talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Cup Qualification (CONMEBOL) - August 31st and September 5th

37 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

the only difference is that Maradona single-handedly won trophies for Argentina, unlike Messi. i fucking knew it that Sampioli would fail. 

So much idiocy in this statement I don't know where to begin 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Don't see anything regarding a falling out, merely statements from Sampaoli that Messi is the only guaranteed starter on the team, and rightly so. Too many under performers. 

Its picking up steam very slowly.

https://www.infobae.com/deportes-2/2017/09/04/jorge-sampaoli-hablo-sobre-la-supuesta-pelea-con-lionel-messi/

Clarin also said that he denied the rumour, but take your pick on what to believe. I personally think Sampaoli will still be around come October, but it goes to show why managers like Simeone have no interest in managing Argentina.

Just now, Stan said:

who does the team in 5th play in a play-off for qualification?

New Zealand, so its basically a free pass for South America.

All due respect to the All Whites but they've been awful since the 2010 WC.

Just now, Teso dos Bichos said:

infobae....

you need better sauces libby

Its a respected source in Argentina, just cause the name has "bae" doesn't mean it was made as a joke.

In terms of the "sauces" bit, I'm happy with mayonase on fries. Cheers.

• Administrator
Just now, Blue said:

New Zealand, so its basically a free pass for South America.

All due respect to the All Whites but they've been awful since the 2010 WC.

if they play Peru I can't wait to see Chris Wood at the World Cup :) 

Just now, Stan said:

if they play Peru I can't wait to see Chris Wood at the World Cup :) 

Nice try :D

New Zealand don't have a chance against any team from South America in 2 legs. Not even Bolivia.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Blue said:

Nice try :D

New Zealand don't have a chance against any team from South America in 2 legs. Not even Bolivia.

Luxembourg drew 0-0 in France so anything is possible.

Just now, Stan said:

Luxembourg drew 0-0 in France so anything is possible.

Of course it is, but if we play New Zealand we would be heavy favourites and anything other than a win would be a disappointment.

Keep in mind New Zealand lost out the nation cup to Tahiti (loss to New Caledonia in semi's) and had to rely on penalties to win it last year against Papua New Guinea. Lets also not forget how easily they lost to the worst Mexico team in my lifetime in 2013.

Meanwhile Peru in the last 2 years have beaten Brazil, drew Argentina, beat Uruguay and have lost 3 games in their last 17, but I suppose thats none of your business...

• Administrator
Just now, Blue said:

Of course it is, but if we play New Zealand we would be heavy favourites and anything other than a win would be a disappointment.

Keep in mind New Zealand lost out the nation cup to Tahiti (loss to New Caledonia in semi's) and had to rely on penalties to win it last year against Papua New Guinea. Lets also not forget how easily they lost to the worst Mexico team in my lifetime in 2013.

Meanwhile Peru in the last 2 years have beaten Brazil, drew Argentina, beat Uruguay and have lost 3 games in their last 17, but I suppose thats none of your business...

thanks, i think that's the first time you've mentioned this :) 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

thanks, i think that's the first time you've mentioned this :) 

Well you choose not to believe me when I say we're playing well so what choice do I have xD

You can keep your predictions. New Zealand in my eyes have no chance against any South American side.

1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

:rofl:xD you continue to brag about the handball victory over brazil lmfao minnow mentality xD doesnt surprise me from someone that uses the rankings as a reference. libby do you know the countries that are already qualified to the WC? xD all this talk about what peru can do and they wont even make it to the WC you :clown: 40+ years and counting 

To be fair, you call it a minnow mentality, I seem to remember you bragging about getting a draw in Brazil, something Bolivia did in 2010.

At least we beat Brazil. That's all we care about.

25 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

please enlighten me cicero and show me the trophies messi has helped Argentina win... not counting the Olympics.

Since when is national team success the pinnacle of a players' worth? Again, that is the most retarded thing I've ever heard. Was Ronaldo any less because he's never won the Champions League? Was your beloved Paul Scholes any less because he's won fuck all with England and was never in the top 3 for the halon d'Or like Gerrard or Lampard were? Guess Raul Abiol and Arbeloa are better defenders than Bonucci and Maldini. Messi has always been the only consistent performer on the national side, and he has carried his team of under performers to 3 consecutive finals. 

You go on about how Maradona 'single-handedly' carried his Argentina side to the world cup, (which in itself is a laughable suggestion), yet are failing to comprehend the simple fact that even though he had inferior players compared to Messi, they however performed as a team. Passarella, Burruchaga, Batista, Enrique, Valdano, etc all worked together as a cohesive unit and PERFORMED, unlike this current Argentine bunch. You can't say any current Argentine player, even though they may be individually better, perform better than the players of the 86' team. 

2 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

a world cup match, something you know shit about as your country has never played in your lifetime. xD rafa marquez alone will hav more WCs apperances than peru. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Come back to me when you've next beaten a South American side.

You know that continent where in competitive matches Mexico has only won once since the world cup. 8 matches, 1 victory.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Love going into a new thread, groaning when I realise there's like 50 new replies to read, only to see that it's Brian and or Teso monging out so I can just skip to the end.

It honestly isn't as bad anymore, at least for me anyways. He's annoying but I just decided to chill out. 

You can tell by me having cut out the insults.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Blue said:

It honestly isn't as bad anymore, at least for me anyways. He's annoying but I just decided to chill out. 

You can tell by me having cut out the insults.

very brave of you, Brian. Congrats. 

Today we could either continue dreaming and believe even more, or our world cup hopes could end. If we lose today we won't be out of it, but we'll be forced to win our last 2 and Argentina away regardless of how poor they've been, may be too much.

I honestly think its time to finally win a round of world cup qualifying. By that I mean winning 2 in a row in a certain international date. We technically have won the last 2, but prior to Bolivia the last game was in March. 

So here is my preferred lineup vs what has been confirmed.

Carvallo

Advincula - Rodriguez - Ramos - Trauco

Yotun - Tapia

Carrillo - Cueva - Flores

Guerrero

Channel 4 here has just said Yotun will be back for this match. They may have gotten it wrong but he's better and ready to play. He is so important to this side as he offers such a dynamic middle. A mix of first touch unpredictable grounded passes, or long balls over for one of the wingers or Guerrero can run for. 

Advincula is one I would play. I've always been on team Aldo Corzo, but Advincula plays for Lobos in Puebla which is in altitude. He's somewhat used to it. Aquino too, but he's suspended for this. Tapia hasn't been great as of late. I blame lack of playing time at Feyenoord for that, but he's the only choice really. The other 2 midfielders aren't good enough yet in my opinion.

Frontline same as always. Its going to be a contest between who's faster: Antonio Valencia or Andre Carrillo.

Anyways this is the confirmed lineup.

Caceda

Corzo - Rodriguez - Ramos - Trauco

Tapia - Peña

Carrillo - Cueva - Flores

Guerrero

Caceda shouldn't be near the lineup, but he's better than Diego Penny at least. Jose Carvallo who plays in the altitude of Cajamarca (similar to that of Quito) should be the keeper. Not only is he actually quite good, but also having home games 2700 metres above sea level at club helps here. Caceda plays for Universitario, and I honestly don't rate him at club level, never mind international.

I'm also against Corzo starting. He's pure spirit and has done nothing to be benched, but again Advincula who was not only brilliant vs Bolivia also plays in altitude. Not quite as high up as Quito but that experience would have helped. Corzo was to be played against Argentina, Advincula was made for this game. He's also not gonna be marking Antonio Valencia so I don't think we should be so worried to play him just for that. Not to underestimate that Ecuadorian left wing, but Corzo has done well against Alexis Sanchez, Angel Di Maria and Neymar. Considering he plays for Universitario which isn't based in a mountain, this for me isn't the best change. However, the explanation may well have to do with him wanting to keep Ecuadorian counters at bay, so there is a huge chance I could be wrong. We'll see.

Midfield worries me. Renato Tapia doesn't get playing time for Feyenoord, and this is an issue that has gone back a while. In the last 2 games he's played for Peru he's been poor. Not a bad player by any means, he's just lacking sharpness. Peña on the other hand, again not a bad player. The Granada manager seems to rate him, but every time he's played for Peru he's been awful. This is the position that worries me. Christian Noboa will have fun in that middle. I really hope Gareca makes a last minute change and adds Yotun.

Front line same as always. Jefferson Farfan has been benched. I thought he played well against Bolivia. Most people seem to think he was poor, but I feel they were expecting too much of "la foca". I feel like I was the only one who knew he's no longer in his prime, and he's not at half the level he was at Schalke. For an overall game he performed well. For his standards, he performed poorly, but again at Lokomotiv Moscow he's not been anywhere near as good as he once was, so I really don't know what people were expecting of him. It was obvious that he just fits into the team quality wise, but he's no longer our best player. I'm on board with the decision to bench him. As I said, he was good but we need to stick to the front 4 that performed so well since the Copa America. No time to make changes just to accommodate what was our former "best player". Stick to whats been working so well in the last few matches.

Our best opportunity to win in Quito, a place where we've never won. They historically don't know how to handle pressure. Technically, neither have we, but this team is completely different where as I don't see a change in Ecuador. I still think we'll get at most a draw, hope I'm wrong.

VIVA PERU!!!

Lineups for the game Bolivia vs Chile

Bolivia's frontline is actually quite decent - but I say that playing in La Paz. As shown away from home they aren't too effective.

Chile bench Castillo after last week. Overall I think Bolivia will win but despite this being in La Paz, I'd say Chile are still favourites. Both Brazil and Argentina are always underdogs in La Paz, Chile proved the last 2 qualifiers that they can win in La Paz. Not an easy game for either side nevertheless.

Just now, Stan said:

How can you think Bolivia will win but also say Chile are favourites? It doesn't make sense. 

Jesus, you are just trolling now for the sake of it.

I think Bolivia will win, but Chile are overall favourites. Its that simple. Its like putting a bet on Darmstadt to beat Bayern Munich. You think they will win, but its obvious Bayern are the pick by many.

Ecuadors lineup. Well shit, they actually decided to put out their best 11 for once, and of course in time to play us. 

That midfield will dominate us unless Yotun plays. Cazares is a brilliant attacking midfielder who should have gotten his chance a long time ago. Antonio Valencia is lethal on the counter and is the man I'm fearing the most.

I must say in the defence I'm not familiar with Arboleda and Velasco. First I've heard of them. Achillier is a player I didn't rate for the longest time, but he's been excellent since moving to Monarcas so we're gonna hope we don't catch his good side today. Cristian Ramirez is a very underrated full back, another who should have gotten his chance long ago.

If Ecuador win today, and win comfortably I'll add I think it goes to show their decline really was on Quinteros.

Archived