talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Things you don't like about Football

football forum

On 8/12/2017 at 11:32 AM, HoneyNUFC said:

Music when a goal is scored

I love how this is a thing in Germany, yet traditional football in Germany is so much more alive (except RB) than in England. 

Speaking of which, things I don't like about football: Random foreign investors taking over clubs they have no relation to. 

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

random question but as a loyal cule, have you ever been to a copa catalunya match? very unique competition. 

No I haven't...  I was always on holiday while living in Spain when that is played and even if I hadn't been on holiday, I doubt I'd have gone.  It means very little to me and the people it does mean something important to I don't tend to associate with them at all.

1 hour ago, Tsubasa said:

I love how this is a thing in Germany, yet traditional football in Germany is so much more alive (except RB) than in England. 

If English crowds have 1 thing going for them it's the roar of encouragement. Chanting is awful and dead, if it was even ever alive in the first place. Booing and cheering is alive and well. I've yet to come across any country and culture that balances the two effectively.

Music in England is associated with small crowds who don't have enough fans to generate intimidating noise when they score. It's an effective way for those clubs to give the opposition a sinking feeling. I have many haunting memories of Bolton Wanderers from the mid 00's.

Maybe it makes sense in Germany for a similar sort of reason, to give that chill that separates it from the normal noise. Otherwise it would be a very small elevation from chanting atmosphere to a cheer for a goal.

In England when it is silent most of the time it makes the shift to a roar of encouragement or the jubilation of a goal quite powerful. Music would degrade that.

7 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

means very little?? i understand, not being a true catalan probably makes the competition not worthy. so you dont like associating with catalans?1369863871_extras_noticia_foton_7_1.thumb.jpg.4323ad1db4b3122bad3f6e846e713faf.jpg

No!

The competition isn't taken seriously by 99.9% of Barcelona fans and that obviously includes the great majority of Catalans.  But then there's the minority who have more hardcore beliefs and they tend to be the ones that see the Copa Catalunya as something that has some meaning.  Hardly nobody attends the game and it's treated by most in a pre season manner.

I have Catalan family...  I have lived in Barcelona and I get on with Catalans, even those that think differently to me.  But like absolutely everything in life, then you have people that are more partisan and don't know how to use objectivity and criticise...  People that are extreme!  Those are the ones I don't associate with.  Well it's the same in football, if you politicise it, then you've lost me.

• 3 weeks later...

Whenever someone says that Liverpool have never won a title. The PL and the English League are the same thing.

That rebrand was like a brainwash to some people.

To be fair, I totally get that they want to start from scratch. Things like Alan Shearer being the all time top scorer for the Premier League or Gareth Barry being the player with most appearances doesn't bug me, neither does the "Liverpool have no Premier League titles".

What bugs me is that some people use that to try and erase their history. They are arguably the biggest club in the country. You can use it as different era's really.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Was it Leicester fans singing to Sunderland last season the champions of England, you'll never sing that chant? xD

we sang it to all clubs as 'banter' knowing full well some clubs had been champions. 

2 hours ago, Blue said:

Whenever someone says that Liverpool have never won a title. The PL and the English League are the same thing.

Well, no. They say they've never won the Premier League. And technically, they haven't. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

we sang it to all clubs as 'banter' knowing full well some clubs had been champions. 

Well, no. They say they've never won the Premier League. And technically, they haven't. 

It doesn't erase their history. They are still one of the biggest clubs in England.

I've always seen it as a battle between them and Manchester United for that title.

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Theyve won the premier division in this country a few times. 

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Blue said:

It doesn't erase their history. They are still one of the biggest clubs in England.

I've always seen it as a battle between them and Manchester United for that title.

i never said it did :) 

On 21/09/2017 at 5:28 PM, Blue said:

You don't hear it so much these days, but it is an utterly moronic shout. Funny you should mention Shearer, because he's actually not the Premier League's leading goalscorer; most (if not all) of his goals came when it was called the Premiership. Sounds like tedious pedantry doesn't it, but it's exactly the same logic.

• Subscriber
On 9/5/2017 at 0:33 AM, HoneyNUFC said:

If English crowds have 1 thing going for them it's the roar of encouragement. Chanting is awful and dead, if it was even ever alive in the first place. Booing and cheering is alive and well. I've yet to come across any country and culture that balances the two effectively.

Music in England is associated with small crowds who don't have enough fans to generate intimidating noise when they score. It's an effective way for those clubs to give the opposition a sinking feeling. I have many haunting memories of Bolton Wanderers from the mid 00's.

