talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The 'Little Old Bournemouth' Thread

Something I was meaning to set up on Saturday but some injury time drama distracted me.

Given we have threads to slag off the likes of Stoke City and West Ham United this thread feels long overdue. 

Everybody that watches Bournemouth live at football matches will know what cleaver, dirty team they are. I think it every year I watch them. It's just constant off the ball body checks, stomping on feet, shirt tugs, that none of the football pundits ever seem to pick up on. Everything about the medias refusal to criticise them annoys me. Its the refusal of the media to ackowledge the amount of money they've spent, its refusal to critique Eddie Howe, its the refusal to just say what Harry Arter really is. Just look at there first goal on Saturday where King blocked Schlupps run. That was practised on the training ground. God, I'm getting more wound the more I go on.

I'm beginning to hate them.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

agree to an extent. they may play some decent football every now and then but the flipside of that is that they are needlessly dirty team. Harry Arter is one of the main culprits. One of those rat-like pests that oversteps the marks and gets away with late nicks on players, mistimed tackles. 

They're not this fancy little side any more. That tag needs to be disposed of. As Danny said as well, definitely not financially lacking. 

• Administrator

seen this on another forum:

Bournemouth Transfer Business since promotion, just for a little perspective to people who might view them as small or a selling club.

2017/18:
Expenditure: £30m
Income: £0

2016/17:
Expenditure: £36m
Income: £22m (mostly from Matt Ritchie)

2015/2016:
Expenditure: £49.5m
Income: £585k

Total: 
Expenditure: £115.5m
Income: £22.5m

• Subscriber

Stevenage could get promoted to the Premier League and afford to spend that much after a season or two just out of tv money and other sponsorship.

Their big achievement was reaching and staying in the Premier League given their relative stature. They still are relatively "little" as far as the Premier League goes but it makes no difference because the effect that has on their income compared to "bigger" clubs like Newcastle and West Ham is a drop in the ocean relative to the general Premier League income that everyone gets anyway.

10 hours ago, Danny said:

How much did they spend to get out of the Championship?

As much of a fairytale as it was with Fulham and their owner backing them 

Peanuts. 2014/15 = £4.34m, 2013/14 = £3.65m, 2012/13 = £1.41m

Go back to their first season in the Premier League though and this is who they bought...

Benik Afobe £12m (scored 10 goals in 55 appearances)

Tyrone Mings £10m (has managed just 11 games)

Max Gradel £9m (now on loan at Toulouse)

Lewis Grabban £8m (now on loan at Sunderland)

Glenn Murray £4.5m (loaned to and then sold to Brighton after just one season)

Lee Tomlin £3.5m (loaned to and then sold to Bristol City after just one season)

The following season they spent £16m on Jordan Ibe. It's not a surprise they are still around the bottom when none of their players have kicked on enough to be pursued by a top 6 club.

8 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Peanuts. 2014/15 = £4.34m, 2013/14 = £3.65m, 2012/13 = £1.41m

Go back to their first season in the Premier League though and this is who they bought...

Benik Afobe £12m (scored 10 goals in 55 appearances)

Tyrone Mings £10m (has managed just 11 games)

Max Gradel £9m (now on loan at Toulouse)

Lewis Grabban £8m (now on loan at Sunderland)

Glenn Murray £4.5m (loaned to and then sold to Brighton after just one season)

Lee Tomlin £3.5m (loaned to and then sold to Bristol City after just one season)

The following season they spent £16m on Jordan Ibe. It's not a surprise they are still around the bottom when none of their players have kicked on enough to be pursued by a top 6 club.

The season they went up only 3 clubs in the Championship who weren't receiving parachute payments had spent more than them, and then two of them received a transfer embargo. In Bournemouth's second season there were 7 teams who spent less money than them, their first season up they had a larger net spend than 7 other clubs and a larger expenditure than 6.

Factor in that they've finished 16th and 9th and they've hardly been punching above their own weight.

Nothing against them.

Think they've wasted a fair bit of money over the last couple of years and look like they may struggle this season, I think Howe should have moved on when he had the chance, his stock is starting to fall and if they go down he'll be wishing he did move.

Why do you hate Bournmouth so much? 😂 loads of clubs have done the same as then in pursuit of the premier league. 

Personally, I have nothing against them but I wouldn't go as far as saying I give a fuck either. Like most the teams in the Premier League, they leave no impression on me. I quite like some of their players, and I like their kit and stadium. There's more unlikable clubs that have spent shitloads like them.

• Subscriber

They're still shite. Aké is a good defender and Begovic a decent 'keeper but otherwise they're just absolute kick and rush. Nothing wrong with that and as long as I'm defending Allardyce's approach to some games I'm not going to sit here and criticise another team for playing shite football but if they carry on like that they'll just stay up until there are no longer three teams shitter than them in the league and they could easily drop this season. Real lack of technical quality.

Archived