• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Cup - 4th Round Draw

football forum

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Toony said:

Poor draw, on paper you'd expect the top 6 all to get through but wouldn't be a huge shock if there was one or two that went out. It's such a shit competition anyway.

I expect all the teams outside the top six will begin to start taking it more seriously now. The momentum a cup run can generate now will outweigh the burden of an extra 2, 3 or 4 fixtures.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I want us to win silverware don't get me wrong but I'm not overly bothered if we go out at Chelsea, this competition has been the biggest embarrassment I've ever known and whoever wins it can't truly be proud of what they've achieved. This is a competition that threatens English football and the way we know it, anyone that supports this rubbish deserves everything they get. 

I was in Liverpool at the weekend and there was a tent handing out free Carabao and allowing you to lift the EFL trophy and get a photo. I flat out refused to go near the place and shook my head in disgust at the whoppers lapping it up. 

i'm sure they were absolutely devastated.

it used to be somewhat of a respectable competition. Football is selling itself out and the way this competition has gone means it's lost whatever prestige it used to have. 

Having said that, even though it is a bit of a tinpot trophy now, I'd still want us to win silverware but not at the expense of other competitions (league and FA Cup)

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Lucas said:

Ditto. Should be an interesting game between your reserves and ours.

Wanted Man Utd but will settle for Leicester. It's a winnable game for both. Actually is a great chance for Leicester to get in the QF's. They should be targeting this trophy.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we rolled a weak side out and you took advantage. We've made a habit of this in the past couple of years - taken quite a scalp one round and then gone out to a team from a lower league. See Millwall knocking us out last year after we'd won at Everton.

We should be going for it for sure, the problem is nearly all the big boys avoided each other yet again. The quarter final opponents are likely to be Spurs, Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City and then the winner of Bristol City v Crystal Palace and Bournemouth v Middlesbrough, which if I had to make a prediction at the minute I'd go with Bristol City and Bournemouth.

But then again we are the only team in it who has knocked out a top six side so you never know.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Stan said:

agreed. Noticed you've got Sheff Utd on the Friday after so a day's less rest so to speak. Given they're doing so well in the league like you so far, I guess more focus will be on that.

That's handy. That almost guarantees a weakened team from them. We play Saturday (Swansea away) then the following Sunday (Everton home) so we've got no excuse really in my eyes.

4 hours ago, True Blue said:

Biggest club in London easy

It's what I love about this forum. Can quite clearly see through the shit and recognise the truth.

4 hours ago, Storts said:

West Ham finally get their cup final at Wembley - big occasion for them

Everyone had Slav down as a favourite to go first, but he gets us to Wembley for the first time in I don't know how long. Man is a managerial genius.

5 hours ago, Stan said:

agreed. Noticed you've got Sheff Utd on the Friday after so a day's less rest so to speak. Given they're doing so well in the league like you so far, I guess more focus will be on that.

Yeah, league will come first absolutely, so our game will have to be on a Tuesday. We will 100% rotate, you can be sure of that.

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, Large said:

It's what I love about this forum. Can quite clearly see through the shit and recognise the truth.

Everyone had Slav down as a favourite to go first, but he gets us to Wembley for the first time in I don't know how long. Man is a managerial genius.

Twice in a season as well! Slav's the man

2 hours ago, Dan said:

That's handy. That almost guarantees a weakened team from them. We play Saturday (Swansea away) then the following Sunday (Everton home) so we've got no excuse really in my eyes.

It plays nicely into your hands from that perspective. I would expect you to play a similar team to Tuesday but maybe Okazaki may feature from the start or possibly Iheanacho. Vardy and Mahrez I would assume still be on the bench.

Only thing I'd say about us is that we made 9 changes Tuesday night and still made a great fist of it. We have got some decent strength in depth now to the point where I will not worry if certain players are rested. Pontus Jansson included.

And given the way we've been performing, be it a league game or league cup, everyone wants to play and fight for the shirt and whilst that feel good factor is running through the team, players will be playing that little bit above their normal level to keep that momentum up meaning we'll be a tough opponent.

Of course there is a part of me that would love us to line up with the likes of Saiz, Alioski and Lasogga in this team to really test their ability but I will trust Christiensen's judgement.

The one thing you can guarantee with this game is we'll create a good atmosphere. Normally been a bit noisy with Leicester when we've came.

• Subscriber
41 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It plays nicely into your hands from that perspective. I would expect you to play a similar team to Tuesday but maybe Okazaki may feature from the start or possibly Iheanacho. Vardy and Mahrez I would assume still be on the bench.

Only thing I'd say about us is that we made 9 changes Tuesday night and still made a great fist of it. We have got some decent strength in depth now to the point where I will not worry if certain players are rested. Pontus Jansson included.

And given the way we've been performing, be it a league game or league cup, everyone wants to play and fight for the shirt and whilst that feel good factor is running through the team, players will be playing that little bit above their normal level to keep that momentum up meaning we'll be a tough opponent.

Of course there is a part of me that would love us to line up with the likes of Saiz, Alioski and Lasogga in this team to really test their ability but I will trust Christiensen's judgement.

The one thing you can guarantee with this game is we'll create a good atmosphere. Normally been a bit noisy with Leicester when we've came.

The fundamentals you've listed there (the bits in bold) are more important than a weakened team or not and that's why we can't bring any arrogance into the game at all. I felt a real lack of desire from our team at Huddersfield at the weekend and the way Huddersfield themselves played reminded me of what we were like, and I started to wonder where the hell it had gone.

I'm still not entirely sure quite how good we actually are. We've had a tricky set of fixtures and have yet to be at full strength, particularly in midfield.

If we play Ulloa you have a chance. The bloke is a liability nowadays. Have absolutely no idea how he's got a new contract.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived