talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Cup Qualifiers (CONMEBOL) October 5th and October 10th

football forum

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

you're worse than Teso.

Wow, I'm devastated. Guess I should give up my humour and everything else. My forum rival is better, case closed.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"For Argentina to change stadium is an act of weakness. Its saying that they're scared."

I'd have to agree actually. Argentina is a better team than us despite us playing the better football. Much better players and a larger history, but they are terrified of us and its not the first time either. Since we knocked them out in 1969, they've been in bad situations where they've had to beat us. 1985 where they sent us to playoff with a goal in the last 10 minutes (by Gareca funnily enough) and in 2009 where we were a minute away to knock them out of contention before Martin Palermo saved them. This time, we are a better team than in 2009 by miles. Still not quite 1985, but that we will see with time. 

Martin Liberman in particular said that beating Peru will be a "monumental task". Lets not forget how hyped Paolo Guerrero is over there. Its not going to be easy for either side.

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

How does it show that they are scared exactly? 

What would the reason be for changing grounds other than adding a more hostile atmosphere? That's how I view it.

If its not the stadium, I could tell they are scared because of the history between the 2 sides in qualifying. Like I mentioned, its not just 1969 but also 1985 and 2009. I'm not talking the players and Sampaoli though, I mean football fans there in general.

Its no different here though. I don't think the players will be scared, but us fans and journalists are terrified.

So Argentina are asking for a Bolivian referee for the game vs Peru and a Uruguayan ref against Ecuador. Peru want a European. I didn't know teams were allowed to pick?

Its becoming a bit of a political battle as well. Argentina missing the world cup would harm their reputation, where as Peru just want to go back to the world cup.

Its extremely fishy that Argentina want a Bolivian and Uruguayan ref though, one nation is like Scotland to England, the other is one where Argentina have lots of immigrants.

Just now, Cicero said:

Where are you getting this information from? Surely not from biased Peruvian news and social media outlets

La Bombonera has already been confirmed. Its on FIFA's website. That was always inevitable though.

The Bolivian referee news exploded on my Twitter. The first one to report it was @ArbitoInteBlog on Twitter though who report referee work on their website. Sure they could be wrong, but they aren't from Peru.

The last one I saw on El Bocon but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were true.

Even if any of this wasn't true though, I know the AFA is scared because of the history as well as what some of the journalists over there have been saying. I don't know about the players, perhaps the pressure might get to them but they aren't who I'm focused on. Again, its no different with us. We're also terrified.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Blue said:

La Bombonera has already been confirmed. Its on FIFA's website. That was always inevitable though.

The Bolivian referee news exploded on my Twitter. The first one to report it was @ArbitoInteBlog on Twitter though who report referee work on their website. Sure they could be wrong, but they aren't from Peru.

The last one I saw on El Bocon but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were true.

Even if any of this wasn't true though, I know the AFA is scared because of the history as well as what some of the journalists over there have been saying. I don't know about the players, perhaps the pressure might get to them but they aren't who I'm focused on. Again, its no different with us. We're also terrified.

yet they, along with the managers & coaching staff, are the most important people xD 

Just now, Stan said:

yet they, along with the managers & coaching staff, are the most important people xD 

Ricardo Gareca and Jorge Sampaoli aren't scared, I'm sure of that. They've been in more hostile atmospheres. Unless the latter has been given an ultimatum, which I doubt.

I never said it will affect the match though, I just said that the AFA and football fans are scared of us and its no different with us to them. Keep in mind I said football fans though. I'm sure a normal Argentinian who doesn't follow the sport would think that this is an easy win for them.

Just now, Teso dos Bichos said:

zero chance of peru winning especially at la bombonera 

Will bookmark this.

I don't think we will win but I do recall you said we have 0 chance of making the world cup.

Remember your promise, if we make it you have to log out and never post again :D 

42 minutes ago, Blue said:

Will bookmark this.

I don't think we will win but I do recall you said we have 0 chance of making the world cup.

Remember your promise, if we make it you have to log out and never post again :D 

What if he changes his mind though?  That wouldn't be a bad thing as it keeps you on your toes. ;)

Our squad has been called up. Same squad as last time, a bit surprised Reyna didn't get a call but we are in no position to experiment so I'm with Ricardo Gareca on that.

1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

i think this is going to be more disappointing for peru. so close to making it, yet they will fall short. 

You can keep your opinion, but I am curious to know - what is your basis? Why do you always predict us to lose? Give me the reason, I'm curious!

Just now, Teso dos Bichos said:

tendencies/patterns peru has not been making the WC for 40+ years and they haven't had ANY significant trophy/title. they are not use to the pressure and thats the reason why they wont beat Argentina. dont get your hopes up buddy. 

Ha, what a shit reason.

Firstly, it doesn't answer why you think we will lose every game against them

Secondly, Chile haven't won any trophy until 2015. They've also had their good and bad spells, like us.

Thirdly, I don't know where you get the idea that Argentina won't be under pressure. Solano and Oblitas were part of the 98 setup and they blew it in the last 2 matches. Think they've made that perfectly clear to the squad.

Finally, I've told you not making the WC is irrelevant in this continent. All the teams bar Bolivia are at least decent. Now in the actual tournament, the pressure may apply there.

Again, you can have your opinion but it really doesn't answer my question properly. Give me a good reason as to why we have "no chance" to qualify other than "I want to troll".

• Administrator
16 hours ago, Blue said:

Ha, what a shit reason.

Firstly, it doesn't answer why you think we will lose every game against them

Secondly, Chile haven't won any trophy until 2015. They've also had their good and bad spells, like us.

Thirdly, I don't know where you get the idea that Argentina won't be under pressure. Solano and Oblitas were part of the 98 setup and they blew it in the last 2 matches. Think they've made that perfectly clear to the squad.

Finally, I've told you not making the WC is irrelevant in this continent. All the teams bar Bolivia are at least decent. Now in the actual tournament, the pressure may apply there.

Again, you can have your opinion but it really doesn't answer my question properly. Give me a good reason as to why we have "no chance" to qualify other than "I want to troll".

to be fair, not being used to pressure of being so close to qualifying for a major tournament is a legit reason. 

6 hours ago, Stan said:

to be fair, not being used to pressure of being so close to qualifying for a major tournament is a legit reason. 

So what makes you and Teso think that Argentina won't be under pressure for nearly missing the world cup?

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Blue said:

So what makes you and Teso think that Argentina won't be under pressure for nearly missing the world cup?

we haven't said they won't be?

But given the amount of important games they've had and clearly more experience at a higher level in their squad, they'd probably be able to handle pressure like this more. 

Just now, Stan said:

we haven't said they won't be?

But given the amount of important games they've had and clearly more experience at a higher level in their squad, they'd probably be able to handle pressure like this more. 

Maybe, but in front of their own fans? That will take away from it.

Sure we don't have as much experience, but we have 2 ex players in the set up who will try to ease the pressure: Solano and Oblitas. Oblitas was manager in 1998, Solano was a player. We were in the same position as now with 2 games left and they blew it. They will make sure they don't make the same mistake here. Now its on the players hands to see if the pressure will affect them.

My cousin is inviting me to the Estadio Nacional for the Colombia game. I couldn't pay for it on my own due to my trips and website work, so that's very nice of him.

I am a "salado" so we'll probably lose now, but all records are there to be broken. If we win it will be an unreal experience.

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived