Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Who Will Win the 2017/18 Champions League?

Recommended Posts

Pep Talk    13
12 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

barcelona doesnt have the bench that RM has but it could be worst (chelsea and liverpool) 

Yeah i think bench is huge for all these games and a big reason why real did win it last few years. Barca for one were worn out even two seasons ago when they lost to atletico 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bozziovai    16
On 9/6/2017 at 4:09 AM, Teso dos Bichos said:

barcelona doesnt have the bench that RM has but it could be worst (chelsea and liverpool) 

i saw on youtube a compilation of "skills" of the real madrid players.    it's funny coz now that they have Zidane as Coach, it seems most of their moves are a derivative of Zidanes skills.   Zidane Blessed his players to use his techniques :D:D:D   Many of them has been using the  "zidane move"

 

 

 

this is the Zidane Move i'm talking about .....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cannabis    1,156
On 06/09/2017 at 7:37 AM, The Arab said:

I am THE Arab. PSG will win the Champions League this season. 

Things are going according to plan.

I am THE Cannabis. Marijuana will be legal this season.

Thing are going according to plan. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry    125
On 06/09/2017 at 4:37 PM, The Arab said:

I am THE Arab. PSG will win the Champions League this season. 

Things are going according to plan.

 

Your plan sucks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Arab    0
On 9/6/2017 at 8:37 AM, The Arab said:

I am THE Arab. PSG will win the Champions League this season. 

Things are going according to plan.

 

I am THE Arab.

Celtic sucks. All British teams suck. Inferior leagues. Clearly.

Our investment in Paris is paying off. Purchased Paris.

Soon, all of Europe.

Things have been set in motion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry    125
11 hours ago, The Arab said:

I am THE Arab.

Celtic sucks. All British teams suck. Inferior leagues. Clearly.

Our investment in Paris is paying off. Purchased Paris.

Soon, all of Europe.

Things have been set in motion.

 

 Celtic just let you have a false sense of security so it will be more embarrassing when they pull down your pants back in Paris.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stan    1,000

16/17 - Group F
15/16 - Group A
14/15 - Group B
13/14 - Group B 
12/13 - Group F 
11/12 - Group E
10/11 - Group D
09/10 - Group F
08/09 - Group C
07/08 - Group F
06/07 - Group H
05/06 - Group C
04/05 - Group A
03/04 - Group F

was bored so was looking at previous Champions League winners and what groups they started in after the format changed.

Group F the most popular and that has Man City in it this year. Groups A, B & C all have had 2 winners over the years. Groups D and H 1 each. 

Well aware this is totally irrelevant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2017 at 7:32 AM, Stan said:

16/17 - Group F
15/16 - Group A
14/15 - Group B
13/14 - Group B 
12/13 - Group F 
11/12 - Group E
10/11 - Group D
09/10 - Group F
08/09 - Group C
07/08 - Group F
06/07 - Group H
05/06 - Group C
04/05 - Group A
03/04 - Group F

was bored so was looking at previous Champions League winners and what groups they started in after the format changed.

Group F the most popular and that has Man City in it this year. Groups A, B & C all have had 2 winners over the years. Groups D and H 1 each. 

Well aware this is totally irrelevant. 

Wow mate! Not quite sure just how relevant this is :) 

I do like City (Guardiola and their Spanish brand of football) so wouldn't mind at all if they win.

Like statistically significant stats? Here's a relevant stat: something like 10 out of the last 11 or 12 Champions League winners have all been Group Stage winners (Internazionale (behind Barca) and Real Madrid last season (behind Borussia Dortmund) being the 2 exceptions, I believe it was, can't be ased to look it up now).

So look at the Group Winners and in all likelihood you'll have your winner among them.

Here's yet another stat: In the years Barca don't win it, whoever eliminates Barca will make it to the Final, at the very least. This has been the case since 2007-2008. Probably was the case even before then.

Such is Barca's quality in Europe!

Edited by Luis Suarez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stan    1,000
7 hours ago, Luis Suarez said:

Wow mate! Not quite sure just how relevant this is :) 

 

it's not at all :D

that stat about whoever knocks Barca out is a good one though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue    181

I mentioned it the other day but City should be winning the Champions League in the next few years. All assuming the project they have with Guardiola continues to develop, I think they are bound to win it sometime in the next 3 years. I doubt it will be this time but soon they should get it.

