talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Is this our first time in the CL knockout stage since... we had Rafa?

Our last CL campaign under Rodgers was so terrible and short. And then I tried to think of the last time we were in the CL knockout stages and it was a looong time ago.

First time in 9 years I believe. 

Klopp out :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Is this our first time in the CL knockout stage since... we had Rafa?

Our last CL campaign under Rodgers was so terrible and short. And then I tried to think of the last time we were in the CL knockout stages and it was a looong time ago.

Yep, last time we reached the last 16 we played Real Madrid. Possible repeat?:ph34r:

1 hour ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Probably the best description of Bobby. 

I know a few people who just don't rate him, which I find crazy. To replace him and bring someone else in who brings what he does to the side, you're talking unrealistic targets. 

Tbh I find all the talk about "needing a natural striker" completely old fashioned, always have. Goals are goals.

So long as you have people making the runs of a striker, who can score goals, like Salah and Mane whenever Firmino difts wide or deep, you're alright. Plus, Firmino isn't a bad finisher.

And actually when you watch Liverpool, this new 4-4-1-1 shape basically has Salah playing as a striker most of the time.

Edited by Inverted
  • Upvote 3

• Subscriber

Firmino is deceptively good with his feet which compensates for his lack of pace (by attacking standards). What I also like about him is that he tracks and runs deep to be the guy who is an outlet which is commendable when most strikers/forward players like to play much further up the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

Tbh I find all the talk about "needing a natural striker" completely old fashioned, always have. Goals are goals.

So long as you have people making the runs of a striker, who can score goals, like Salah and Mane whenever Firmino difts wide or deep, you're alright. Plus, Firmino isn't a bad finisher.

And actually when you watch Liverpool, this new 4-4-1-1 shape basically has Salah playing as a striker most of the time.

You didn't watch us repeatedly struggle to break down the 'low block' last year then. The lack of a proper striker was a big issue there and it's no coincidence that we battered shit teams at the end of the season when Sturridge was playing. Firmino himself wasn't the problem, but he was nominally playing in the striker position and wasn't doing that job, so he got a lot of the blame.

As you say, Mo Salah's essentially our striker these days and it works beautifully

On 12/8/2017 at 0:57 PM, Inverted said:

Earlier in the season I was pining for a "real" striker. Bobby just doesn't have that truly instinct in front of goal that Liverpool have long had my whole life with Rush, Fowler, Owen, Torres, Suarez (more his second season than his first).

But Bobby as our #9 is growing on me for sure. He does the "defending from the front" thing better than any striker I've seen from us - even compared to Kitty (when he played as a striker - idk if I'll ever see a player exceed Kuyt's workrate when he played on the right for us).

But aside from his constant pressing, he's a great playmaker... and when you've got Salah, Mané, and Coutinho that's obviously going to be valuable. I also think Bobby's improved his striker instincts as the season has gone by.

And looking at how Sturridge or Solanke (although Solanke's just a kid) have done in his absence... there's a good case for him being just as important as Salah or Mané in our front 3.

• Mohamed Salah became the first Liverpool player to score 20 goals before Christmas since Ian Rush in 1986-87.
  • No side has scored more first-half Premier League goals this season than Liverpool's 19, although Manchester City have also scored 19 in the first half.
  • Liverpool are unbeaten in their last nine games in the Premier League (won six, drawn three) - their best run since an 11-match streak ended in November 2016
  •  LFC are the first team in top-flight history to have won four consecutive away games by a margin of at least three goals. Record.

LFC have kept 13 clean sheets in the last 24 EPL games, the most by any team in that period

Edited by LFCMadLad

Klopp has said last night about "obvious problems" with the defensive aspect of our team. Well Jurgen, it's your job to fix that. January should be used to strengthen defence and find a decent CM. Mignolet will make it to the end of the season as our number 1, even though he doesn't fucking deserve it. 

10 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

It’s a fantastic stat because it shows that once he sorts the defence out, and he will, we will be an extraordinary footballing machine :D

The forwards won't stay around forever though. Imagine what they must think about the clowns behind them