talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Who Will Finish Where?

football forum

Football League edition...

You don't have to pick the entire league, but try and fit in the teams people support on here, I may have missed a couple:

Championship

• Aston Villa
  • Brentford
  • Bolton
  • Cardiff
  • Leeds
  • Preston
  • Sheff Utd
  • QPR
  • Hull

League One

• Blackburn Rovers

Non-League

• Leyton Orient

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
8 minutes ago, Danny said:

You don't have to pick the entire league, but try and fit in the teams people support on here, I may have missed a couple:

Championship

• Aston Villa - 2nd
  • Brentford - 8th
  • Bolton - 19th
  • Cardiff - 9th
  • Leeds - 5th
  • Preston - 11th
  • Sheff Utd - 17th
  • QPR - 14th
  • Hull - 10th

League One

• Blackburn Rovers - 1st

Non-League

• Leyton Orient - 2nd

4 hours ago, Danny said:

Championship

• Aston Villa - 5th
  • Brentford - 9th
  • Bolton - 21st
  • Cardiff - 15th
  • Leeds - 8th
  • Preston - 7th
  • Sheff Utd - 14th
  • QPR - 18th
  • Hull - 15th

League One

• Blackburn Rovers - 4th

Non-League

• Leyton Orient - 2nd

I really don't think many of the Championship fans on here will have much to shout about this year - Preston are my dark horses for the year and could run close to a play-off spot, with a decent manager for this level, seem to be sustainably run, and appear to be a club very much on the up. Leeds may come close too, but I think there are much stronger teams in the division.

QPR could flirt with relegation, we might just stay up by the skin of our teeth. 

For what it's worth, I think Ipswich, Burton and Barnsley will drop this year. Sheffield Wednesday and Fulham to go up automatically, someone like Norwich to go up through the playoffs.

22 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

I really don't think many of the Championship fans on here will have much to shout about this year - Preston are my dark horses for the year and could run close to a play-off spot, with a decent manager for this level, seem to be sustainably run, and appear to be a club very much on the up. Leeds may come close too, but I think there are much stronger teams in the division.

QPR could flirt with relegation, we might just stay up by the skin of our teeth. 

For what it's worth, I think Ipswich, Burton and Barnsley will drop this year. Sheffield Wednesday and Fulham to go up automatically, someone like Norwich to go up through the playoffs.

QPR are one of about seven teams that I reckon could go. Haven't been impressed with them at all under Ollie. I think Ipswich will be ok right now. Barnsley have had a torrid twelve months.

I completely forgot about Norwich but I agree with Fulham and Wednesday being in the mix at the moment. That could change if Fulham sell Aluko mind you.

Ill do my predictions on September 1st. Get a good perspective on the teams that way.

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 5:45 PM, Aaroncpfc said:

QPR are one of about seven teams that I reckon could go. Haven't been impressed with them at all under Ollie. I think Ipswich will be ok right now. Barnsley have had a torrid twelve months.

I completely forgot about Norwich but I agree with Fulham and Wednesday being in the mix at the moment. That could change if Fulham sell Aluko mind you.

Ill do my predictions on September 1st. Get a good perspective on the teams that way.

Cheat. We'd have had 5 games by then.

Championship

• Aston Villa 2nd - Should be there or thereabouts now they have a good balance of experience and quality.
  • Brentford 6th - Been knocking on the door of playoff's again since reaching them three season's ago. Only strengthened, not weakened, dark horse.
  • Bolton 22nd - Think they will struggle. I'm not sure if they are quite as battle hardened as you need to be to survive this league.
  • Cardiff 9th - Warnock will play boring but effective football and get results. Would expect a top half finish, but ultimately not enough quality.
  • Leeds 8th - Think last season was a good platform for us but with so many changes, albeit, positive one's, I still don't think we're there quality wise.
  • Preston 14th - Mid table. Neither hear or there. Think losing Grayson was a loss for them.
  • Sheff Utd 12th A plucky competitive team that will relish the Yorkshire derbies as it's been a little while for them.
  • QPR 20th - Nothing but a hard struggle for them which will result in another change of manager and a fight for survival.
  • Hull 10th - A lot of upheaval there, new manager experiencing a different culture, I feel it's a stabilising year for Hull in the same way Villa performed last year.

League One

• Blackburn Rovers 1st - It would be a toss up between them and Wigan for me for 1st place.

Non-League

• Leyton Orient 7th - I have a feeling despite all the mess they will just about get a playoff spot.

