talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football League 2017/18 - 4th-6th August 2017

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Toony said:

Good to see Brentford have started their inevitable road to the Premier League with a loss against a newly-promoted side. May as well just give them the title now.

Being mugged off by a supporter of a yoyo club 😂

16 minutes ago, Danny said:

After our loss yesterday someone tweeted the owner a load of shit and he responded 😂

I can't stand fans like that. You can guarantee he would have been no where to be seen when you were playing in the fourth tier almost four years ago.

18 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

No shame in losing to this Sheffield United team. Possibly the best team to come up in a long time.

They've got a good side and it's only the first game of the season, generally we pick up the pace in the second half so as long as we're near the playoffs in 2017 we'll be doing well.

16 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I can't stand fans like that. You can guarantee he would have been no where to be seen when you were playing in the fourth tier almost four years ago.

It's just the ignorance, he's a lifelong supporter, essentially saved us from spiralling and has made us a Championship club with class players and a sustainable business model. Some people have accused him of pocketing money which is insane. Can't please everyone.

After such a positive summer yesterday was a let down. As usual, we don't start well (in games or seasons) and give ourselves too much to do. Mulgrew's goal was top quality but apart from that we were poor bar the first 15 minutes at either start of the halves. I stayed in the same hotel as the players and while they all looked relaxed and in good spirits, on the day of the game they had little focus apart from a short walk and they had a lot of time to themselves which probably means a lot of time to over think...

Onwards and upwards, this squad is far too good for the league but we have to now show it.

1 hour ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I was impressed with Leeds yesterday. Seemed to have a good shape about them and were clinical in the first half. Fair play to Bolton for showing the character to stay in that game.

I was impressed too. I felt we could take a lot of positives out of that, coupled with a few negatives to work on.

In the main, we played some really good football and looked threatening going forward. The creativity shown on corners was encouraging because you can see that tactically, we knew we couldn't match Bolton by just tossing the ball in the box all the time and the first goal was a result of that. I also though the third goal was brilliant, about 15-20 passes before the ball was tapped in. The scruffy finish made it look a soft goal but it was better than that, particularly Hernandez's killer through ball to Wood onside.

However, we did struggle everytime Bolton pumped the ball in the box. No Pontus Jansson was a massive loss obviously and I'm still very sceptical that dropping Green for a younger German keeper was a bad move simply because of how well Green communicated with the defence. Bolton are strong at the direct stuff and prayed on our weakness there. For Everton fans wanting to know, Pennington was very promising before he went off injured and we missed him after that.

Eunan O'Kane was brilliant in midfield, kept everything ticking over setting up our attacks. Pablo Hernandez was on it, the hub of our creativity. Phillips was enterprising, getting forward a lot from midfield and winning balls, although he tailed off in the second half. Luke Ayling was absolutely solid and composed at RB. Exactly what he was like last season. Vernon Anita slotted in well at LB when Berardi got injured and looked very composed for us. Chris Wood did what Chris Wood does, clinical.

All in all, a decent start and plenty to be optimistic about but it is just the first game. Bolton were tricky opponents. I felt we deserved the win but they made us work hard for it, especially second half. Think @StefBWFC might look at it and feel they could have had a point but either way, he can take some positives out of that in that they can hurt teams at this level. I just think they will need more variety than just direct play, especially against stronger defensive sides. And obviously they will need to get that defence sorted. A couple signings of experience to go with a few of the younger players they have could be pivitol I feel.

Can't fault the support either, was great seeing some of the new lads turn to the away end and smiling. A good taster for them.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived