talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Talk Football 365 All Time Starting XI

football forum

Best-soccer-players.jpg

Something we can all engage in as a community to respectively discuss who we all feel should be in the greatest ever starting XI. 

For each position, we will put our nominations in and debate who we feel deserves a place. After each member has given their vote, all nominations will be added to determine who wins the spot. If there is a draw, there will be an elimination tournament. 

I will allow a day or maybe a day and a half for everyone to participate in each round, depending on the amount of activity. 

We will start the discussion with ...

BEST FORMATION EVER

I'll start with my preferred 4-3-3

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Gianluigi Buffon

Philipp Lahm    Franco Baresi    Carles Puyol    Paolo Maldini

Sergio Busquets

Xavi     Diego Maradona    Johan Cruyff

Lionel Messi    Marco van Basten

Busquets? All-time?! 

Granted I'm just talking in my lifetime, but for me players like Pirlo, Gattuso, Xabi Alonso, Scholes were better in that kind of midfield role.

Iniesta makes me All-time XI regardless of any standard formation. 

@Cicero, happy with 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

2 minutes ago, StanLCFC said:

Busquets? All-time?! 

Granted I'm just talking in my lifetime, but for me players like Pirlo, Gattuso, Xabi Alonso, Scholes were better in that kind of midfield role.

Iniesta makes me All-time XI regardless of any standard formation. 

@Cicero, happy with 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

Pirlo and Scholes weren't defensive midfielders ever!

Busquets was and is superior to Xabi Alonso (everyone in Spain admits this) and definitely Gattuso who was just all energy.

He is the best defensive midfielder in my lifetime.

• Administrator

fair enough. each to their own.

Pirlo definitely was a defensive midfielder, anchor-man kind of player, though and would make any XI for me.

201602_0951_fgadd_sm.jpg

Just now, StanLCFC said:

fair enough. each to their own.

Pirlo definitely was a defensive midfielder, anchor-man kind of player, though and would make any XI for me.

201602_0951_fgadd_sm.jpg

No he wasn't mate!  He was a play maker in the ilk of Iniesta, Platini, Maradona or Scholes...  He isn't and wasn't as good as any of those I've just mentioned but he was great,.

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Gianluigi Buffon

Philipp Lahm    Franco Baresi    Carles Puyol    Paolo Maldini

Sergio Busquets

Xavi     Diego Maradona    Johan Cruyff

Lionel Messi    Marco van Basten

No Dennis :o

without been biased I would have Rijkaard in the defensive midfield, he was the complete player. 

I wouldnt go with a 4 3 3 as it only works with the right players, a lot of formations can fit a lot of sorts of players but with the 4 3 3 the main part is the midfield linking up with the attack, this was famously described by Johan Cruyff when he wanted to educate a couple of pundits that the midfield with the attack need to make a diamond, it will also need the right coach.    It is a very common formation these days but used in the wrong way by a lot of coaches because the striker gets isolated so much, this is seen a lot by the current Dutch team and recently with Arsenal with Arsene Wenger, who continue playing the same way but with no effect as they refuse to change their styles even though it is damaging their results.   The most success a lot of clubs have had is a 4 4 1 1, it gives strength in midfield with a supplier and goal scorer. 

8 hours ago, VanPanna said:

No Dennis :o

without been biased I would have Rijkaard in the defensive midfield, he was the complete player. 

Mate, I also left out Iniesta.

But I got to enjoy Cruyff in his final years which is why I've included him in there otherwise it would've been Iniesta in that position.

The reason I didn't put in Bergkamp (you know he's one of my favourites) is because I already put in Messi for the fantastical forward and the other one had to be a goal machine and for me the best goal machine I ever saw was Marco van Basten.

• Administrator

How many people would have Kante in their side? Genuine question.

Can you imagine how effective Kante and Makelele would be. Nothing would get through those. Defences would be able to rock up with deckchairs and just chill.

3 hours ago, StanLCFC said:

How many people would have Kante in their side? Genuine question.

Can you imagine how effective Kante and Makelele would be. Nothing would get through those. Defences would be able to rock up with deckchairs and just chill.

None of which have the ability to really control a game though. Having both is just defensive overkill. 

4-3-3 (3) 

4-4-2 (1)

4-3-2-1 (1)

4-2-3-1 (1)

3-4-3 (1)

On 09/03/2017 at 6:08 AM, Cicero said:

Best-soccer-players.jpg

Something we can all engage in as a community to respectively discuss who we all feel should be in the greatest ever starting XI. 

For each position, we will put our nominations in and debate who we feel deserves a place. After each member has given their vote, all nominations will be added to determine who wins the spot. If there is a draw, there will be an elimination tournament. 

I will allow a day or maybe a day and a half for everyone to participate in each round, depending on the amount of activity. 

We will start the discussion with ...

BEST FORMATION EVER

I'll start with my preferred 4-3-3

I'd actually start the discussion with an open Question on how to go about this... do you decide on a formation first and then pick the best players that fit that regardless of whether Messi misses out, or do you take a couple of formations through and fill both and then decide which is the stronger team at the end of it?

A manager would go formation first but that's based on them having a certain style of play and tactical approach. Not applicable to us in the TF365 arena...

Archived