talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Champions League Group Stage Draw

football forum

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

High chances of us getting an English team since we can get all of them (i think). Hope we miss them as i already see them enough in the league.

Think Chelsea will get:

Pot 2: Barcelona or PSG

Pot 3: Napoli or Roma

Pot 4: Leipzig or Sporting Lisbon

• Administrator
1 minute ago, True Blue said:

High chances of us getting an English team since we can get all of them (i think). Hope we miss them as i already see them enough in the league.

Think Chelsea will get:

Pot 2: Barcelona or PSG

Pot 3: Napoli or Roma

Pot 4: Leipzig or Sporting Lisbon

Teams from same nation can't be drawn against each other. Who do you mean by 'us'? 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Teams from same nation can't be drawn against each other. Who do you mean by 'us'? 

Never mind it slipped my mind that we played Liverpool in the group stage years ago, but it was because they won it a year before.

• Subscriber
Just now, SirBalon said:

What pot are Arsenal in? :ph34r:

Sick joking aside...  This year's draw looks very strong and very interesting.  There's gonna be some serious groups out there...  And then there'll be Real Madrid's of course.

I think we're going to have a very entertaining group stage and not just because Liverpool are in but you're right it looks well balanced across the board.

Trying to think of a group of the death, it´d be like this: 

Real Madrid               

Man City/ Man United 

Napoli 

Sporting 

or 

Real Madrid 

PSG 

Liverpool/Tottenham 

Feyenoord

18 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I want to try and do Real Madrid's group, give it a go! ;)

• Real Madrid
  • Borussia Dortmund
  • Olympiakos
  • Quebec

Come on, we all know they always get the toughest draws! :4_joy:

2 minutes ago, El_Loco said:

Trying to think of a group of the death, it´d be like this: 

Real Madrid               

Man City/ Man United 

Napoli 

Sporting 

or 

Real Madrid 

PSG 

Liverpool/Tottenham 

Feyenoord

Come on, we all know they always get the toughest draws! :4_joy:

They're even gonna get a Canadian side by the looks of things! :o

1 minute ago, El_Loco said:

That´d be an insane group. One must wonder for whom our beloved friend Antoñito would cheer in a match between PSG and Madrid. xD

I'd need a spitting bucket for that game! xD

But traditions must never die...  I'd be rooting for QSI FC :ph34r:;)

1 minute ago, El_Loco said:

El efecto Neymar, hasta El Cid hincha para el equipo de los moros! xD Qué grande eres, Neymito! :4_joy:

Dicen que en Toledo vivían Judios, Cristianos y Musulmanes en paz!

Mi casa será una versión de Toledo ese día si sucede o también una mini Jerusalén. ;)

Pero vestido de Templario! xD

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Am I being retarded or are those pots telling me that Shakhtar and Spartak have better coefficients than Barcelona and co?

They go in Pot 1 because they won their league. I can see the argument behind rewarding them for that, but I don't think it's a good system because you can get uneven groups and end up with shit teams in the knockout round while good sides get knocked out early.

• Subscriber
Just now, Burning Gold said:

They go in Pot 1 because they won their league. I can see the argument behind rewarding them for that, but I don't think it's a good system because you can get uneven groups and end up with shit teams in the knockout round while good sides get knocked out early.

Bollocks that. Nothing wrong with the old system. Football has clearly never heard the term "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Looking at a best possible scenario for English sides. 

Surely United and City want Juve from Pot One, if they don't get Moscow or Benfica? It then rules out Napoli, Roma and obviously Liverpool and Tottenham from Pot Three meaning you're left with Basel, Olympiakos, Anderlecht and Besiktas. 

From a Chelsea point of view, I can't see much which guarantees them a much easier route to the knockout stage. I'd say that avoiding Napoli and Roma is their greatest challenge as then whoever they get from Pot Two and themselves should be progressing. 

For Tottenham and Liverpool, I think the best case is Benfica, Moscow or Donetsk. That does leave a tough draw from Pot Two but barring Leipzig and maybe Feyenoord, it shouldn't be too bad for them. 

12 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

They won the Europa League, they won an actual trophy, in fact they won two trophies. It's a joke that England has so many teams and the reward for doing nothing is a Champions League place. 

I agree but winning a sub par competition should not give you preference in the premier one.

Archived