Of course keeping Sané, Jesus and Sterling until they are all fully developed will be key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cicero    484

Reckon it might be Atletico's year finally, especially with the final in their stadium. 

 But again anything can happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stan    1,000
26 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Reckon it might be Atletico's year finally, especially with the final in their stadium. 

 But again anything can happen. 

final at Atletico's new stadium is in 2019, not this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cicero    484
23 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

xD atletico xD Man utd has a better chance chance atletico and i dont think they will win it this year. 9_9 maybe next year 

Well, one team has made it to the final twice in the past 3 years and the other is making their first CL appearance in 3 years....

Tough one. 

 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

final at Atletico's new stadium is in 2019, not this season.

Didn't specify which year :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dalmore    28
On 9/5/2017 at 10:57 PM, Teso dos Bichos said:

atletico, Barcelona,psg , juventus, man utd, spurs and Bayern all have the depth to win it, chelsea doesnt. 

 

Inter has higher possibilities to win CHL than Spurs. and we don't even play in Europe...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue    181
5 minutes ago, Dalmore said:

 

Inter has higher possibilities to win CHL than Spurs. and we don't even play in Europe...

Disagree completely - Spurs have a better team on paper and perform better than both Milan sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dalmore said:

 

Inter has higher possibilities to win CHL than Spurs. and we don't even play in Europe...

they have a better chance than chelsea though thats, for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blue said:

I mentioned it the other day but City should be winning the Champions League in the next few years. All assuming the project they have with Guardiola continues to develop, I think they are bound to win it sometime in the next 3 years. I doubt it will be this time but soon they should get it.

Of course keeping Sané, Jesus and Sterling until they are all fully developed will be key.

Well, let's see: Abramovich purchased Chelsea in 2003,  won CL in 2012. Let's assume that 9 years is "the standard" for a good return on investment in the CL.

Abu Dhabi acquired City in 2008, which means that, in theory, yes, City should be winning it rather soon.

Qatar owned PSG in 2011. Qatar obviously wants to beat the standard and win the CL ASAP by going all out for Neymar, Mbappe et al this season.

Arabs and Russkies! lol!

The Chinese are obviously seeking to do the same with the Milan clubs by returning Internazionale and Milan to their glory days in Europe. Economic power = political power. Extrapolating further, you can see this becoming the status quo all over the world. The Chinese, Arabs and Russians are rising in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  must admit that I'd dismissed Bayern as a potential Champions League winner this season, but having Jupp Heynckes as coach certainly changes things. Certainly didn't expect him to manage Bayern again. Talk about a gamechanger.

He'll be able to get the best out of Thomas Muller, whom I've always maintained is the heart and soul of Bayern. If you get Muller playing well, the whole team plays well. Bayern may not win the Champions League but they'll certainly be in the conversation now. Will be following Bayern's progress from here on out. Bayern vs PSG on December 5th at the Allianz will be a good barometer of just how far they'll progress under Heynckes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SirBalon    717

Got to be Man Utd... They have the best player in the world over the past 8 months and that sort of thing can make the difference to be honest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Got to be Man Utd... They have the best player in the world over the past 8 months and that sort of thing can make the difference to be honest. 

Who might that be mate?? :D:D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SirBalon    717
5 minutes ago, Paulinho Dybala said:

Who might that be mate?? :D:D

 

Who knows...  I made it up. :o

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Panflute    180

Barcelona have a chance if they remain consistent and don't suffer injuries. They are strong, but their squad doesn't have a lot of depth and might get in trouble in case of injuries or a general dip of form.

I think an English club could grab it this season. So far, the usual suspects (Real, Atlético and Bayern) look weaker than last year, and any club from the Manchesters to Chelsea or even Tottenham might be opportunistic enough to take advantage of that, should things stay as they are.

PSG will probably get to the quarter or sem-finals. While their attack is stellar, even against Bayern their defence looked very weak, and I think a team that succeeds at parking the bus and eyeing for the counter (like Chelsea did to Barcelona at their peak) could spell their downfall. And who knows what will happen if their egos blow up again.

Real Madrid have the most depth of any team, but their form so far has been quite weak, and a lot has to happen if they want to go for their third in a row.

At the end of the day, I'm going to say either Chelsea or City.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SirBalon    717
1 hour ago, Panflute said:

Barcelona have a chance if they remain consistent and don't suffer injuries. They are strong, but their squad doesn't have a lot of depth and might get in trouble in case of injuries or a general dip of form.

I think an English club could grab it this season. So far, the usual suspects (Real, Atlético and Bayern) look weaker than last year, and any club from the Manchesters to Chelsea or even Tottenham might be opportunistic enough to take advantage of that, should things stay as they are.

PSG will probably get to the quarter or sem-finals. While their attack is stellar, even against Bayern their defence looked very weak, and I think a team that succeeds at parking the bus and eyeing for the counter (like Chelsea did to Barcelona at their peak) could spell their downfall. And who knows what will happen if their egos blow up again.

Real Madrid have the most depth of any team, but their form so far has been quite weak, and a lot has to happen if they want to go for their third in a row.

At the end of the day, I'm going to say either Chelsea or City.

I agree...  Barcelona's first XI can compete against anyone but any injuries (they've already got one with Dembélé for a while) and they're very sensitive to the bigger sides.

Real Madrid for some reason aren't clicking early on this season but their squad is tremendous...  No squad out there comes anywhere near what they can do by rotating and it was proven in the final quarter of last season.

Bayern are a total mess and I don't have enough knowledge apart from the sensationalism being published to give a good opinion.

PSG are very strong up front as you say but for me there's a lot about them that also leaves big lagoons and question marks when they face sides that are performing at the top end.

As for the English clubs...  They can have as good a Champions League campaign as their coach can muster.  I think any of the three can win it with good tactics although none of the three are better than the other big boys, so it's all down to who performs on the day.  Chelsea beating Atlético Madrid away was the proof that this is the case!  If you can beat Simeone's side at their place, then you can achieve anything as long as your first XI stay fit.

For me it's Real Madrid and Manchester City right up at the top of the tree (forgetting and ignoring Real's start because they have so many options).  Then clubs like Barça, Juve and PSG can have a say if they're lucky enough to have a fit squad.  Bayern look a total mess right now but they have players in abundance to sort that problem out.

Edited by SirBalon
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Panflute    180
1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

I agree...  Barcelona's first XI can compete against anyone but any injuries (they've already got one with Dembélé for a while) and they're very sensitive to the bigger sides.

Real Madrid for some reason aren't clicking early on this season but their squad is tremendous...  No squad out there comes anywhere near what they can do by rotating and it was proven in the final quarter of last season.

Bayern are a total mess and I don't have enough knowledge apart from the sensationalism being published to give a good opinion.

PSG are very strong up front as you say but for me there's a lot about them that also leaves big lagoons and question marks when they face sides that are performing at the top end.

As for the English clubs...  They can have as good a Champions League campaign as their coach can muster.  I think any of the three can win it with good tactics although none of the three are better than the other big boys, so it's all down to who performs on the day.  Chelsea beating Atlético Madrid away was the proof that this is the case!  If you can beat Someone's side at their place, then you can achieve anything as long as your first XI stay fit.

For me it's Real Madrid and Manchester City right up at the top of the tree (forgetting and ignoring Real's start because they have so many options).  Then clubs like Barça, Juve and PSG can have a say if they're lucky enough to have a fit squad.  Bayern look a total mess right now but they have players in abundance to sort that problem out.

Chelsea's win was not undeserved either; they were the better team that day. But they have proven in the past that they can even win when they are not dominant. That they had a multi-season CL rivalry with Barcelona proved that. In past years they haven't been as good, but now with Morata up front they seem to be more in their element.

As for Real, the start of the league has been disastrous by their standards, but as you said, the squad has tremendous depth. Also, let's not forget that Real have been on a level of their own in the CL for years straight now, and they don't necessarily need to be doing well in the league in order to progress far into the Champion's League. And, provided that they do well in their upcoming group games, they'll have a few months to prepare for the knock-out stage and get their shit together. The FIFA Club World Cup might be a good way to get back into the winning mood. :9_innocent:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SirBalon    717
20 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Chelsea's win was not undeserved either; they were the better team that day. But they have proven in the past that they can even win when they are not dominant. That they had a multi-season CL rivalry with Barcelona proved that. In past years they haven't been as good, but now with Morata up front they seem to be more in their element.

