talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Australian A-League

football forum

• Administrator

Brilliant save from Vukovic in the penalty shoot-out. Victory had their chance to win in in the last couple mins of ET, hitting the post from Troisi. 

Can't say Sydney don't deserve to win though given they smashed the league out the park and were so dominant as they finished top 

• The topic was pinned
8 hours ago, Tanksie said:

You should come to Sydney. I would happily have a beer or 2 with you and watch a game.

I may actually visit Sydney for 5 days while I'm there. Most likely for my birthday. Sure haha

I'm going to Wellington Phoenix vs Perth Glory only. I just saw that Auckland and Wellington are 7 hours away, so I'll probably only be able to go to that. I could also do WSW but Perth are my A-League team so I'm looking forward to it.

On 6/29/2017 at 1:13 AM, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I'm going to Wellington Phoenix vs Perth Glory only. I just saw that Auckland and Wellington are 7 hours away, so I'll probably only be able to go to that. I could also do WSW but Perth are my A-League team so I'm looking forward to it.

Good man! Wellington just signed a Perth boy Scott Galloway too.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Maccarone signs for Brisbane Roar

f9f43b0ac2f38e805cea8eff314ab0d7.png

We were linked to him, and thank fuck we didn't sign him. 37, waste of time.

Chris Herd is at WSW. Will be interesting to see if he can get anywhere near those heights of Aston Villa first team days. He did sign for us a year ago but withdrew due to personal issues and ties to England... Fun fact: I used to play against him at high school. 

• 2 weeks later...

Perth Glory just got knocked out of the cup by a semi pro team from Victoria. Brilliant. One of WA's state sides have made it further than our state's pro team. It's going to be a fucking horrible season and our captain has just pissed off to a team in Uzbekistan :congrats:

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Anton said:

Perth Glory just got knocked out of the cup by a semi pro team from Victoria. Brilliant. One of WA's state sides have made it further than our state's pro team. It's going to be a fucking horrible season and our captain has just pissed off to a team in Uzbekistan :congrats:

hasn't Risdon and Williams left too?

You still got Diego Castro? I liked watching him last season. Seemed to be a game-changer. 

Just now, Stan said:

hasn't Risdon and Williams left too?

You still got Diego Castro? I liked watching him last season. Seemed to be a game-changer. 

Yeh Risdon spent his whole career with us and went to WSW and we got another local lad and former player (and nemesis on my football field growing up) Scott Neville from them in return. Williams left to go to Melbourne or something can't remember don't care. Good player though. When fit was our best defender since Lucas Neill.

Yeah Castro signed for another season but is on holiday or some shite so didn't play. We are nothing without him.

• 2 weeks later...

My A-League prediction this year

1. Sydney FC

2. Melbourne City

3. WSW

4. Melbourne Victory

5. Perth Glory

6. Central Coast Mariners

7. Adelaide

8. Newcastle Jets

9. Brisbane Roar

10. Wellington Phoenix

Think Perth Glory will stagnate this year. Keogh and Taggart is a canny enough front 2 while Diego Castro is still around but needs to stay fit as the 2 forwards sure as heck need support. They can score, but they need creativity. Andreu is a risky signing. 34 years of age and wasn't the best for WSW so we'll see how he does. Jake Brimmer is an interesting signing. Zaccardo also linked

I am almost sure Wellington Phoenix will finish bottom this year. They lost Barbarouses and they don't have much else other than Roy Krishna. Goran Paracki looks an interesting player but they have a bang average squad for the most part and should struggle this season.

Brisbane Roar according to a few Australians I know will likely struggle. Old squad and last season despite finishing high up looked poor. I can see that trend continue onto this season and see them finish somewhere outside of playoffs, although not sure where.

Central Coast Mariners have an interesting squad and I think they'll sneak in. They got in Tom Glover on loan from Spurs who I highly rate. Did well in the Spurs youth teams and I liked him in the U19 AFC championship (one I was actually able to catch unlike the youth PL). Daniel De Silva on loan from Roda is the other who is a nice capture. Add that with the other young players that CCM have like Liam Rose who already has 40+ appearances for his age in the A-League, I like the look of them a bit more than their rivals the Jets.

As for the winner, it surely has to be Sydney again. Most A-League champions struggle after winning the league. Its been a trend since it started, but Sydney have kept the core and should continue to do well. Keeping Ninkovic was key. Brosque and Brillante are still there and they just signed Polish international Mierzejewski. Not sure who the other finalist will be. It could be Victory again but we'll see how losing Rojas will affect them.

What about you guys? @Anton @Stan?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

only just seen this and came in here to ask @Anton if he's going to the season opener next month (not sure if back from Japan).

If Sydney can recreate their early defensive form it gives them a great platform to succeed again this upcoming season. I've noticed that Melbourne City have replaced Amor with another British manager in Warren Joyce. Interesting to see how he handles their kind of players because it'll be totally different to what he had at Wigan earlier this year where he failed miserably. 

Ever since I started watching A-League, Castro stood out as a game-changer for Perth Glory and usually if he didn't play well or wasn't on fire, Perth would struggle. 

Probably be between Newcastle, Wellington & Central Coast to finish last. Roy Krishna needs to move on from Wellington as he deserves to showcase his skills at a better club, one that will challenge higher up the table. 

Victory signing Barbarouses is a good signing and will probably help them finish top 4. 

As you say, winners tend to struggle the season after winning it and this is mainly due to participation in the AFC Champions League. None of the teams seem to have the depth in strength to cope with the demands of 2 competitions plus all the travelling. Maybe Sydney can buck that trend.

13 minutes ago, Stan said:

only just seen this and came in here to ask @Anton if he's going to the season opener next month (not sure if back from Japan).

If Sydney can recreate their early defensive form it gives them a great platform to succeed again this upcoming season. I've noticed that Melbourne City have replaced Amor with another British manager in Warren Joyce. Interesting to see how he handles their kind of players because it'll be totally different to what he had at Wigan earlier this year where he failed miserably. 

Ever since I started watching A-League, Castro stood out as a game-changer for Perth Glory and usually if he didn't play well or wasn't on fire, Perth would struggle. 

Probably be between Newcastle, Wellington & Central Coast to finish last. Roy Krishna needs to move on from Wellington as he deserves to showcase his skills at a better club, one that will challenge higher up the table. 

Victory signing Barbarouses is a good signing and will probably help them finish top 4. 

As you say, winners tend to struggle the season after winning it and this is mainly due to participation in the AFC Champions League. None of the teams seem to have the depth in strength to cope with the demands of 2 competitions plus all the travelling. Maybe Sydney can buck that trend.

Think Central Coast will do a bit better than fighting for last. I agree on Newcastle and Wellington though. Brisbane have talent but not much legs, so I wasn't sure where to put them.

• 2 weeks later...

Prediction:

1. Sydney FC - going to be tough but I am thinking they can back this up.

2. Melbourne Victory - cunts

3. Melbourne City - going forward, still look impressive

4.  WSW - Should be a solid outfit this year.

5. Brisbane Roar - quite an unknown package this season. Not sure really where to put them.

6. Adelaide - this is where it gets tough, any of the other 5 sides could be here.

7. Perth Glory - we will just miss out because we have no fucking defence. (This is a very optimistic prediction).

8. Central Coast - Sauce bottle.

9. Newcastle Jets - don't know much about their off season recruitment to be fair

10. Wellington Phoenix - the Nix to get the wooden spoon.

Edited by Anton

• 2 weeks later...

Fucks sake - if I remembered the A-League was starting today I would have gone to bed right after I got home from work.

Ah well, I accept the challenge of staying up until 6 :coffee: