talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

2 minutes ago, Batard said:

Klopp is a good manager, he's had some bad times too but he's still young and his principles seem very sound. I agree with some pundits, it seems the players lack the motivation against smaller clubs because against the top 6 Liverpool look imperious 

It could be that but I think it's more tactical to be honest. Against the bigger clubs who try to play against us Klopp's tactics are perfect. They try and play football whilst we press them to death, win the ball high up, then counter at speed. 

Against the lower clubs though who don't have the ball even half as much it's more difficult to employ Klopps tactics. They don't try and play football, in fact they are happy to let us have it. When they do have the ball they hit it long time and time again which misses out our midfield which consequently kills our pressing game. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

It could be that but I think it's more tactical to be honest. Against the bigger clubs who try to play against us Klopp's tactics are perfect. They try and play football whilst we press them to death, win the ball high up, then counter at speed. 

Against the lower clubs though who don't have the ball even half as much it's more difficult to employ Klopps tactics. They don't try and play football, in fact they are happy to let us have it. When they do have the ball they hit it long time and time again which misses out our midfield which consequently kills our pressing game. 

Against the smaller teams, the lack of Centre forward is often telling. If you need to hit direct you can't. I rate Origi ut a target man he ain't 

3 minutes ago, Batard said:

Against the smaller teams, the lack of Centre forward is often telling. If you need to hit direct you can't. I rate Origin but a target man he ain't 

Agree with that but again I don't think that's how Klopp ever sets up. He likes the 3 forwards to be fluid and interchangeable and that's where my biggest criticism of Klopp comes in... He doesn't seem to have a plan B and in this league, sometimes you need a plan B. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Agree with that but again I don't think that's how Klopp ever sets up. He likes the 3 forwards to be fluid and interchangeable and that's where my biggest criticism of Klopp comes in... He doesn't seem to have a plan B and in this league, sometimes you need a plan B. 

I think with the players that truly fit his system, power, technique and pace to burn and stamina of equal measure, a plan B wouldn't be so needed. It's being able to afford those players however.

He had Lewindowski and aubameyang in his starting 11's at Dormund,  he'd definitely play with a target man If we had a top class option.  Firmino does his best,  but we need a ruthless bastard up front.  We need the Sturridge from 3 years ago,  or Suarez if he fancies coming back next season 👌

3 minutes ago, FOYM said:

He had Lewindowski and aubameyang in his starting 11's at Dormund,  he'd definitely play with a target man If we had a top class option.  Firmino does his best,  but we need a ruthless bastard up front.  We need the Sturridge from 3 years ago,  or Suarez if he fancies coming back next season 👌

He often played Aubameyang in the same position he plays Mane and he often played Lewindowski across the front 3 and at number 10. Again, all interchanging at any given time. In fact I think Klopp even had a spat with one of them regarding being played out of position? 

Agree we need a 20-30 goal a season striker though (we've actually got one but he's broken and Klopp doesn't like him much). 

Klopp played Lewandowski as a 10 behind Barrios I think for one season, but after that I think Lewa was pretty clearly the focal point up front. If anyone can correct please do, Indidnt watch Dortmund that much back then.

Of course sometimes on the break he might run wide but overall he was a straight-up CF.  Behind him Götze, Kagawa and later Reus had license to roam, though. 

I don't think Auba was really known as a striker when he first went to Dortmund. He was behind Immoble and Ramos in the pecking order for a bit, I think, and that's why he was playe dont wide, but then discovered his potential when Klopp moved him up front.

12 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Someone like Antoine Griezmann would be brilliant in Klopp's system, but there is no chance in hell for us to get him. On a side note, I still think our transfer priority is a GK, CB and a CM.

I don't think GK is a massive priority. LB should the top priority, sort that out and we move Milner back into the midfield. In fact the left flank in general could do with some work. We've usually got Milner and Coutinho there which is a pairing that really lacks pace, especially compared to Clyne and Mane on the other side.

Edited by Dr Boris Gobshite

7 hours ago, Dr Boris Gobshite said:

I don't think GK is a massive priority. LB should the top priority, sort that out and we move Milner back into the midfield. In fact the left flank in general could do with some work. We've usually got Milner and Coutinho there which is a pairing that really lacks pace, especially compared to Clyne and Mane on the other side.