Yeah, Chelsea deserved their victory at the Wanda Metropolitano.  There was only one period during that game that could've changed it all and that was when Atleti went ahead from the penalty spot...  They had a dominant period for a bit and had they scored the second, then the result could've been different.  That's why learned football people always come out with that cliché about football being a game of fine details and that can paint a strange picture on a whole story.  Not that anyone ever cares or remembers the whole thing and the result is what matters as one Atleti legend (Luis Aragonés) always said; "Ganar, ganar y ganar".  They have Álvaro Morata out for a bit now and it'll be interesting to see how Conté resolves the situation.  He could revert to Mourinho type tactics until the situation is sorted in that aspect.  The squad is thin but like Barcelona, they can compete with everyone if everything is setup correctly.

20 minutes ago, Panflute said:

The FIFA Club World Cup might be a good way to get back into the winning mood.

This one is interesting...  The truth is that various Real Madrid seasons have broken down (last season it almost occurred) after this particular tournament.  Ancelotti's season went down hill after winning that completion comfortably (remember that side broke the winning streak record) and last season Real only won 1 of four games after coming back from the FIFA Club World Cup.  From what I've always heard from European coaches in respect of that tournament is that it hinders the side and for me it's part of the reason why it's never been a priority unlike the way it's seen in Latin America.  Lately it's become a bit more important here in Europe but this is largely to do with the marketing potential it gives you outside our continent as out there they actually see the thing as a real World Cup of sorts.

Without a doubt though...  The squad is full of quality and to be honest, if I were Zidane, I wouldn't know which XI is my optimism one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Viva la FCB    138
On 10/10/2017 at 5:37 AM, Paulinho Dybala said:

I  must admit that I'd dismissed Bayern as a potential Champions League winner this season, but having Jupp Heynckes as coach certainly changes things. Certainly didn't expect him to manage Bayern again. Talk about a gamechanger.

He'll be able to get the best out of Thomas Muller, whom I've always maintained is the heart and soul of Bayern. If you get Muller playing well, the whole team plays well. Bayern may not win the Champions League but they'll certainly be in the conversation now. Will be following Bayern's progress from here on out. Bayern vs PSG on December 5th at the Allianz will be a good barometer of just how far they'll progress under Heynckes.

Im excited as well but temper your expectations a tad. Keep in mind Jupp hasnt coached since that 2013 season. He retired, hes not here to reinvent the team hes basically here (in my opinion) to stabilize the team. A clash of egos has come to the forefront with all these stories of discontent under Ancelotti with claims of poor training, lack of tactis, lack of man management basically stories of an utter mess everything to do with the team. One of the few people that can get the ship back on track is probably Jupp. I still have little expectations for hardware this season. Im just hoping for some cohesion and harmony and to make it through the season until he can pass the baton to whoever takes over and have it hopefully be a much easier situation to walk into. I recall seeing a quote from Jupp somewhere along the lines of him coming back as a favour for a friend, take that as you will. 

Edited by Viva la FCB
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SirBalon    717
22 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

stories of discontent under Ancelotti with claims or poor training

That was the reason he was sacked from Real Madrid.  The difference was that the "ego" players wanted him to stay and loved him...  Infact some of them were very vocal about being upset at his departure.  But the fact his training intensity was questioned then and is also being put out there now seems to show that there's something in it.  One thing's for sure and that is that Ancelotti has always been known as a great coach with big names and keeping their egos in check.  That part I find strange with all the stories that have been emerging from within.

As for Jupp returning...  That's gong to be interesting!  If he can get the side united again, then as I said further up, there's a very competitive squad there and on their day even now they can compete against the best.

Edited by SirBalon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Viva la FCB    138
23 hours ago, SirBalon said:

That was the reason he was sacked from Real Madrid.  The difference was that the "ego" players wanted him to stay and loved him...  Infact some of them were very vocal about being upset at his departure.  But the fact his training intensity was questioned then and is also being put out there now seems to show that there's something in it.  One thing's for sure and that is that Ancelotti has always been known as a great coach with big names and keeping their egos in check.  That part I find strange in with all the stories that have been merging from within.

