talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alan Pardew hired as West Brom Manager

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I don't think these club owners think before sacking managers any more. Could West Brom realistically attract anybody better than Pulis? Could Everton realistically attract anybody better than Koeman? Is Moyes an improvement on Billic?

The pool of experienced and proven managers is very thin now due to the high turnover of managers. You're almost better off giving a Manager more time to turn things round.

The way we were playing under Koeman he had to go regardless of whether we had a replacement lined up. West Brom have been shocking for long enough under Pulis for their fans to say the same and West Ham have been a shambles this season given the players they've got and the money they've spent.

There are other cases where you can argue managers should have had longer but with the money involved in staying up only the bravest borderline stupid clubs will put a long term project over a guaranteed top 17 finish.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

The way we were playing under Koeman he had to go regardless of whether we had a replacement lined up. West Brom have been shocking for long enough under Pulis for their fans to say the same and West Ham have been a shambles this season given the players they've got and the money they've spent.

There are other cases where you can argue managers should have had longer but with the money involved in staying up only the bravest borderline stupid clubs will put a long term project over a guaranteed top 17 finish.

You've kind of contradicted yourself there as the three managers mentioned in the first paragraph are proven to get that top 17 finish you speak about in the second paragraph. I'd rather Koeman than Unsworth, I'd rather Billic than Moyes and I'd rather Pulis than Pardew. So keeping them wouldn't have 'borderline stupid.

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

You've kind of contradicted yourself there as the three managers mentioned in the first paragraph are proven to get that top 17 finish you speak about in the second paragraph. I'd rather Koeman than Unsworth, I'd rather Billic than Moyes and I'd rather Pulis than Pardew. So keeping them wouldn't have 'borderline stupid.

Keeping Koeman wouldn't have been borderline stupid, no, it would have been full blown retarded. We were losing every match comfortably, complete downward spiral had to be stopped. I'd rather have no manager than Koeman.

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Keeping Koeman wouldn't have been borderline stupid, no, it would have been full blown retarded. We were losing every match comfortably, complete downward spiral had to be stopped. I'd rather have no manager than Koeman.

Apart from the last half hour against Watford I don't see how anything you've produced under Unsworth is better than what Koeman produced. I'm not kidding myself to think he wasn't severely underachieving given some of the opposition he couldn't beat but owners sacking managers when there's nobody else readily available is arguably the definition of 'full blown retarded'.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Apart from the last half hour against Watford I don't see how anything you've produced under Unsworth is better than what Koeman produced. I'm not kidding myself to think he wasn't severely underachieving given some of the opposition he couldn't beat but owners sacking managers when there's nobody else readily available is arguably the definition of 'full blown retarded'.

If you need to break up with your girlfriend do you wait until you've got the next one lined up before you do it?

We were in freefall. We lost at home to Burnley, drew with Brighton and Apollon Limassol, got absolutely shafted by Arsenal, manager was picking the same shocking line ups and performances were getting worse. Sacking Koeman was the correct decision regardless of what came after. If he was still in charge we'd have got battered at Chelsea, Lyon, that 0-2 deficit against Watford would have been 0-4 at the end of the game and we would have been overrun by Palace too.

The squad remains unbalanced and short on confidence (because of Koeman) but Unsworth has at least got them fighting again and moving in the right direction. It's a shame we haven't got a replacement sorted but I back the club in doing a thorough search and not just settling for an Allardyce or a Dyche just because that's the best available. If needs be give it to Unsworth until summer and get an actual quality replacement in the meantime.

• Subscriber
Just now, The Palace Fan said:

I stopped reading after seeing that question. You do realise how flawed that logic is, right?

What's your actual point here? We should have just accepted Koemans shite until an obvious replacement was available? Because that's what I'm disagreeing with.

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

What's your actual point here? We should have just accepted Koemans shite until an obvious replacement was available? Because that's what I'm disagreeing with.

Given the alternative seems shitter - yes - Everton, West Brom and West Ham should have given their proven managers more time to change the situation rather than listening to the sirens going 'panic panic panic' in there heads which have got David Moyes and supposedly Alan Pardew back in Premier League employment.

