talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The grass is green. Wanda Metropolitano's too, it seems

The lawn has been installed one week prior to the opening of the stadium.

https://www.atleticodemadrid.com/galerias/completada-la-colocacion-del-cesped?modo=vertical

DJBSpM_XkAA_geV.jpg

zZcmwuoXkt_Cesped_Wanda_Metropolitano_We

XyqekIyVKB_Cesped_Wanda_Metropolitano_We

BfAiETlsvA_Cesped_Wanda_Metropolitano_We

Imho the stadium inherits too many "architectural solutions" (patches) in order fit with the former build and the former olympic projects.

They currently look a bit challenged with the floodlight tilt/orientation.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

the grass has only just been laid and they expect to play on it within a couple of weeks? I thought pitches take about 4 weeks to bed in to be ready to be played on?

Nevertheless, I'm going to Madrid in a month's time. Hoping I can sort a tour out if they're doing them this early.

35 minutes ago, Stan said:

Near 68,000. 

That's big!  They'll be getting their usual diet of Copa del Rey Finals like usual then.

32 minutes ago, Stan said:

Better than Emirates from this view...

2Ddf2iDMHO_AE2.jpg?1501277189

Can't really tell from that picture because all the surroundings aren't finished yet by the looks of things.  It's a lot of land though, they can use that to make quite a bit of money if they own it like Arsenal did.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

That's big!  They'll be getting their usual diet of Copa del Rey Finals like usual then.

Can't really tell from that picture because all the surroundings aren't finished yet by the looks of things.  It's a lot of land though, they can use that to make quite a bit of money if they own it like Arsenal did.

They do. There's a large car park right adjacent to the stadium. That's not a recent picture. I don't think. Roof was done month or so ago. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

More pictures. It seems to have more identity than the Emirates. 

Screenshot_20170906-214443.pngScreenshot_20170906-214127.png

The right hand picture shows that it seems to have some sort of tail-end.  That definitely makes it look rather different.

Is that car park in the bottom left on a major slope or is it just me? :o

This video on the laying of the grass...  Not because of that, but it gives some decent views of the stadium.

They may be inaugurating it next week but from what I'm reading there's still quite a bit of work to be done yet in the surrounding areas and even the stadium itself.  Although it is apparently 100% secure and fit for full capacity high end games already.

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The right hand picture shows that it seems to have some sort of tail-end.  That definitely makes it look rather different.

Haha no that's just the angle of the picture xD

10 hours ago, SirBalon said:

The plot is located at an elevated position. There are slopes both towards the west and east. The most steep one is the later one but the most "notable" one is the former as the East one is facing the M-40 while the west one is facing "civilization" .

In that pic you are seeing (from the south) how the terrain gradually decreases in altitude and how it reflects in the bigger (southern) parking lot (that is: how a natural gradual slope becomes a man-made discrete discontinuity). There is another smaller parking lot to the West  (at a lower altitude).

Additionally, I have not read much about it, but I don't like at all the issue about Atlético not owning other property than the basic rectangular plot around the stadium (and not the parking lots) while they are planning onto putting (heftily lucrative) parking tariffs during the match days. I do not know how the nuances of the deal between Atlético and the City council are, but it does not sound right to me.

There are probably going to be transportation issues for a while anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

1505516093_352625_1505516663_portada_nor

Wanda METROPOLITANO

a new era for ATLÉTICO DE MADRID at 19:45

the inauguration

img_jggomara_20170906-103449_imagenes_md

Atlético de Madrid begin a new era today when the Atleti players jump onto the pitch at their new home and the fans fill the Wanda Metropolitano to the rafters.

Diego Simeone yesterday evening in the pre-match press conference spoke about what he sees as a continuation in the process to make Atlético Madrid one of the elite of European football.  He said; "I want the Metropolitano to be a pressure cauldron and that's the only thing that will make the new stadium something to be proud about.  It's fans that make stadiums great and not designs."

1505516093_352625_1505516175_sumario_gra

Atlético Madrid will be hosting Málaga CF tonight at 20:45 cet (19:45 bst)...  Málaga head coach, Míchel only had this to say in reference to the questions surrounding Atleti's new home, the Wanda Metropolitano; "It will be an important day in the history of Atlético de Madrid, but from my perspective the only thing I have to say about the new stadium is that I want my team to be known as the ones that beat them on the first day the stadium opened its doors!".  Just to add a curious note that Míchel's father was an Atlético Madrid fanatic and an anecdote Míchel has told many times on that curious detail is that when Míchel signed for Real Madrid as a child, his father told him that if he done things correctly, it would be good schooling as to become an Atleti great in the future...  Míchel went onto become a Real legend and never once wore the Atleti colours during his career.

