talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Christmas

football forum

I love Christmas with the fam as much as the next person but a Christmas away has got to be done, in fairness it'll only be my second away but next year will be my third in New Zealand.

I wouldn't necessarily go on holiday at Christmas, but I couldn't think of anything worse than to break up my travels just to fly back. I've had plenty with them and will have plenty in the future.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
10 hours ago, Danny said:

I love Christmas with the fam as much as the next person but a Christmas away has got to be done, in fairness it'll only be my second away but next year will be my third in New Zealand.

I wouldn't necessarily go on holiday at Christmas, but I couldn't think of anything worse than to break up my travels just to fly back. I've had plenty with them and will have plenty in the future.

Hated Christmas away - did it once, never again. Being in the Florida Keys just didn't cut it.

3 hours ago, Storts said:

Hated Christmas away - did it once, never again. Being in the Florida Keys just didn't cut it.

How long were you away for? Not to play the I'm well travelled cars but I think its a bit different when you've been been away for a decent amount of time anyway.

I'll have been gone about 7-5 months and am due to be gone for potentially over 2-3 years overall as a minimum, plus there are a lot of British/European/American backpackers in the same boat so you just end up having Christmas with them.

• Administrator

sorry to hear that @Bluebird Hewitt hope she recovers in time. 

1 hour ago, Danny said:

How long were you away for? Not to play the I'm well travelled cars but I think its a bit different when you've been been away for a decent amount of time anyway.

I'll have been gone about 7-5 months and am due to be gone for potentially over 2-3 years overall as a minimum, plus there are a lot of British/European/American backpackers in the same boat so you just end up having Christmas with them.

not really the same as actual family though? Especially if you're naturally close to family as well. 

1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Cheers. She's been in for a month and was due to be discharged Monday just gone, but the hospital found an infection and needs more antibiotics.

Sorry to hear mate. I'm saying goodbye to my grandmother today. She wants to pass away and hasn't eaten for 6 days. Last chance I'll get to see her is later this morning. Going to be tough. 

3 hours ago, Stan said:

sorry to hear that @Bluebird Hewitt hope she recovers in time. 

not really the same as actual family though? Especially if you're naturally close to family as well. 

No but when you're on the otherwise of the world working and living for yourself you make friend so who for a short time essentially become family. Live with 24/7 whether in a hostel or in a house. Go through financial struggles with and go through life changing events with. Travelling changes you for the better 100% and spending Christmas with the people you've changed with is no bad thing.

If I were at home I'd spend Christmas with my family 100%, but I'd much rather spend the past year and the next couple of them travelling and spending Christmas away from them if it means I can travel for longer

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/12/2017 at 0:15 AM, carefreeluke said:

Yeah love Xmas and looking forward to it.

I've been living in Seville since September and back home for two weeks or so over Xmas. Considering the weather we have in England in the summer and especially taking into account the last summer we had, I would now go as far as saying that winter is the best time of year, London for me is class in and around Xmas time. I'm looking forward to spending time with family and mates and to be back to going to the football as well.

How come you're living over there?

11 hours ago, Any O'Brien said:

How come you're living over there?

I did a degree in Spanish mate but my Spanish isn't level I want it to be so I'm here in Seville mainly to improve that. I lived in Spain in 2014 and loved it so much that since that moment I wanted to come back.

Obviously I need to work to be able to afford it so a common way to move abroad and work is to teach English, so I'm an English teacher. Did my qualification cost 100 quid something which was training over one weekend and some grammar stuff to complete online and I'm qualified. xD I don't want a proper career in teaching at all, teaching jobs (particularly in Spain) are very easy to get and it's a job which allows me to earn money and live in Spain. It isn't teaching like home where you have a class of sweaty 30 teenagers, it's private academies where people spend extra to have more classes. Lessons are in the afternoons and evenings. Small groups, the biggest group I have is a class of 5 and I mainly teach adults as well, a part from 2 hours a week where I'm with young kids (7-8 year olds). As mentioned whilst I don't want to make a career out of teaching, I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected. Lots and lots of Brits out here doing it, relatively easy life working Monday to Thursday, throw in the culture, sun etc.

9 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

I did a degree in Spanish mate but my Spanish isn't level I want it to be so I'm here in Seville mainly to improve that. I lived in Spain in 2014 and loved it so much that since that moment I wanted to come back.

Obviously I need to work to be able to afford it so a common way to move abroad and work is to teach English, so I'm an English teacher. Did my qualification cost 100 quid something which was training over one weekend and some grammar stuff to complete online and I'm qualified. xD I don't want a proper career in teaching at all, teaching jobs (particularly in Spain) are very easy to get and it's a job which allows me to earn money and live in Spain. It isn't teaching like home where you have a class of sweaty 30 teenagers, it's private academies where people spend extra to have more classes. Lessons are in the afternoons and evenings. Small groups, the biggest group I have is a class of 5 and I mainly teach adults as well, a part from 2 hours a week where I'm with young kids (7-8 year olds). As mentioned whilst I don't want to make a career out of teaching, I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected. Lots and lots of Brits out here doing it, relatively easy life working Monday to Thursday, throw in the culture, sun etc.

