talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Possible Coup in Zimbabwe

football forum

7 hours ago, BartraPique1932 said:

If there's a dude in camo telling you "It's not a coup." on the telly instead of the news anchor, IT'S A COUP, BABY!

I don't think any of us here are familiar with how the news in Zimbabwe is usually presented. Maybe all news anchors in Zimbabwe are military men...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, 6666 said:

I don't think any of us here are familiar with how the news in Zimbabwe is usually presented. Maybe all news anchors in Zimbabwe are military men...

No they are not haha.

A very good friend of mine is from Zimbabwe, as we both studied at the same uni some 10 years ago. He recommended this yesterday as an apt analysis of what's going on: https://www.bigsr.co.uk/single-post/2017/11/15/BSR-Special-The-end-of-an-era A good read for anyone who has interest and wants a more in-depth look from a Zimbabwean point of view.

On 16/11/2017 at 8:02 AM, The Artful Dodger said:

It’s just interesting that you have pointed out his crimes which cost the lives of literally a handful of people, whereas a massacre of 20,000 indigenous people doesn’t get mentioned.

As in any attempt to equalise land ownership, there will be expropriation. Sorry I don’t feel much sympathy when the reason they acquired that land and acquired such vast wealth was because of a state operating before Mugabe which was white supremacist.

I didn’t mention Gurkarundhi because I was evidently  ignorant of it in all honesty I thought it was done during the later part of the war not after. He’s a cunt for that regardless, his economic policies and attitude towards a fair democracy are also a joke, the violence employed a few years back was testament to that. 

And regardless of the way the land was acquired I just fail to see how a farmer and his wife & children being raped and murdered because of it can be written off as “collateral damage”. You can argue about the legitimacy of land tenancy agreements but I don’t think he would have honoured any agreement,

Also you’re saying it’s ok for them to just take land by force because the regime before was white supremacist. Mugabe is a black supremacist, that has taken land by force,to my mind a black supremacist taking land by force is just as much of a cunt as a white supremacist doing it.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, nudge said:

Mugabe "resigns",  Mnangagwa to succeed him.

Was thinking that too about his “resignation”. Should we assume he was offered the chance to resign and avoid repercussions ... or refuse and get locked up or killed in a freak ‘accident’?

• Subscriber
51 minutes ago, Batard said:

Was thinking that too about his “resignation”. Should we assume he was offered the chance to resign and avoid repercussions ... or refuse and get locked up or killed in a freak ‘accident’?

They gave him an offer with a deadline - resign voluntarily or face impeachment. The deadline was today, and the impeachment process was actually underway already when he handed in his "voluntary resignation" at last.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, nudge said:

They gave him an offer with a deadline - resign voluntarily or face impeachment. The deadline was today, and the impeachment process was actually underway already when he handed in his "voluntary resignation" at last.

You could argue this resignation is some 37 years too late 

They’re fucked anyway long term the Chinese have got their hooks into all factions in the succession race. 

17 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Somewhere in Washington DC, a 71 year old man is lamenting the downfall of an ally: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-39027611

😂 give it a rest it’s emba for them & you now

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, Batard said:

You could argue this resignation is some 37 years too late 

I don't know, different times, different contexts. A liberation figure turned despot, ruining national economy in the process. He certainly was obsessed with power and kept it for way too long, but who's to say it would have gone differently with anyone else in charge... 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

They’re fucked anyway long term the Chinese have got their hooks into all factions in the succession race. 

The Chinese have most of Africa and South/Southeast Asia in their pocket already anyway haha. The rest of the world to follow.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, nudge said:

The Chinese have most of Africa and South/Southeast Asia in their pocket already anyway haha. The rest of the world to follow.

I watched a documentary on that, the Chinese have really upset a lot of people in Cameroon with their excessive attitudes to work. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Batard said:

I watched a documentary on that, the Chinese have really upset a lot of people in Cameroon with their excessive attitudes to work. 

I've been witnessing it in Cambodia for the last 2 years, it's unbelievable to see such rapid transformation of the whole region. Land, infrastructure, industry, businesses - most of it are now in the hands of the Chinese, with no end in sight. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, nudge said:

I've been witnessing it in Cambodia for the last 2 years, it's unbelievable to see such rapid transformation of the whole region. Land, infrastructure, industry, businesses - most of it are now in the hands of the Chinese, with no end in sight. 

How broke or corrupt does a countries government have to be to let another country mine it’s resources, for a wedge of money likely incomparable to the profit the Chinese will make on it?

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Batard said:

How broke or corrupt does a countries government have to be to let another country mine it’s resources, for a wedge of money likely incomparable to the profit the Chinese will make on it?

A lot of factors in play here (corruption and instant gratification being a part of it), but one big thing is the fact that the Chinese are actually vastly overpaying for the right to secure all those contracts in infrastructure and industry; it's their main strategy. Add bilateral trade agreements, military and development aid, lavish loans and investments to that, and it's easy to see why governments of developing countries are very tempted to accept the deal - Chinese money let them build or buy things now that they couldn't otherwise afford for decades and gives a quick boost to economic growth and infrastructure. The growth and societal changes I'm witnessing here are immense and incomparable to anything else I've seen before (and I grew up in a post-Soviet country, so I've seen quite a bit of it). In addition, contrary to foreign donations from the West, Chinese aid comes "no strings attached" without conditions placed on human rights, democratic record or environmental protection, so there's basically no accountability - what government in the world could say no to that, haha. 

4 hours ago, nudge said:

Indeed they’ve carved up almost all of Africa while the West has relinquished it’s strangelhold on resources they’d got from colonies, while it grapples with guilt and aging affluent liberalising populations. 

We’ll see how bad the West really was when the Chinese are the global leaders calling the shots. Better the devil you know springs to mind for me. I certainly can’t see equality for none Chinese being high on the agenda. Can’t see much of a “progressive ideology” on the agenda at all really. 

History is so cyclical it’s humorous that we don’t learn. The “West” is currently under its death march like the final days of Rome a ruling class so corrupt it doesn’t care or do what’s good for the long term population/ country and Barbarians at the gate (yes I’m liking the migrant crisis to barbarians, they’re not scientists & surgeons in these dinghy’s)

Its human arrogance that we believe we’re that far removed from nature, we’re not the same rules apply. It’s a harsh rule of life the strong rule over the weak, we’ve become weak our society crippled with self centred ideology that has seen family valves diminished and eroded which has diluted the population and impacted negatively the natural refreshing at sustainable levels to maintain a strong workforce. Couple that with and an economic system that will eventually collapse in on itself because it’s predominantly based on smoke and it’s rigged, the “west’s” future doesn’t bode well. 

To me it looks like we had the world by it’s throat but we didn’t squeeze now here comes the next few generations where it’s our throats being squeezed by those we had on the ropes. The world will be a very different place in 200 years and it won’t be “white right wingers” that are the problem. 

People will no doubt call this racist but the Chinese will look after Chinese.  A superstate has been born it’s growth has been fed off our individual greed and eventually it will feed on us. We’ll be swamped with large numbers of our population that can’t be mobilised because they’re ill or inadequate and have next to no nationalistic loyalty they’re just a drain. We can’t compete we’ve destroyed ourselves from within it is after all how all empires fall eventually. 

54 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Economic-imperialism is just the same as imperialism except you don't call the empire an empire anymore because it's not PC. But as long as countries are a thing, imperialism will be a thing.

Of course but better to be the oppressor than the oppressed. 

16 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Of course but better to be the oppressor than the oppressed. 

I actually agree with that. But for the West to remain in power we would have needed to do things like not have the US pull out of Iraq after the moronic decision to go in - and actually occupy them, set up a better puppet govt, etc.

Not exactly popular foreign policy decisions.

The age of economic imperialism in a "post-imperial" world is fucking stupid. It's the same thing just waaaay more dishonest. If we're going to still have a form of imperialism... we should go back to just being open about it.

6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I actually agree with that. But for the West to remain in power we would have needed to do things like not have the US pull out of Iraq after the moronic decision to go in - and actually occupy them, set up a better puppet govt, etc.

Not exactly popular foreign policy decisions.

The age of economic imperialism in a "post-imperial" world is fucking stupid. It's the same thing just waaaay more dishonest. If we're going to still have a form of imperialism... we should go back to just being open about it.

I agree with you also plus 1 for not mentioning Trump & Russia 

• 7 months later...
  • Subscriber

There's apparently been an assassination attempt on the president Emmerson Mnangagwa, a bomb exploded as he was leaving the stage at his campaign rally in the city of Bulawayo. 1 dead, at least 48 injured.

Archived