As for Jump returning...  That's gong to be interesting!  If he can get the side united again, then as I said further up, there's a very competitive squad there and on their day even now they can compete against the best.

Yep, i remember reading the Real stories back then because as an outsider i was caught offside when he was let go. There has to be some merrit to it, there was even a story about Lahm and a handful of others organizing their own training on off days because they where so dissatisfied. 

I dont disagree at all with that. Thats why i do take some issue with people claiming our squad is stale. Without breaking the bank and throwing 100's of millions at the problem areas we've done some terrific transfer business, just much more quietly. Its just been painful to watch the deployment on alot of days and more importantly the lack of tactics. Jupp should at least correct this in the short term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2017 at 0:50 PM, Viva la FCB said:

Im excited as well but temper your expectations a tad. Keep in mind Jupp hasnt coached since that 2013 season. He retired, hes not here to reinvent the team hes basically here (in my opinion) to stabilize the team. A clash of egos has come to the forefront with all these stories of discontent under Ancelotti with claims of poor training, lack of tactis, lack of man management basically stories of an utter mess everything to do with the team. One of the few people that can get the ship back on track is probably Jupp. I still have little expectations for hardware this season. Im just hoping for some cohesion and harmony and to make it through the season until he can pass the baton to whoever takes over and have it hopefully be a much easier situation to walk into. I recall seeing a quote from Jupp somewhere along the lines of him coming back as a favour for a friend, take that as you will. 

Any chance Heynckes will stay past this season? Sign him to a multi-season deal? I know he's in his 70s but he looks a very sprightly 70-something.

If that does happen, then we'll REALLY have something to talk about vis a vis Bayern's chances of European glory for the next several seasons. Forget the amount of talent already at Munchen, it's the sheer quality of players his very name will attract.

The 2013 iteration of Bayern Munchen was something to behold alright!! 

Wonder if they coulda beaten 2009 Barca or 2017 Real Madrid??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Viva la FCB    138
10 hours ago, 11Neymar Ousmane Dembélé11 said:

Any chance Heynckes will stay past this season? Sign him to a multi-season deal? I know he's in his 70s but he looks a very sprightly 70-something.

If that does happen, then we'll REALLY have something to talk about vis a vis Bayern's chances of European glory for the next several seasons. Forget the amount of talent already at Munchen, it's the sheer quality of players his very name will attract.

The 2013 iteration of Bayern Munchen was something to behold alright!! 

Wonder if they coulda beaten 2009 Barca or 2017 Real Madrid??

 

I think the chances of that are slim to none. I dont think he entirely wanted to come back to coaching, Jupp has mentioned he had several offers from "elite" clubs in different capacities but he wanted to retire. As i mentioned the main reason hes come back is because its a short term favour; help out the club that he feels helped propel him to greatness. Il link you to a short read that touches on few things hes says, TLDR: i dont think hes interested in coaching passed the rest of this season. 

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2017/10/9/16447284/jupp-heynckes-return-to-coach-bayern-munich

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bozziovai    16

as the tournament progresses we're seeing that the Group of Death is now Group E, with only a point separating 1st and 3rd.   the other groups i think the winners is already decided, it's just a battle for 2nd place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bozziovai    16
1 minute ago, Pep Talk said:

I think this year the comp is as wide open as i can remember it to be honest.

yeah.    just look at the poor performances of Juventus and Atletico Madrid.   Finalist of the last two seasons.

and in group H many was expecting a 1-2 finish by Madrid and Dortmund but look at how it looks right now,  Spurs a surprise package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry    125
On 11/10/2017 at 7:47 AM, SirBalon said:

 

As for the English clubs...  They can have as good a Champions League campaign as their coach can muster.  I think any of the three can win it with good tactics although none of the three are better than the other big boys, so it's all down to who performs on the day.  Chelsea beating Atlético Madrid away was the proof that this is the case!  If you can beat Simeone's side at their place, then you can achieve anything as long as your first XI stay fit.

 

Which of the 4 English cubs have you excluded mate? Liverpool or spurs? I'd have thought both are very unlikely compared to the other 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement