• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UEFA's Ultimate Team of the 21st Century

football forum

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Batard said:

Any player mate. I’m not precious about the formation. 

Done it mate! ;)

Pirlo

Lahm    -    Maldini    -    Puyol    -    R. Carlos

Xavi

Scholes    -    Iniesta

Messi    -    Eto'o    -    C. Ronaldo

:ph34r:

9 minutes ago, Batard said:

Personally, I wouldn’t have Eto’o in the side 

So who would you have as centre forward mate...  Someone in the last 17 years playing in that position and has been top of the tree in the Champions League and possibly in other competitions in football both domestically and internationally.

I just think those that vote on these things (coaches, captains and journalists) don't stop to think too long about these things.  It's always opinionated with a result that's very subjective.  You're not always going to please everyone or better said, not everyone is going to agree.  Look at this thread, there are sorts of varying opinions and names.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Done it mate! ;)

Pirlo

Lahm    -    Maldini    -    Puyol    -    R. Carlos

Xavi

Scholes    -    Iniesta

Messi    -    Eto'o    -    C. Ronaldo

:ph34r:

Eto'o over Raul? xD I know you support Barcelona but that is taking it way too far :D   Plus its funny you have Eto'o as a striker, I saw Mourinho's all time XI and he had him at left back :S 

17 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

I saw Mourinho's all time XI and he had him at left back

xD

The less said about Mourinho and these types of things the better hahaha.

But on the whole of what you've said to me, I don't get anal about these things mate.  I just LOVE the debate with these types of subjects and am open to all sorts of permutations.  I'm not all "this has to be the way".  That's why I'm constantly asking questions when someone mentions another name.

10 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

xD

The less said about Mourinho and these types of things the better hahaha.

But on the whole of what you've said to me, I don't get anal about these things mate.  I just LOVE the debate with these types of subjects and am open to all sorts of permutations.  I'm not all "this has to be the way".  That's why I'm constantly asking questions when someone mentions another name.

I just thought it was a Barca and Real thing :ph34r:

Let's put the big names in the last 20 years where strikers are concerned...  Off the top of my head these names come up;

• Samuel Eto'o
  • Thierry Henry
  • David Villa
  • Zlatan Ibrahimović
  • Radamel Falcao
  • Ronaldo (Luís Nazário de Lima)
  • Luis Suárez
  • Raúl
  • Cristiano Ronaldo
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy
  • Miroslav Klose
  • Sergio Agüero
  • Wayne Rooney
  • Andriy Shevchenko

Raúl is a football legend, but let me say that Raúl's best moments are mixed between pre-20 years ago and within the 20 year mark which is why I haven't added him in any of my lists...  Plus his international status suffered from being ousted by Luis Aragonés which is when Spain started to free themselves from underachieving (I don't know if people are counting international football in there too).

Also...  Cristiano Ronaldo for the past three years has been an out and out 9 (striker) which means you could conceivably say he's a striker.

Van Nistelrooy for me I'm not too sure...  His numbers are great, but I don't know why he doesn't do it for me.

Ronaldo (the Brazilian one) is one of the greatest 9s of all time!  But again...  His numbers are great and his outstanding club football season was only one for me which was his season at Barça and I'm not even being biassed there as far as I'm concerned.

Those are my opinions, but that's all they are.

There are various names that have been at the top of the tree for a time but never managed to make a serious mark in football folklore.

Are there more names?

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Let's put the big names in the last 20 years where strikers are concerned...  Off the top of my head these names come up;

• Samuel Eto'o
  • Thierry Henry
  • David Villa
  • Zlatan Ibrahimović
  • Radamel Falcao
  • Ronaldo (Luís Nazário de Lima)
  • Luis Suárez
  • Raúl
  • Cristiano Ronaldo
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy
  • Miroslav Klose
  • Sergio Agüero
  • Wayne Rooney

Raúl is a football legend, but let me say that Raúl's best moments are mixed between pre-20 years ago and within the 20 year mark which is why I haven't added him in any of my lists...  Plus his international status suffered from being ousted by Luis Aragonés which is when Spain started to free themselves from underachieving (I don't know if people are counting international football in there too.

Also...  Cristiano Ronaldo for the past three years has been an out and out 9 (striker) which means you could conceivably say he's a striker.

Van Nistelrooy for me I'm not too sure...  His numbers are great, but I don't know why he doesn't do it for me.

Ronaldo (the Brazilian one) is one of the greatest 9s of all time!  But again...  His numbers are great and his outstanding club football season was only one for me which was his season at Barça and I'm not even being biassed there as far as I'm concerned.

Those are my opinions, but that's all they are.

There are various names that have been at the top of the tree for a time but never managed to make a serious mark in football folklore.

Are there more names?

Shevchenko was another great name you missed off. 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

So who would you have as centre forward mate...  Someone in the last 17 years playing in that position and has been top of the tree in the Champions League and possibly in other competitions in football both domestically and internationally.

I just think those that vote on these things (coaches, captains and journalists) don't stop to think too long about these things.  It's always opinionated with a result that's very subjective.  You're not always going to please everyone or better said, not everyone is going to agree.  Look at this thread, there are sorts of varying opinions and names.

I feel we’re being a little specific with roles here, but I’d be satisfied with Messi and Cristiano as the forwards given their goal records 

GK - Iker Casillas
RB - Philip Lahm
CB - Carlos Puyol
CB - Paolo Maldini
LB - Roberto Carlos
CM - Xavi
CM - Xabi Alonso
CM - Andres Iniesta
RW - Lionel Messi
ST  - Thierry Henry
LW - Cristiano Ronaldo

Think that would be it for me although the actual UEFA team is pretty decent. I fully agree that Gerrard and Lampard were above Scholes as well, I don't understand the cries for him being in this team.

1 hour ago, Batard said:

I feel we’re being a little specific with roles here, but I’d be satisfied with Messi and Cristiano as the forwards given their goal records 

I’m really intrigued with you and these types of debates because I get the impression you don’t like them much mate.

But I’d love to see an XI alla Batard! 

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I’m really intrigued with you and these types of debates because I get the impression you don’t like them much mate.

But I’d love to see an XI alla Batard! 

Challenge accepted! 

Archived