talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Philippe Coutinho

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Yes but I then went onto say that players have departed in meidterm throughout history. Otherwise there'd be no need for negotiation. Contracts mean nothing other than a negotiating tool these days. If a player wants to leave, you're gonna find it difficult to maintain him. 

Clearly.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a fan of the club, I want the club to move forward. And simply for that reason alone keeping Coutinho for one more season trumps any amount of money. 

If we get huge money at this point of time we would most likely not be able to utilise it or overpay on some average talent. That doesn't improve the club.

The other option is keeping Coutinho. I will cite Suarez's example, who even thought of suing the club when Arsenal came calling. We kept him and almost won the league. Keeping Coutinho doesn't guarantee us another title run, but it makes our chances of making the top 4 stronger, which is important for the club to grow; for Klopp's project to grow.

As for Coutinho. Irrespective of his tantrums and behaviour, come September and if he is here, he will straighten up, apologise and play. It's a world cup year and he knows its importance. As for fans, well, we suckers will gladly accept him. 

He might have a bad, injury ravaged or average season. But if he has a decent/good season with decent WC, the price will keep high. More importantly, we will finish  a higher in the table. We might or might not get 100+ plus next season, but I rather have that and a top 4 finish instead of getting 120+ now and finishing at seventh or eight.

Barcelona would be mad to bid any more. I am chuffed we have rejected this much. It it were mid July then I'd of took that but it's too late now.

Like iggy said, he'll apologies once the window closes and he play to the best of his abilities. It's a WC year and he will not do anything to jeapordise that. The price will stay the same, and if he shines at the WC, it will increase. We gain nothing from selling him now.

It's not even about how much Coutinho is worth (not that there even seems to be an objective standard of "worth" these days). 

There simply isn't enough time to replace him. Even an inflated fee won't offset the disruption to Liverpool's whole season. 

41 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yeah don't understand the logic that we should sell.

Money has proven worthless this transfer window. Its been close to the stupidest window ever. 

You make a good point, the market is inflated but I still think there are bargain out there. PSG, for example, is a club in need to sell players, and they have some class footballers on that squad. In a deal with Barcelona you could also ask for some players back, Denis Suárez and Samper maybe? Also, Nice has been very clear they will sell Seri for the right price. 

Liverpool and Barcelona are both playing for their fans here. Coutinho is a good player, but not that good.  Liverpool should sell him, I still think they can build a better overall team with that money. 

Yeah maybe but consider that we actually haven't even spent they money we had allocated mate. We offered 120m plus for keita and vvd. We already have plenty to spend. 

What good is another 120m sitting there unused?

Another issue with recent summers is where we sign 7 players and totally uppend the squad putting us a few more years away froma solid established playing group and never brings immediate success. 

We need stability and very selective improvement if we are to go anywhere this season. 

GK, CB, CM.

• Administrator

I think it's safe to say after rejecting a bid that high, it's not happening. Equally how Barca have conducted business here is laughable and embarrassing. If I was a Barca fan I'd be furious. The comments coming from Segura (?) stating that they were talking to the clubs about the players but Borussia Dortmund, who are publicly listed and have to tell the stock market of activity, haven't heard from Barca in 3 weeks. To me, it's time FIFA and UEFA with the clubs agreed a media policy because it's become beyond tedious now 

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Thick as a plank, time we got rid of these people who can't string a proper sentence together when speaking and get football weekly on the tv.

The last thing Jenas is is as thick as a plank, he's very articulate as football pundits go. I think he's misjudged the Coutinho situation but on the whole he's very good

40 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Jenas is no different that the rest. Softly spoken accent gets him out of trouble. 

Shite. 

Yup, though tbf Phil Neville's accent sounds as thick as the actual content of what he says and he still gets all the air time you could ask for.

• Subscriber

Still think Liverpool should have taken the money. Yes you want to be a club that prioritises good players over keeping money, but what are Liverpool going to achieve this season just to lose Coutinho anyway next summer? It's not like they're going to win the league if they keep him. Take the money, Liverpool's attack is good enough to get them into the top four with or without Coutinho, in fact by the end of this season I could see Mane being rated more highly than Coutinho. Spend the money so you've got a top four defence to go with the top four attack and then push on.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Still think Liverpool should have taken the money. Yes you want to be a club that prioritises good players over keeping money, but what are Liverpool going to achieve this season just to lose Coutinho anyway next summer? It's not like they're going to win the league if they keep him. Take the money, Liverpool's attack is good enough to get them into the top four with or without Coutinho, in fact by the end of this season I could see Mane being rated more highly than Coutinho. Spend the money so you've got a top four defence to go with the top four attack and then push on.

I disagree. I don't think we could finish top 4 without Coutinho in all honesty. Especially with champions league potentially in the frame. 

• The title was changed to Philippe Coutinho Officially Signs for FC Barcelona
  • The topic was locked

Archived