15055134881333.jpg

Atlético Madrid comisiones the flag in the image which is apparently the largest in the world

The stadium has various curiosities due to the fact it was first built to be an olympic style arena and was part of the Madrid bid to be an Olympic City hosting the Olympic Games...  Unfortunately two of their bids never came to fruition and that's when Atlético Madrid jumped in and came to an agreement with the local government of Madrid to own the stadium and turn it into their new home.  This has been the spur to regenerate the area that lies between two zones (boroughs) of Madrid and unify them.  New access, a new metro station and many more facilities that are yet to be built will fill the void that was once there.  The stadium was partly demolished so as to be able to be conditioned into a football arena due to the different characteristics that olympic stadia have and the bad examples we have elsewhere of trying to turn those into football stadiums without doing the relevant work so as the fans feel part of the traditional feeling of attending a football game.

1505525484_386952_1505525886_sumario_gra

1505326521_875289_1505402904_infografia_

There is still a lot to do in the area that will be done slowly with shopping centres, cinema complexes and even a hotel...  All that comes with time, but the most important thing is that the stadium looks and feels like a football ground which is apparently what's been achieved and all accesses and surround gins of the functionality of the ground have been included and developed.

Atl%C3%A9tico_Madrid_logo.png

Pretty sure the 2019 Champions League Final will be held at the Wanda in Madrid. They're the only other stadium to  make the bid in time and don't think Baku will get it.

Here are the details. Selection will be made on September 21st. Deadline for bids was June 6th so it's a choice between Baku and Madrid.

Come to think of it Germany hosted 2 recent Finals, the 2012 in Munich and the 2015 in Berlin. (Didn't have to look it up :-) Know the years and corresponding venues by heart :-)  )

But that's not the same as the one city Madrid hosting two finals in 2010 and 2019! 

It should be the City of Barcelona's turn! That's only fair! 

The biggest prize in European club football deserves a stadium worthy of its grandeur, status and importance: our FC Barcelona's home stadium the Camp Nou!

11 minutes ago, 11Neymar Ousmane Dembélé11 said:

Pretty sure the 2019 Champions League Final will be held at the Wanda in Madrid. They're the only other stadium to  make the bid in time and don't think Baku will get it.

Here are the details. Selection will be made on September 21st. Deadline for bids was June 6th so it's a choice between Baku and Madrid.

Come to think of it Germany hosted 2 recent Finals, the 2012 in Munich and the 2015 in Berlin. (Didn't have to look it up :-) Know the years and corresponding venues by heart :-)  )

But that's not the same as the one city Madrid hosting two finals in 2010 and 2019! 

It should be the City of Barcelona's turn! That's only fair! 

The biggest prize in European club football deserves a stadium worthy of its grandeur, status and importance: our FC Barcelona's home stadium the Camp Nou!

The Barça board are about to officially be announced under censure by their members which will prohibit the board to enter the Camp Nou for international events.  The Wanda Metropolitano is the perfect stadium for such a final and big enough to give enough fans from whichever two teams play the final.

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Atletico no longer have a fortress where every team in Europe fear going.

I think all football clubs that get new stadiums all struggle a bit at the start mate.  There isn't an issue with the new stadium at all in my opinion, nothing that won't end up being part of the club like it's always been.  Their issue is one they seem to be suffering from in the past two seasons and if I'm not mistaken exactly the same thing happened to them last season where they started off on fire and then went through a dodgy spell that disconnected them from fighting for the title.  The only difference between this season and last is the Champions League which has also seen them drop stupid points and the last set of points being the most ridiculous which were away against Qarabag.

Simeone knows what's going on and it's upto him to get it sorted but from what I'm hearing, he's got some issues with a few players who he doesn't trust, one of them being Carrasco.  Another thing is Diego Godín who's not getting any younger and he's made some strange errors in recent weeks, one major one was in Villarreal's goal yesterday where he lost his mark and reacted too late.

Oh I'm sure it'll be a fortress again before long mate but I believe they will struggle this season due to it and it'll be a set back in this regard. I personally don't see them finishing higher than 4th this season and believe Valencia will finish above them.

Then again, for as much as they are struggling, they are still undefeated in la liga and on the same points as Real Madrid. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Real in 2 weeks.

They also don't get battered, they just lose by a goal or so in a tight game, or draw in a tight game they should have nicked.  For me though, they don't score enough. They should score a lot more with Griezmann, Correa, Carrasco, etc in their side, although once Diego Costa is eligible to play then I'm sure they will improve in this department. Vitolo will also provide a lot from an attacking perspective for them.

Archived