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Cheat. We'd have had 5 games by then.

Championship

• Aston Villa 2nd - Should be there or thereabouts now they have a good balance of experience and quality.
  • Brentford 6th - Been knocking on the door of playoff's again since reaching them three season's ago. Only strengthened, not weakened, dark horse.
  • Bolton 22nd - Think they will struggle. I'm not sure if they are quite as battle hardened as you need to be to survive this league.
  • Cardiff 9th - Warnock will play boring but effective football and get results. Would expect a top half finish, but ultimately not enough quality.
  • Leeds 8th - Think last season was a good platform for us but with so many changes, albeit, positive one's, I still don't think we're there quality wise.
  • Preston 14th - Mid table. Neither hear or there. Think losing Grayson was a loss for them.
  • Sheff Utd 12th A plucky competitive team that will relish the Yorkshire derbies as it's been a little while for them.
  • QPR 20th - Nothing but a hard struggle for them which will result in another change of manager and a fight for survival.
  • Hull 10th - A lot of upheaval there, new manager experiencing a different culture, I feel it's a stabilising year for Hull in the same way Villa performed last year.

League One

• Blackburn Rovers 1st - It would be a toss up between them and Wigan for me for 1st place.

Non-League

• Leyton Orient 7th - I have a feeling despite all the mess they will just about get a playoff spot.

We were bottom the year we went up on September 1st. Can't tell much from the first month at all.Its a marathon not a sprint.

17 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

We were bottom the year we went up on September 1st. Can't tell much from the first month at all.Its a marathon not a sprint.

I totally get what you mean. And it can happen like that.

But it is just a prediction before a ball is kicked, and I feel enough has happened to get a rough idea how it might pan out, whether that be close or far away.

18 hours ago, Dan said:

I'm not as convinced by Sheff Weds as most people. Most of their fans I've seen want their manager out.

The thing with them, Fulham and Reading is they haven't weakened over the summer. So they really should all make the playoffs again.

• 2 weeks later...

1, Middlesbrough- They've gone about there business in the right fashion. A young manager with Premier League experience that surpassed expectations with a difficult team to Manage last season, A forward who when fit is clinical in front of goal, and the core of the team that done well in this division previously. They may lose Ben Gibson but I wouldn't put it past Monk to find a suitable replacement. I'll be surprised if they're out of the top four.

2, Reading - whilst losing Williams is a blow they have kept the core of their squad and kept Jaap Stam who seems to be a very knowledgeable, forward thinking Manager. There's no reason to suggest they should be worse off this season.

3, Fulham - it looks like they're going to keep Jokanovic and the key players. The academy prospects will keep improving, getting Kalas back is a massive coup, and allowing Jokanovic full control of transfers is only strengthening my belief they've recruited well. AK47 has to do well.

4, Sheffield Wednesday - Given how they've conducted themselves over the previous two years I was expecting them to flex more financial muscle this summer. It's going to be a big year for Carvajal which is why I think they'll perform. A slow start or a lack of a promotion push and I think he's a goner.

5, Aston Villa - I don't buy this notion that they should be favorites because of their experienced squad because with that experience comes a lot of age. I think having Steve Bruces track record will see them in the playoffs but they'll have to give everything if they want to get promoted.

6, Derby County - There were plenty of Championship teams beginning to get there shit together in the last third of the season and of them I reckon Derby look the best equipped. They've got a good manager whose signed experienced characters that should be enough to help the current talented crop to overcome the mental block that stops them achieving what they should.

7, Wolves  - One year I reckon it will all just click with Wolves. Just like it did with QPR and Watford. I'm just not sure if this is that year.

8, Sheffield United - it feels like a while since we saw a league one team really take it to teams in this division but given how dominant and confident this young team took it to teams under Chris Wilder last season I reckon they could surprise people next season. The Steel City Derby should be competitive and interesting for all the right reasons this season.

9, Cardiff City - Under Neil Warnock i expect them to be competitive. I don't think his squad is as good as he  would like due to financial restrictions but I think he will appreciate and benefit from the additional numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if they jumped in to the playoffs which would be a very good season.

10, Brentford - I expect them to improve gradually but I don't think it will be enough to make the playoffs.

11, Norwich City - whilst they have a good squad of paper, and last season was an exception to the rule with many case examples, usually appointing a manager that doesn't understand the culture of the division ends in disaster. Not everyone can be David Wagner. I imagine they can compete for the playoffs with the squad they have but I'll be surprised if they make the playoffs.

