talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

La Liga - Week 1 Fixtures - 18-21st August 2017

football forum

53 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

It's not impossible and you should never underestimate bottom half teams. People seem to have it in their mind that every smaller Spanish team is a stroll in the park, but it was dropping points against bottom half teams that was Barcelona's main problem in la liga last season. The team could win at the Bernabeu, Vicente Calderon, Mestalla, San Mames and Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan, but then lost against Alaves at Camp Nou, Deportivo at El Riazor, couldn't score against Malaga home or away, drew away to Real Betis...

In Pep's first season we saw a 1-0 loss against Numancia, never underestimate any team as they are in the first division for a reason.

Look at Eibar the other year or Alaves last season. Newly promoted sides who stepped up and showed no fear, which has enabled them to establish themselves and cause problems to teams who are far superior to themselves. Alaves reached the copa del rey final last season and Eibar have been flirting with a Europa spot for a couple of seasons.

Baptistao has always been a talent but never really truly gotten going due to moving to the wrong clubs(such as Atletico too soon) and a few injury woes along the way. He seems to have found a club he's settled at now though in Espanyol(who have some good players at the moment, they are starting to build a decent little team there) and I think he'll have a strong season.

As for Sevilla, I thought N'Zonzi had gone to Juve about a month ago and was adamant he was their player. I was shocked when he was playing last night. Sevilla will do well to keep him(even though he was at fault for their goal), although they need a striker I think. Ben Yedder is a decent option(although could be improved on), but Muriel doesn't convince me as someone who will score enough goals for them. I could be wrong, as he showed positive signs last night in how he's quick and has great movement to get behind defenders and get himself in scoring positions, but his end product needs work and judging by his goal scoring record pre-moving to Sevilla, it's not the greatest. He was unlucky though last night as he forced some top saves from Pau Lopez and even hit the inside of the post.

Speaking of strikers, Celta look like they could have found a gem in Maxi Gomez. The 21 year old Uruguayan had a very good scoring record out in South America and scored 2 on his debut for Celta yesterday, despite them losing after the (controversial) comeback from Real Sociedad. They could well have gotten themselves a bargain there.

Nah!  La Liga's smaller sides are just total crap because they at times get whipped by the big two (Barça and Real).  The thing so many fail to understand is that those two sides would be whipping many sides in any of Europe's top leagues.  But that debate is as old as when football went professional in 1992. ;)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Somewhat depleted squad for Barca. No Pique, Suarez, Iniesta. Obviously first league game without Neymar. If Betis approach this in the right way, they could really take something from this. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Burning Gold said:

Why do the Barcelona kits say Barcelona where the player's name should be? Looks shit

In honour of the terrorist attacks which struck the city few days ago. It's not a permanent thing don't worry. 

Nothing extraordinary from this result for Barcelona. Decent first half and went down the gears in the second. Sergi Roberto was MOTM without a doubt and Messi could've or should've had a hat-trick. Unusual for him to miss so many chances. This game will only be good for their confidence.

As for Betis, again too much can't be read into this game. It wasn't exactly the best game to get away at the Camp Nou in the first of the season. But they have some talented players that were missing today that can make a difference. I wish Quíque Setién the best. 

• Administrator

Schar puts his head on Ramos'. 

Ramos pushes Schar in the face. 

Both only receives yellow when rules would dictate both should get reds for their respective offences. 

• Administrator

They're playing like Barca did a few seasons ago. Blowing teams away and making it look ridiculously easy. Kroos and Modric bossing the game and dictating the tempo of it. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Apprently he's been tamed. xD

Tbf that 2nd yellow was a joke as it shouldn't have been a yellow. But he should have got sent off earlier in the game so swings and roundabouts. 

Just now, Stan said:

Tbf that 2nd yellow was a joke as it shouldn't have been a yellow. But he should have got sent off earlier in the game so swings and roundabouts. 

Indeed...  Should've been off earlier and the Spanish commentator on the channel I'm watching it reckons he's done it to save himself stick in tomorrow's papers knowing he made an error earlier.  The refs in Spain in general are crap!

• The topic was unpinned

Archived