talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Game Of Thrones

football forum

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

12 hours left to avoid any more spoilers - am I the only one who hasn't watched yet? :D

I haven't either. I'm waiting until it's officially out with this series. Im not interested in watching hacked and leaked episodes.

Really enjoyed the series so far. Can't wait for tomorrow's episode after seeing a trailer. :D

3 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

I haven't either. I'm waiting until it's officially out with this series. Im not interested in watching hacked and leaked episodes.

Really enjoyed the series so far. Can't wait for tomorrow's episode after seeing a trailer. :D

_PmbKsoz_400x400.jpg.23c3aeb462f3b0e5b474c974df1125fa.jpg

• Subscriber

My thoughts below...

A number of major plot points hit in this episode with several dramatic moments pushing the series closer to the end game, and for that it was a great episode.

There was some much better dialogue here too, Tyrion made some very good points to Daenerys but she was petulant as ever when it came to discussing anything she doesn't like, and the guys that went beyond the wall together all had a lot to talk about, Jon and Jorah about Longclaw, Beric and Jon about being resurrected etc., I think they covered that reasonably well.

I was most impressed with the way they made it believable for Jon to pull a U-turn on bending the knee as well. That makes things simpler hopefully.

However, I do have to have a moan about some of the clunky writing again. I mean, what the hell, Gendry had to run back to the wall, they had to fly a raven to Dragonstone, and Daenerys had to fly the length of Westeros. How long were they sat on that rock? Days? A week? And how did the army of the dead not notice the lake had frozen back over until The Hound chucked that rock? I mean I know we have to suspend belief but the way that whole sequence panned out until dragon ex machina seemed pretty lazily done.

I also don't know why they had Jon senselessly charge into the wights instead of escaping on the dragon, pull yet another main character drowning death fake out (Tyrion, Arya, Jaime, I mean seriously, yawn), and bring back Benjen to unrealistically mow through a column of wights out of nowhere for the second time to save him. But hey ho. 

While parts of that sequence were clunky, the Arya/Sansa debacle is by far the worst writing the show has ever seen. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's significantly worse than Dorne. Here is a nonexhaustive list of things that could easily resolve the situation:

- Arya has more than two brain cells to rub together.

- Sansa tells Arya to ask their all seeing all knowing brother in the woods what actually happened.

- Arya asks Bran herself.

- Sansa ignores everything Littlefinger says, something she has acknowledged she should do multiple times in the last 2-3 seasons.

I've always liked Arya unlike some people but she's being an absolute cunt here and the whole thing smacks of the writers needing to extend the Sansa/Arya/Littlefinger plot to give the actors some screen time while the plot at Winterfell is somewhat stalled. And why did Sansa send Brienne away? For fucks sake. Suffice to say I'll be glad when this whole sister war is resolved one way or another. Terrible.

While I've written a lot of negative stuff there, thoroughly enjoyed the episode and glad only one of the seven dudes died. After all these years of reading the books and watching the show, getting invested in the characters and story lines, no amount of dodgy writing will stop me from loving the remaining episodes.

I was gutted that a dragon went down though and a popular fan theory fulfilled in that last scene which has been one of my biggest fears for a long time. It looks like next episode we could have all of these people in one place for this big meet up: Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, Daenerys, Jon, Davos, Brienne, Jorah etc. which is something to look forward to.

Edited by RandoEFC

31 minutes ago, oliveandblue said:

I'm a little surprised that Bran doesn't have a role to play in the Arya v Sansa v Littlefinger madness.  He's the only one that knows the WHOLE STORY behind Littlefinger.

I feel he will in the finale. Whether resolving the sister debacle or revealing Jon's true identity. 

If neither, complete waste and dissapointing season from his end. One who's had the most potential. 

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

My thoughts below...

A number of major plot points hit in this episode with several dramatic moments pushing the series closer to the end game, and for that it was a great episode.

There was some much better dialogue here too, Tyrion made some very good points to Daenerys but she was petulant as ever when it came to discussing anything she doesn't like, and the guys that went beyond the wall together all had a lot to talk about, Jon and Jorah about Longclaw, Beric and Jon about being resurrected etc., I think they covered that reasonably well.

I was most impressed with the way they made it believable for Jon to pull a U-turn on bending the knee as well. That makes things simpler hopefully.

However, I do have to have a moan about some of the clunky writing again. I mean, what the hell, Gendry had to run back to the wall, they had to fly a raven to Dragonstone, and Daenerys had to fly the length of Westeros. How long were they sat on that rock? Days? A week? And how did the army of the dead not notice the lake had frozen back over until The Hound chucked that rock? I mean I know we have to suspend belief but the way that whole sequence panned out until dragon ex machina seemed pretty lazily done.

I also don't know why they had Jon senselessly charge into the wights instead of escaping on the dragon, pull yet another main character drowning death fake out, and bring back Benjen to unrealistically mow through a column of wights out of nowhere for the second time to save him. But hey ho. 

While parts of that sequence were clunky, the Arya/Sansa debacle is by far the worst writing the show has ever seen. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's significantly worse than Dorne. Here is a nonexhaustive list of things that could easily resolve the situation:

- Arya has more than two brain cells to rub together.

- Sansa tells Arya to ask their all seeing all knowing brother in the woods what actually happened.

- Arya asks Bran herself.

- Sansa ignores everything Littlefinger says, something she has acknowledged she should do multiple times in the last 2-3 seasons.

I've always liked Arya unlike some people but she's being an absolute cunt here and the whole thing smacks of the writers needing to extend the Sansa/Arya/Littlefinger plot to give the actors some screen time while the plot at Winterfell is somewhat stalled. And why did Sansa send Brienne away? For fucks sake. Suffice to say I'll be glad when this whole sister war is resolved one way or another. Terrible.

While I've written a lot of negative stuff there, thoroughly enjoyed the episode and glad only one of the seven dudes died. After all these years of reading the books and watching the show, getting invested in the characters and story lines, no amount of dodgy writing will stop me from loving the remaining episodes.

I was gutted that a dragon went down though and a popular fan theory fulfilled in that last scene which has been one of my biggest fears for a long time. It looks like next episode we could have all of these people in one place for this big meet up: Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, Daenerys, Jon, Davos, Brienne, Jorah etc. which is something to look forward to.

I was disappointed they didn't show the scene of the wights who happened to be blacksmiths spending months mining iron and melting it down to make chains to use in the lake. 

I think Brienne is going to KL to ultimately turn Jamie back to the light side of the force. 

The most far fetched thing about the episode. by far, is jon in full clothes swimming to the surface of a frozen lake, then surviving the hours back to the wall in said clothes.

Followed by huge dragon lifting chains out of nowhere

Followed by Benjin ex machina

Followed by the days/weeks waiting on a frozen lake

Followed by the night king and his buddies not using those magic power spears they can throw so far and majestically at Jon and co while they were witting ducks on 50 square meters of land

Followed by Sansa and Arya fighting a pointless argument over what boils down to fuck all.

But dragons!!! Excitement!!! Banter!!!   'BEST EPISODE EVAH!!!"

I would have liked it if the group would have ran into the white walkers at the start of the episode. And while waiting for help on that tiny rock, they could have swapped stories with each other. The makers could have then showed them suffering at the hands of the elements, while waiting for help. Their food and water dwindling, while the the number of zombies kept increasing. This would have made the wait seem believable or logical.

Then they could have showed the lake freezing, and the Night King eventually arriving. He would have then given his white walkers orders to charge, and when all hopes seemed lost, Dany would have swooped in to save them.

The makers could have spent the whole of next episode showing white walkers gathering chains, and at the end of that episode they could showed the rebirth/regeneration of ice dragon.

Edited by IgnisExcubitor

So yeah, last night's episode was awesome. Except for the fact that one of my FB friends posted a screen shot of the last scene with the blue eye, therefore, I knew something like that was coming.

Side Note: I de-friended him.

• Upvote 1

I hope Bran fucks off if he doesn't reveal anything in the finale. 

Honestly, he had the potential to be a pivotal figure this season, but he was merely an extra. 

Explain Littlefinger's role in our father's death

Tell Jon that he is a Targaryan and true heir to the Iron Throne

Creepily Tell Sansa how beautiful she was when she was raped. 

Edited by Cicero