• Subscriber
Just now, The Palace Fan said:

Given the alternative seems shitter - yes - Everton, West Brom and West Ham should have given their proven managers more time to change the situation rather than listening to the sirens going 'panic panic panic' in there heads which have got David Moyes and supposedly Alan Pardew back in Premier League employment.

West Ham and West Brom you might be correct - Moyes and Pardew I can definitely see what you're talking about, but even if we end up having to put the team in the hands of Unsworth until summer that's better for us than letting the downward spiral continue with Koeman. It was over. He had several more games after the majority of fans wanted his head to turn it around and we were getting worse by the game.

9 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Imagine thinking Koeman should have been given more time. 

I was his biggest fan and I defended him on several occasions but enough was enough. His football towards the end was shocking and the poisonous atmosphere was the worst I've ever seen at Goodison. When you're going into games hoping to keep the score down rather than winning then the alarm bells start to ring true. 

7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

West Ham and West Brom you might be correct - Moyes and Pardew I can definitely see what you're talking about, but even if we end up having to put the team in the hands of Unsworth until summer that's better for us than letting the downward spiral continue with Koeman. It was over. He had several more games after the majority of fans wanted his head to turn it around and we were getting worse by the game.

In all seriousness of the three the Koeman sacking makes the most sense. Everton shouldn't really go down with their squad and even if Koeman turned it round and they finished say ninth that would still be perceived as a failure given the optimism created in the summer. A better pool of managers would be available by then. 

The one I've always liked is Lucein Favre but he seems to be having a real off season.

4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

The problem with Koeman towards the end was that you could tell even he had resigned himself to his fate, he was just grinding it out to get the pay-cheque from being sacked rather than walking. In his last game where we lost 5-2 to Arsenal he didn't look arsed one bit, I watching him from the stands and he was just stood there, hands in pockets going through the motions. When a manager is like that it's time to move on. 

I have tremendous respect for Ronald and I do honestly wish him all the best but his time at Goodison was long up.

I noticed that too. Didn’t seem arsed in the slightest towards the end and as you say, when that happens it’s curtains. 

9 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

If Pardew does get the job it will be fascinating and irritating to watch the pundits whitewash his failures at previous clubs. Some of them probably still have their anti-Newcastle fan glasses on.

I always remembered something you said about Alan Pardew where you have to take the good with the bad and it's about how much of the bad you can take. If we had kept Pardew we probably would have stayed up as he would have pulled a streak of 5 or so wins together but ten months of pure shit is not worth the two months a year he wins everything. I preferred Pulis over him. 

• Subscriber

We got plenty of shite thrown our way when we appointed Puel because apparently we were blocking the path of young British coaches.

Appointing tried and tested failures like Pardew is surely worse.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Dan said:

We got plenty of shite thrown our way when we appointed Puel because apparently we were blocking the path of young British coaches.

Appointing tried and tested failures like Pardew is surely worse.

The whole sham around British coaches is hilarious now. Who in their right mind, apart from people like Ray Wilkins and Garth Crooks men completely out of touch with modern football and modern society, seriously considers established failures at the top level such as Alan Pardew, Steve Bruce and [insert names here] as credible choices for a Premier League job?

Whilst Gary Megson somewhat came across like he's always had an ulterior motive to go back to The Hawthornes with the way he spoke in the press conference after Tony Pulis was sacked I can't help but feel they should stay by him for at least another week if he can beat Newcastle United during the weekday fixtures.

On 21/11/2017 at 10:17 PM, The Palace Fan said:

I will never forgive him for that. A local lad gives us the lead in an FA Cup Final which was arguably the biggest moment in our history and that egotistical twat goes and makes it all about himself with that fucking ridiculous dance.

Well he probably got lost in the moment to be fair

On 24/11/2017 at 11:21 AM, Kitchen Sales said:

If Pardew does get the job it will be fascinating and irritating to watch the pundits whitewash his failures at previous clubs. Some of them probably still have their anti-Newcastle fan glasses on.

Most managers have a similar record though to be honest. If your taking on teams with similar resources it's hard to stand out.

52 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Most managers have a similar record though to be honest. If your taking on teams with similar resources it's hard to stand out.

Thing is Pardew's career had collapsed down to League One when he won the Newcastle job in a game of poker :ph34r:

Archived