Sounds class mate, buzzing for you. Definitely want to live abroad one day and Spain is probably my most likely destination. Not too far from home, good climate and overall a pretty decent country. 

23 hours ago, Any O'Brien said:

Sounds class mate, buzzing for you. Definitely want to live abroad one day and Spain is probably my most likely destination. Not too far from home, good climate and overall a pretty decent country. 

Cheers mate! Yeah, home's easily reachable which is nice, know a lot of Americans / Aussies etc here for example who won't be home for Xmas because of the distance and price of flying whereas I can go home for the 'best bits' if you like.

Yeah mate, I'd recommend Spain definitely, you won't regret it!

23 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Cheers mate! Yeah, home's easily reachable which is nice, know a lot of Americans / Aussies etc here for example who won't be home for Xmas because of the distance and price of flying whereas I can go home for the 'best bits' if you like.

Yeah mate, I'd recommend Spain definitely, you won't regret it!

Yeah exactly mate, literally two hours on a flight. Would take me longer to get to London by train, and probably more expensive.

What is the weather like out there at the moment? I've said in the holiday thread but I'm off to Malaga next week so hoping it's decent still. Can't be much colder than Costa Del Tyneside.

On 12/6/2017 at 6:08 PM, Anton said:

Depends on your situation. This will be my third Christmas away from Perth. Have only got a small family split across two continents. Sister is away, so it would be my parents and me... rather spend it in Cambodia with some mates having a laugh and a drink. Going to find a western meal though that's my only must. Last year in Sapporo booked in to a fancy hotel to get some western Christmas feast haha but very interesting being in places where it's not widely celebrated. It's a load of shite anyway. Having said that, have fond memories of family times when I was young. 

Yeah I agree that it depends on the situation. All my family are in Peru so it can be a bit shite to be away this time a year, but I'm in New Zealand with my parents and brother at the end of the day and I haven't seen them in 6 months.

Anyways I got a new Canon Camera for christmas. Look forward to using it at the footy.

3 hours ago, Any O'Brien said:

Yeah exactly mate, literally two hours on a flight. Would take me longer to get to London by train, and probably more expensive.

What is the weather like out there at the moment? I've said in the holiday thread but I'm off to Malaga next week so hoping it's decent still. Can't be much colder than Costa Del Tyneside.

Cold mate and I'm living in the sunniest city in Europe. Mid November to the end of February it's cold in the south of Spain, it gets worse in January and February and I've spoke to many locals here who say it's been a lot colder than usual. The strange thing is that the sun is always shining but in the early morning and late at night the temperature drops and it's cold, coat wearing weather... or for you lot up north a light jacket. xD I play football here middays / early afternoons and it feels like I'm getting a tan some days, a nice day in Spring back home maybe but the temperature really drops at night. I'm working afternoons and evenings/nights for example and I'm taking a coat every day at the moment without fail.

I may not be the best judge as I think I've acclimatized a bit, a mate was here visiting this week for example and she said it was cold here but nowhere near as cold as back home and she's from Manchester way. I've heard this time of year Malaga way can be warmer though which is to do with the mountains etc.

Maybe one for @SirBalon

On 20/12/2017 at 8:28 AM, Lucas said:

Michael Buble's songs are wearing thin already.

Had that in work in 2015 where it was the only CD played. Again. And again. And again. And again. And again. :61_sob:

For me, have a few drinks tomorrow followed by some on Xmas Eve, usual Xmas Day of food and family, football on Boxing Day then off to Exeter on 27th.

On 22/12/2017 at 1:17 AM, carefreeluke said:

Cold mate and I'm living in the sunniest city in Europe. Mid November to the end of February it's cold in the south of Spain, it gets worse in January and February and I've spoke to many locals here who say it's been a lot colder than usual. The strange thing is that the sun is always shining but in the early morning and late at night the temperature drops and it's cold, coat wearing weather... or for you lot up north a light jacket. xD I play football here middays / early afternoons and it feels like I'm getting a tan some days, a nice day in Spring back home maybe but the temperature really drops at night. I'm working afternoons and evenings/nights for example and I'm taking a coat every day at the moment without fail.

I may not be the best judge as I think I've acclimatized a bit, a mate was here visiting this week for example and she said it was cold here but nowhere near as cold as back home and she's from Manchester way. I've heard this time of year Malaga way can be warmer though which is to do with the mountains etc.

Maybe one for @SirBalon

Yeah it could be that you have acclimatised. It hasn't been that cold recently here but 2 weeks ago it was in the minuses for most of the day. Still though a nice spring day is better than anything we have had since about September. 

Just a quick line to all members of the board to wish you and all your families the very best of Christmas times.

May this Christmas bring joy and love to your heart & soul, and may you start the New Year on a beautiful note. Wishing you the best Christmas and a safe and happy New Year!

One hopes this is posted in the correct section, wouldnt want to overwork our Thin Red Line of staff :ay:

Archived