Maybe it makes sense in Germany for a similar sort of reason, to give that chill that separates it from the normal noise. Otherwise it would be a very small elevation from chanting atmosphere to a cheer for a goal.

In England when it is silent most of the time it makes the shift to a roar of encouragement or the jubilation of a goal quite powerful. Music would degrade that.

We play it still and it's embarrassing. I sort of think it's there to almost control the moment.

On 23/09/2017 at 3:37 AM, Danny said:

Listening to Aussies out here who support United/Chelsea/whoever. You live and are from a completely different hemisphere to the team you claim to support, let alone living close to the town or city 😩

I don't have an issue with people from countries with weak leagues supporting big European teams. I expect there are people in England who like American sports for example who like certian American teams so I don't have an issue.

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't have an issue with people from countries with weak leagues supporting big European teams. I expect there are people in England who like American sports for example who like certian American teams so I don't have an issue.

I like South Sydney Rabbitohs in Rugby League(it helps I actually live in Sydney) but I wouldn't say I support them because they could never REALLY be my team. The same way British NFL fans aren't real supporters of those franchises and the same way Aussies aren't real supporters of European clubs. I get a passing interest or having a club you like but they're not real supporters. There's no connection to the club. Fair play if youre first generation Aussie and your dad made you support someone, but that's about it.

And the A League is thriving in terms of attendances in Australia, Sydney FC get bigger attendances as Moore Park than the Roosters and Warritahs do.

7 hours ago, Danny said:

I like South Sydney Rabbitohs in Rugby League(it helps I actually live in Sydney) but I wouldn't say I support them because they could never REALLY be my team. The same way British NFL fans aren't real supporters of those franchises and the same way Aussies aren't real supporters of European clubs. I get a passing interest or having a club you like but they're not real supporters. There's no connection to the club. Fair play if youre first generation Aussie and your dad made you support someone, but that's about it.

And the A League is thriving in terms of attendances in Australia, Sydney FC get bigger attendances as Moore Park than the Roosters and Warritahs do.

How  do you define a real supporter? 

7 hours ago, Danny said:

The problem is Danny that you're seeing it from an English point of view, where obviously most people feel its needed to support your local team. In Australia (and the USA for that matter) that tradition doesn't exists mostly because they aren't really football nations. For starters, the landmass is huge. Tell me which football team an American will support if they live in Memphis? 

Your argument that the Sydney Rabbitohs wouldn't be your team also doesn't work. Sure that's the way you view them and I can't change that, but keep in mind the A-League was only founded in 2004. If a family in Australia had a traditional team like Liverpool say and lived in Melbourne, would you change your team just to pander to a new local support?

I've seen fans of teams in weird place. Palmeiras in the USA, Colo Colo in Turkey and Melbourne Victory in Argentina. Ultimately its their decision who to support. Being an Universitario fan, I will agree its better to support your local side but that is down to the decision of the supporter.

2 hours ago, Blue said:

The problem is Danny that you're seeing it from an English point of view, where obviously most people feel its needed to support your local team. In Australia (and the USA for that matter) that tradition doesn't exists mostly because they aren't really football nations. For starters, the landmass is huge. Tell me which football team an American will support if they live in Memphis? 

Your argument that the Sydney Rabbitohs wouldn't be your team also doesn't work. Sure that's the way you view them and I can't change that, but keep in mind the A-League was only founded in 2004. If a family in Australia had a traditional team like Liverpool say and lived in Melbourne, would you change your team just to pander to a new local support?

I've seen fans of teams in weird place. Palmeiras in the USA, Colo Colo in Turkey and Melbourne Victory in Argentina. Ultimately its their decision who to support. Being an Universitario fan, I will agree its better to support your local side but that is down to the decision of the supporter.

They're still not real supporters regardless of how hard they try and how early they wake up to watch a team who represents a city that's in a country that's in continent that is entirely different to where you're from.

I understand wanting to support someone if you have no one to support, but they're still never going to properly be part of that club and will only ever be considered a foreign market for merchandise.

53 minutes ago, Blue said:

ABBA? I don't mind it but I do agree that it could give a team an advantage. Didn't see what was wrong in having 1 team go at a time.

It gave the team taking the first penalty an advantage. Both systems have advantageals and disadvantages. I think the new system is skightly fairer.

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

It gave the team taking the first penalty an advantage. Both systems have advantageals and disadvantages. I think the new system is skightly fairer.

I for one can't comprehend that. A team getting an advantage in penalties? It's all about mental strength, and I can already think of multiple teams that went second who have won a shootout. 

This new system just takes the piss in my opinion and has ruined the suspense. 

Archived