Love the idea of getting a proper left back, hate the idea of moving Milner back into the midfield. Thought he was pretty average there last season and he hasn't got any younger. I suppose he could fill in for Henderson at a pinch, but Hendo's so unreliable fitness-wise that it's well worth investing properly in that position.

Just now, Burning Gold said:

Love the idea of getting a proper left back, hate the idea of moving Milner back into the midfield. Thought he was pretty average there last season and he hasn't got any younger. I suppose he could fill in for Henderson at a pinch, but Hendo's so unreliable fitness-wise that it's well worth investing properly in that position.

It gives you more options though, Milner's work rate is out of this World and with Lallana you can shut down any opponent in the midfield. At the moment though, we don't even have that option because we have nothing else at LB. There was some talk of Chamberlain coming from Arsenal and I think he would be a decent midfield signing. If we're talking back up for Henderson though then I think the discussion has to start with whether or not we keep Can.

1 minute ago, Dr Boris Gobshite said:

It gives you more options though, Milner's work rate is out of this World and with Lallana you can shut down any opponent in the midfield. At the moment though, we don't even have that option because we have nothing else at LB. There was some talk of Chamberlain coming from Arsenal and I think he would be a decent midfield signing. If we're talking back up for Henderson though then I think the discussion has to start with whether or not we keep Can.

Gini's got a decent work rate too, but with more pace, technical ability, and end product. I'm not opposed to keeping Milner as a utility player but I don't want him to be second choice in midfield.

I'm not sold on Chamberlain. He'd be a decent option of the bench but, being English and coming from a rival clib, we'd have to overpay.

As for Can, I'd sell. He's clearly talented, but he's so immobile and brainless that I don't think he'll ever be a top player, especially in our system.

• Subscriber
On 3/11/2017 at 4:16 PM, LFCMadLad said:

Unless of course hiring Klopp was a ploy to sell shirts in India?

tell you what if someone can show me where this silly piece of news came from I'll use it to pick my day up. NB doesn't even sell Liverpool merchandise in India haha. 

As for our purchases in the summer, I'd like to see us chase a workhorse striker and shore up our defensive section. Its funny that the same problems which plagued the team when they made the run and ended up second are still around and the club has never properly addressed it.

In 2014, we finished 3rd whilst being undefeated and achieved 24/30 points against City, Arsenal, United, Liverpool, and Spurs. Liverpool finished being undefeated this season but only 20/30. 

Big game team whilst season bottlers? Join the club 

Edited by Cicero

1 hour ago, Machado said:

Liverpool end the season unbeaten against Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Tottenham and Arsenal for the first time since 1995-96.

They do prefer being the underdogs and reacting to what happens but unfortunately for them there's 14 other opponents all of whom are underdogs against them.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

In 2014, we finished 3rd whilst being undefeated and achieved 24/30 points against City, Arsenal, United, Liverpool, and Spurs. Liverpool finished being undefeated this season but only 20/30. 

Big game team whilst season bottlers? Join the club 

Our start to 2017 killed our chances. Pretty sad. But it also highlights the need for squad depth, because we're good but incredibly thin and when things fell apart we didn't have personnel to really change things up tactically (although, I'd argue we could have at least fucking tried... considering how consistently bad we were).

For now, it looks like we may have turned things around a bit. We've looked better in the last three matches, although two of those were Arsenal and Citeh... and big games are where I expect us to perform. I'm not sure if it's a mental thing or if it's a tactical thing where we just can't break down sides that don't take as many chances - but it's definitely something that needs to be addressed.

9 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

What's the deal with Woodburn? Has he actually played enough for Wales to even form an opinion on him or are they just reaching and preempting he'll be decent to get him away from England?

I think it's the latter

14 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

What's the deal with Woodburn? Has he actually played enough for Wales to even form an opinion on him or are they just reaching and preempting he'll be decent to get him away from England?

Bit of both really I'd imagine. Wales definitely want to cap him to tie him down as he's a great talent but he's come through the Wales under 17's & under 19's so they'll have a decent idea of what he can do. 

• The title was changed to Liverpool Discussion