12, Preston North End - I was concerned for them when I heard that they had lost Simon Grayson but Alex Neil is a progressive Manager who should suit the club. If given enough time I expect him to do a good job.

13, Leeds United - I know nothing about there manager, or most of there new players, or there new owner. So I really wouldn't be surprised if they finished anywhere from second top to second bottom.

14, Sunderland - They've had a losing mentality for such a long time they'd need almost an entirely new squad that would be impossible to achieve and integrate successfully in one window. Not to mention a lack of creativity, sellable assets etc. I think they could be here for a while.

15, Ipswich Town - Whilst they're clearly struggling to compete with other clubs in terms of finances they still have an excellent manager with a good turnover of academy players. Keep things as they are and I reckon they should avoid a relegation battle.

16, Hull City - The Allams seem on a mission to get rid of anybody who shows to be any value. Even if they have a good start I imagine they'll lose key players in January. They're only heading one way at the moment which is why I'm surprised they managed to attract somebody with a good reputation around Europe in Slutsky.

17, Bolton Wanderers - They've got a good manager and a good mix of experience and youth within their ranks. I don't expect them to pull up trees upon their return but I'd be surprised if they really struggled.

18, Millwall - They seem to have rediscovered the identity under Neil Harris they lost when Kenny Jackett left by bringing back key figures and adding players that can gradually improve with them. I think them and Bolton will have similar seasons providing they don't panic sack which I can't imagine Millwall doing given Harris legend status at the club.

19, Queens Park Rangers - Ollie didn't have the motivation factor I'm sure the owners were hopeing he'd have. I anticipate another difficult season whilst they keep cost cutting.

20, Bristol City - I've not been convinced by Johnson and this is the squad he's built now. They're one of a number of teams that I can see changing there managed and how they react to the next appointment being the big factor in where they finish.

21, Birmingham City - Harry Redknapp to leave after not getting targets he'd want? Given the Zola appointment, I don't fancy the new owners to make a sensible appointment either. 

22, Nottingham Forest - I like what Warburton stands for but I am very skeptical over there new owners. I can see an unexplainable sacking backfiring at some point.

23, Burton Albion - I feel terrible for putting them down for relegation but how long can they persuade Clough to stay? Without him I can see a Rotherham-esque collapse.

24, Barnsley - Given there squad has been absolutely ripped to shreds in the last twelve months I reckon they will do very well to survive.

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Ironically, our win tonight means that we have won our first three games of a season for the first time in the clubs history.

However, as great as it is so far, I highly doubt it'll last, especially in our top of the table clash against Wolves on Saturday.

If anyone can stop a free flowing side comfortably beating anyone with a horrific 0-0 draw it's Neil Warnock.

• 2 weeks later...

League One:

Winners: Bradford City - They've been improving season upon season and I cannot see that changing now.

Automatic: Blackburn Rovers - They'll need more than marquee signings to boss the league. Motivation will be crucial. 

Playoff winners: Scunthorpe - I think tailing off at the end of last season will be used as motivation to get them over the hurdle

Playoffs: Fleetwood, Portsmouth, Doncaster.

Relegated:

Bristol Rovers - This league looks real competitive this season so they could finish anywhere in the bottom half. But based on squads, and reputation, and what little knowledge I have of this division. I'd have to put them below all the other teams.

Northampton - See above.

Blackpool - With the way they're ran and the fact they weren't convincing last season I think promotion has come a season too early.

Oldham - Can't believe they survived last season. Every time I watched them on the highlights program they looked shite.

-------

League Two:

Champions - Luton Town: really should have got promoted last season.

Automatic - Swindon Town: They never hang around for too long at this level

Automatic - Mansfield Town: Steve Evans is one of those annoying characters that seems to land on his feet all the time.

Playoff Winners - Colchester United: On paper they still seem to have a good team for this level.

Playoffs - Chesterfield, Exeter, Wycombe

Relegated:

Crawley Town - They're a mess. Harry Kewell has only got the job because of his links with Turkey and the owner is Turkish. They're destined to drop at some point.

Cheltenham - Didn't hit the ground running at all last season so they seem like a sensible bet.

-----

National League:

Winners: Tramnere

Playoffs: Hartlepool

• Subscriber
On 8/16/2017 at 6:43 PM, Dan said:

If anyone can stop a free flowing side comfortably beating anyone with a horrific 0-0 draw it's Neil Warnock.

Hahahahahaha he went one better

Archived