talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber

Kvyat is done and has been since he was dropped back to Toro Rosso. Red Bull don't need to promote anyone now until they lose Ricciardo or Verstappen which could be a long time. The only way one of those two leaves is if a Ferrari or Mercedes seat opens up and those teams are still competing for the title while Red Bull aren't.

Hartley didn't impress me this weekend. If your main praise from the commentators comes from tyre management and fuel management you know you've not really made an impact. It's really harsh but the standards to be an F1 driver now are that you have to be within a few tenths of the top guys consistently in terms of your own raw performance because that's how good the best 20 drivers in the world are and it's been that way since about 2009.

Unless Sainz moves permanently to a different team he is certainly the next one to be promoted to Red Bull. Kvyat had his chance and Gasly impressed more than Hartley did in his one off race. Gasly will be in a Toro Rosso next year and unless they have an alternative I imagine Hartley will replace Kvyat because Kvyat isn't a potential Red Bull driver but Hartley might be. I'll be amazed if Hartley gets a sniff at the senior team now though as like I say, they don't have seats to fill and even when they do Sainz and then Gasly look the likely candidates at the moment to be the next two in line.

• Subscriber

To add to my point about the standards needed to stay in F1 just remember that the likes of Heidfeld, Sutil, Liuzzi, Maldonado, Kovalainen who were all very good racing drivers who looked like hot shit when they first turned up in the sport with some of them even winning races, couldn't keep up enough to really make it in the end. You have to be as good as Hulkenberg, Perez, Bottas, Massa just to be sure of staying in the sport another year.

13 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

To add to my point about the standards needed to stay in F1 just remember that the likes of Heidfeld, Sutil, Liuzzi, Maldonado, Kovalainen who were all very good racing drivers who looked like hot shit when they first turned up in the sport with some of them even winning races, couldn't keep up enough to really make it in the end. You have to be as good as Hulkenberg, Perez, Bottas, Massa just to be sure of staying in the sport another year.

You mean compared to Kvyat? The guy is only 23 and has two podiums and 133 career points under his belt. That is not as bad as people make it out to be. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

You mean compared to Kvyat? The guy is only 23 and has two podiums and 133 career points under his belt. That is not as bad as people make it out to be. 

He did okay when he started at Red Bull but never kicked on. To be frank anyone who gets a full year in a Red Bull and doesn't at least get a couple of podiums shouldn't be anywhere near that car in the first place. Kvyat isn't a bad driver by any means but by F1 standards he has average pace with the occasional standout weekend but more frequently gets involved in accidents. 10 years ago that would keep him in a job at a middle team like Williams or Renault but not today. Which drivers on the grid have had as many opportunities as Kvyat but achieved less? Who would you kick out of the 20 man roster to keep Kvyat in the sport?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tsubasa said:

Massa, Ericsson, Magnussen. 

Massa is off anyway. The other two fair enough but Leclerc will be in the Sauber next year leaving the Haas seat where Kvyat could grind out a couple of pointless seasons before realising he's wasting his time in F1 and going to Indycar or Formula E.

• Subscriber

Di Resta did okay as a stand in in Hungary but he's another one who is decent but not in the top 20 drivers. Kubica is worth a punt. Wehrlein I think has something about him but his stock has fizzled out a lot at Sauber which is the danger of being in such a shitty car, you have to be Fernando Alonso to even stay relevant.

My body is ready! Make it happen. I don't know where my love for Kvyat is coming from, I guess I just like to root for an underdog who was (despite his questionable performances) treated unfairly. Rookie of the year 2014, and now this? Come on. 

• Subscriber

Williams' driver line-up has always been an experienced, reliable driver and a young one except for when they had Maldonado as the "reliable" one for a while alongside a youngster, can't remember who.

Still not convinced Kvyat would be a better option than Kubica (if he's close to his old self) or even Massa.

7 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

If Vettel doesn’t get a penalty for leaving the track and gaining an advantage, F1 is fucked.

:D Not sure if you're fishing or just as deluded as usual. You want him to get a penalty for being pushed off the track by Massa?

Inb4: "olololololol I was merely pretending. ololol i was just fishing."

• The topic was pinned