talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Philippe Coutinho

I really don't know if this is a good signing for Barcelona and definitely at the price it could go for.  But this board at Barça have done some of the worst negotiating in the history of the club by overpaying for players that in many cases don't fit.  Coutinho may fit but I don't think he's required in what he can do best, not now.

I understand that he's worth a lot to Liverpool and Liverpool fans should look out for the best interests of the club which is the player staying first and foremost and if that's impossible, then for an extraordinary price at best.  But what Liverpool want and feel has nothing to do with the buying club...  The buying club in this case should be looking out for what's best for them and the player at over £60m is paying too much.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

On what do you base that sum as Coutinho's worth?

On a hypothetical presumption on what he can deliver at the top end?

Or on what he has delivered in his time at Liverpool?

He is roughly 2 to 3 times as important to us as £50m Kyle Walker was to spurs. 

40 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We signed Mane and Salah for £75m, sold Sterling and Ibe for £65m. We're pretty decent at getting value for our players that haven't been totally written off. Let alone those wanted by Barcelona.

Quite frankly, Coutinho is worth much more to us than Sterling or Ibe ever were. He has delivered more consistently and he's got the potential to grow into an even better player. And in this transfer market, selling him should mean we are getting an outrageous fee. Because we simply will not be able to buy a suitable replacement and it would fuck our preparations for the season at this point.

As Machado said, even a ridiculous fee would not be a good deal for us. It would simply be a lot of money for our next rebuilding project. Which I think all Liverpool fans are sick to death of experiencing.

We did have our pants pulled down by Barca over Suarez though to be fair

5 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

You can't relate today's transfer fees this summer on what Suárez went for.  That was a big transfer fee at the time coupled with his ban and all the shenanigans that had gone on in the past with him.  That was avery good deal then for Luis Suárez.

16 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

You can't relate today's transfer fees this summer on what Suárez went for.  That was a big transfer fee at the time coupled with his ban and all the shenanigans that had gone on in the past with him.  That was avery good deal then for Luis Suárez.

I didn't mention anything about today's fees. Look at what Bale went for a year before Suarez

56 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Suarez fucked us by getting a lengthy ban for his vampirism.

I do think it was bullshit we didn't get more. This time though we don't have a player who kicked up a major fuss the year before in question.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

I really don't know if this is a good signing for Barcelona and definitely at the price it could go for.  But this board at Barça have done some of the worst negotiating in the history of the club by overpaying for players that in many cases don't fit.  Coutinho may fit but I don't think he's required in what he can do best, not now.

I understand that he's worth a lot to Liverpool and Liverpool fans should look out for the best interests of the club which is the player staying first and foremost and if that's impossible, then for an extraordinary price at best.  But what Liverpool want and feel has nothing to do with the buying club...  The buying club in this case should be looking out for what's best for them and the player at over £60m is paying too much.

What a load of bullshit. What any selling club wants is of huge importance to the sale of a player when they don't want to sell and the player is on a long contract.

Obviously the buying club should look out for what's best for the buying club, but if they want a player from the selling club then the selling club is obviously going to have a say in the value. He's our most valuable player on a 5 year contract with no release clause and we're just back in the CL. If Barca want him and we're absolutely right to demand an insane price.

It's exactly what Saints are doing with us, and Leipzig too. And they're well within their rights to, especially in this window. It's a seller's market.

Less goals and assists than Sigurdsson in the last three seasons. 

They should shut up, accept that 72 and go and buy Gylfi from under us. Make a nice little profit whilst improving their team. 

3 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Less goals and assists than Sigurdsson in the last three seasons. 

They should shut up, accept that 72 and go and buy Gylfi from under us. Make a nice little profit whilst improving their team. 

xD

10 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I mean yeah, you could argue with facts. 

Don't get me wrong, Phillipe Coutinho is fucking quality, world class without a doubt but his stats aren't as good as Sigurdsson. That's not anyone seeing things from rose tinted glasses,  it's what's being proved on paper.

#mesqueunclub

It's almost as if you're agreeing that we should sell Coutinho and buy Sig and that it would be an upgrade? 

As if you actually think Sig is better? xD

Would be better for 'The Redmen' if they went down that route. 

Use that money made towards Keita, get VVD done and then onto glory. Only really Barca and Real Madrid who could give them problems in the CL. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Remember two years ago when I said that Coutinho on form is world class and just as good as Neymar, people thought it was a joke :coffee:

Me and you also had a debate just before that when you were saying Oscar was the better player :what:

6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Me and you also had a debate just before that when you were saying Oscar was the better player :what:

Because at the time, he was. Was also Brasil's #10.

Coutinho continued to progress whereas Oscar faded to obscurity and the former now takes his rightful place in Brasil's lineup. Just goes to show how good Coutinho is considering he has continued to impress me to a point where I can now say he is better than a player I originally valued. 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Remember two years ago when I said that Coutinho on form is world class and just as good as Neymar, people thought it was a joke :coffee:

it's not a joke but it's also not true. 

Coutinho is a great player, but Neymar is better than a world-class Coutinho. 

8 minutes ago, Stan said:

it's not a joke but it's also not true. 

Coutinho is a great player, but Neymar is better than a world-class Coutinho. 

An on form Coutinho has bent over Arsenal, Chelsea, United, Dortmund, Spurs, Argentina and the list continues. 

Consistency is his issue, and I respect your opinion. But I'll always back the claim that when on form, he's as good as any player that isn't named Messi or Ronaldo. Neymar is vastly valued too highly by some. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

An on form Coutinho has bent over Arsenal, Chelsea, United, Dortmund, Spurs, Argentina and the list continues. 

Consistency is his issue, and I respect your opinion. But I'll always back the claim that when on form, he's as good as any player that isn't named Messi or Ronaldo. 

You can also see the consistency coming recently. He's only 24 and in my opinion is on the verge of being a very very special player. 

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

I mean yeah, you could argue with facts. 

Don't get me wrong, Phillipe Coutinho is fucking quality, world class without a doubt but his stats aren't as good as Sigurdsson. That's not anyone seeing things from rose tinted glasses,  it's what's being proved on paper.

#mesqueunclub

Have a feeling you're looking for bites, particularly from MadLad because of his love of stats but I'll bite anyway. Stats are useless without any context and are how Liverpool ended up with shite like Stewart Downing and Charlie Adam.

Certain kinds of players will always accrue stats that exaggerate their ability. 

For example, players who put in a load of crosses might get a lot of assists, but that doesn't make them a great creative player. 

Same thing goes for set piece merchants. 

• Subscriber

Money really is no object in football is it. United paying 80m for a bang average Pogba has removed the taboo of 60m+ transfer fees.

I'll smirk if Coutinho leaves Liverpool regardless of how many zeroes are on the cheque because they can't get a realistic replacement and it'll weaken their team. The difference between that and us losing Lukaku is that Liverpool were not expecting Coutinho to leave.

Barca and their bizarre borderline religious following pays off again, great job on their PR. It's like Ferrari in F1. People just get hypnotised and go there because it's Barcelona or it's Ferrari. In reality, Barcelona shouldn't even be perceived as a bigger club than Liverpool or Man Utd but because so much shite has been spouted by sad act fan boys over the years about Barcelona being "special", they can pretty much get any player they want. 

• The title was changed to Philippe Coutinho Officially Signs for FC Barcelona
  • The topic was locked

Archived