• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton reject Zidane in favour of Marco Silva

football forum

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Silva is brilliant, certainly worth a shot but be incredibly sly  to fuck off from Watford after 3 months.

Why? The way Watford go through managers there's every chance he wouldn't be there at the end of the season anyway. If you're him, you're definitely thinking about that when an opportunity like this presents itself

27 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Why? The way Watford go through managers there's every chance he wouldn't be there at the end of the season anyway. If you're him, you're definitely thinking about that when an opportunity like this presents itself

You make it sound like Everton is a step up :ph34r:

On 15/11/2017 at 7:10 AM, Danny said:

Why would he want to leave Watford currently for Everton? His stock can increase at Watford and then he can go out and get a better job than Everton, they're just a slightly richer version of Watford at the moment.

For a much bigger salary. 

Anyway, £10 million we offered and Watford turned it down. He wants to speak to us. 

5 minutes ago, HK85 said:

For a much bigger salary. 

Anyway, £10 million we offered and Watford turned it down. He wants to speak to us. 

That makes sense, I'm sure he'd be shitting money once your owners have their way with him.

It'd be ludicrous if he left so early on in the season for Everton, Watford probably won't keep hold of him in the Summer but then their model will allow for them to bring someone as good in.

6 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Really? All the reports I've seen suggest he's not pushing for it to happen.

He's not pushing but would like to have the conversation. Watford are terrified about letting him have it and rightfully so. 

----

The ECHO reported on Wednesday that the Blues had identified the 40-year-old as their main target to replace Ronald Koeman, and that Silva was interested in speaking to them.

But with no release clause in his Watford contract, the Hornets are able to demand a significant compensation fee for their manager.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-fail-bid-appoint-marco-13909228.amp

6 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Not even comparable

Hey, if Cannabis wants to compare a manager that has gone from Hull to Watford with one that has twice overcome Bayern Munich to win league titles and domestic cups as well as getting to a Champions League Final then let’s all laugh xD:rofl:

Silva's not got a bad blot on his copybook, he's young, exciting and got one of the worst squads seen in the Premiership a fighting chance. Everton aren't going to attract a 'big club' manager as in one who's managed a current elite club, they need to nick one that's progressive and young. Silva ticks those boxes, it's only a shame they didn't bin off Koeman earlier and go in when he left us.

44 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Seems Everton carry on chasing the flavour of the month managers instead of ones with actual winning pedigree’s. 

Thought they’d be more ambitious than this once the takeover happened to be honest. 

We tried with a recent FA Cup winner and it didn't work. 

We tried with a multiple league winner as player and manager and it didn't work. 

1 hour ago, HK85 said:

We tried with a recent FA Cup winner and it didn't work. 

We tried with a multiple league winner as player and manager and it didn't work. 

A recent FA cup winner that also got relegated - that's not really proven pedigree. Very much a bit of good and a bit of bad there. And what someone wins in their playing career has very little to do with how they'll do as a manager - they can maybe reign in egos or try to impart a winning attitude. Koeman may have taken Ajax and PSV to some titles in Holland - but I'd say that's a lot different to winning the Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga, or the Prem. And if you're expecting success to translate over from one of the biggest clubs in one league to a club that's got a hell of a lot more competition in their totally different league... I don't think that's realistic.

In any case, I think it's a pretty bad situation for any manager to be jumping into. Koeman's summer business was pretty awful in all honesty and it's no wonder he couldn't get the tactics right ever, because he built a side that would make it tough for him to do so. And in that regard, I think it'd be hard to convince anyone who's pretty comfortable in their current job to take on a massive task of getting an unbalanced and out of form side to be in form and find winning tactics.

• Subscriber

Silva I wouldn't mind but it doesn't sit well with me that it'll be his third club in England this calendar year if it's him. Would also be fine letting Unsworth have it until summer and see if we can bring in a proven manager by whacking a massive salary on the table. 

• Subscriber

It is now over a month since we sacked Koeman. A lot has been said on Twitter and elsewhere but not as much on here about a split at the top of the club between Moshiri and Kenwright, with Kenwright happy to put Unsworth in charge and Moshiri wanting a more 'box office' appointment such as Maradona (paha).

Like I've said elsewhere, I'd rather we persist with Unsworth than rush the recruitment process just to get someone in if that means we end up settling for the easiest option rather than getting stuck in and finding and extracting the right guy from his current position if he holds one.

The most concerning thing for me about our process is why it took three weeks for us to really try for Silva. There was an international break in that time and I don't see what's changed in his or our circumstances between the day Koeman was sacked and now, so the only logical conclusion is that it's just taken us three weeks to decide.

Unsworth has been unfortunate in that his opportunity to exploit the "new manager" refresh that most teams go through came against Chelsea away, Leicester away who also had a new manager cancelling that out, and Lyon away. We got a glimpse of it against Watford but if there was any new regime optimism left, the last ten minutes of last night's game destroyed that. Whatever has happened results wise he has done us a huge favour giving 100% to the first team whilst being constantly undermined by the board going after what seems like every man and his dog rather than him. The players and the board don't deserve the bloke.

To wrap up, Martin O'Neill is the new favourite with Sky Bet. Jesus wept.

We waited so long on Silva because we probably got arrogant to think he'd force a move and act up like Koeman did when leaving Southampton. Silva wants to talk to us but doesn't want to cause a fuss in leaving when we thought he'd sniff the money and come running. 

We were willing to pay £20 million for him and Watford didn't budge. 

I don't think we've gone for "every man and his dog" either. Of the names like Allardyce, Dyche, Silva, Simeone, Rangnick who have been linked in the paper, only Allardyce has been approached and even that wasn't an interview, they passed it off as an 'informal chat'. Dyche has a £2 million clause, if we wanted him, he'd be here. Silva is the first real target we've gone for. 

• The title was changed to Allardyce Sacked; Silva Tipped to Take Over

Archived