Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Tuesday 8th August - UEFA Super Cup - Real Madrid 2-1 Manchester United

SirBalon    717
2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

True. The bad news is their finishing is still appalling. 

Forget finishing!  Even if they finished what they started you get the sense that certain clubs will select the next gear and get the job done anyway.

The reason I've given Man Utd even more stick (because losing to Real Madrid isn't exactly unusual) is because THIS Real Madrid right now is a tactical mess!  Everyone knows this in Spain and even though pre-season is pre-season and this was a "competitive" match, this meant more to Man Utd than Real Madrid for so many obvious reasons.  It's simple...  Manchester United today are just a brandname, an overhyped brandname with very little meaning behind it aside from domestic success.  They're not even the biggest name in England!

• Upvote 2

Matic had a good first twenty minutes where he was actually running, then for the remainder of the game he decided to be his old passive self for the rest of the match.

Cannabis    1,156
Just now, carefreeluke said:

Matic had a good first twenty minutes where he was actually running, then decided to be his old self and be passive for the rest of the match.

You can already see which club is going to be the winner of the Matic deal.

Dan    254
43 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Decent game in patches. Real Madrid miles ahead of United though. 

No excuses for Mourinho this season, commentators on BT chatting shite about how he's still building this team. After signing Lukaku, Pogba, Lindelof, Matic for the money they have you can't use that excuse anymore. United start accepting the perpetual transition period they'll look in the mirror in a few years and see Arsenal.

I think we've gotten progressively worse for making excuses for failure in this country. I swear no-one used to slag off having to play in Europe about 10 years ago other than when you had CSKA Moscow or Dynamo Kiev.

• Upvote 1

Cicero    484
2 hours ago, Pep Talk said:

That Real Madrid midfield is just incredible 

Yup. First time ever I'd agree that UEFA team of the year should consist of 6 or more Real players 

Mel81x    76

Real rightfully took what was theirs and tbh United could have done a lot better with their chances in front of goal. I still want someone to tell me what's so special about Paul Pogba because he looks like a waste of space on the pitch and I wonder why Mourinho even plays him. Doesn't know to disrupt play, runs into cul-de-sacs like a homing pigeon and hasn't got the presence of mind to pass to an open team-mate. Then he'll score the occasional goal and all of the sudden the price is right? Weird. Anyways, that RM midfield is quite stellar. If United could have closed down Modric and Isco I think they might have stood a chance but the way they moved the ball it would have been a miracle. 

Going to be a long season for United and maybe they won't find the same attack caliber in the PL but this team doesn't look like it has completely gelled yet and will take some time to unlock doors with teams that are ultra-defensive.

Panflute    180

Classic Mourinho: "with a video referee we would've had 1-1 and penalties"

Does this retard not know how reality works? Whether or not a team scores hugely influences the balance and momentum of a game, so you can never just subtract one goal made in the first 25 minutes and say "we would've won if it weren't for that one".

ASF    20

Man Utd don't look to have improved that much with those signings.

There's clearly something missing. The defence is not a fortress, the midfield can't dominate games and the attack has a lot of problems opening up ultra-defensive teams.

They will probably finish in the top 4, in the Premier League, but won't go far in the Champions League.