talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Crown (Netflix)

football forum

Just started season 2 and again it’s top draw. Irrespective of the monarchy the thing that’s rapidly becoming most fascinating about this show is the dramatisation of British politics & politicians during the aftermath of WW2 and the dismantling of empire. Series 2 starts with the Suez Canal crisis and again it’s fascinating. 

Also Matt Smith & Clair Foy are brilliant in their roles

Also if you’re not going to talk about the show do fuck off here, start a thread in the politics section about the legitimacy of a monarchy. 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Starting season 2 this evening. As someone who isn't at all interested in the royal family I was amazed at how engaging this is. The bloke who played Churchill in Season 1 was brilliant.

The Mrs made me watch it initially and I got into it straightaway. I’m looking forward to later seasons with the various political events of the day. Blair & the Iraq War will be good as will the assassination of Mountbatten. 

Also ive irrationally grown to like Phillip based off this portrayal alone, in my time he’s been a doddering old man prone to the odd gaff, as a young man he seems a bit like Harry & William are today 

• Subscriber

Up to episode 6. Superb.

On 10/12/2017 at 7:51 PM, Fairy In Boots said:

The Mrs made me watch it initially and I got into it straightaway. I’m looking forward to later seasons with the various political events of the day. Blair & the Iraq War will be good as will the assassination of Mountbatten. 

Also ive irrationally grown to like Phillip based off this portrayal alone, in my time he’s been a doddering old man prone to the odd gaff, as a young man he seems a bit like Harry & William are today 

I've never had an opinion either way on him for the same reasons you state but I definitely see what you mean here. Matt Smith makes a far better Phillip than a Doctor Who.

8 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Up to episode 6. Superb.

I've never had an opinion either way on him for the same reasons you state but I definitely see what you mean here. Matt Smith makes a far better Phillip than a Doctor Who.

We’ve done the first 4, the actress who plays Margret is brilliant also. However a bit of a spanner is in the works, I read they’re planning to switch Actors ever two seasons to help the time jumps, Olivia Colman will be Elizabeth in season 3-4 which I’m a bit bummed out about, Foy is a looker

• Administrator

Finished episode 3 last night, have to say as much as I liked season 1 I’m preferring season 2. Matt Smith has come alive this season. He is just immense in the role of Philip. Award worthy performance indeed.

Also. Jeremy Northam as Anthony Eden, he nailed that role. The general standard of acting has been off the chart. 

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Subscriber

That's series 4 on Netflix and the wife is watching episode one, I gave up on this way back as the wife kept sitting there watching episodes one after the other I ended up losing track of it if I remember right the last time I watched it was about Sir Winston Churchill with John Lithgow acting Winnie and I just kept picturing him as Dick Solomon from the comedy series Third Rock from the Sun. O.o 

• Subscriber

Had to re-boot the tv as it froze on the crown (Netflix) and the wife was going ape shit xD she loves anything to do with royalty and especially Princess Diana.

She has just ploughed through episode 3&4 and now on 5, the Falkland Island conflict and that is down my path and I will watch it because of that part of war history

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Series 5 released today.

No doubt will binge it within a week xD.

Not sure how I'll feel about it - most of it is entering into my generation's childhood, so it's more relatable. Seasons 1-4 were historical and there was lots more to 'learn'. It'll now be interesting to see just how much they dramatise it, especially when it comes to portraying John Major, Tony Blair, Queen's 'annus horribilis' and obviously Charles/Diana split as well as the Bashir interview.

Plenty of criticism for it from some of the public figures, but Netflix have basically said 'it's entertainment, do one'. 

I hope they've not gone too far in getting this series out. 

Will see how it goes but already wondering if they should have waited several years before rebooting it to reflect on late 80s/early 90s onwards.

Archived