talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Rugby League

football forum

• 2 months later...

When I was in the heartland of footy country I probably watched or half-watched every other game. Fuck it is shit these days, I swear the rules are completely different. Every time I asked my uncle or stepdad they were too drunk and stoned to properly explain how the rules are different. 

@Devil-Dick Willie can you explain how and why there are so many tackle set resets?

14 minutes ago, Spike said:

When I was in the heartland of footy country I probably watched or half-watched every other game. Fuck it is shit these days, I swear the rules are completely different. Every time I asked my uncle or stepdad they were too drunk and stoned to properly explain how the rules are different. 

@Devil-Dick Willie can you explain how and why there are so many tackle set resets?

To encourage more point scoring, and lower the number of full blown penalties. 

There was a period in 2012-15 where there were 15 penalties per team per game, so some of the smaller penalties were downgraded to tackle resets. The huge number of tackle resets now means that more attacks end in 'attacking kicks' (bombs, and a little kicks in behind) rather than boring kicks for distance. 

The whole game is fucked, just watch rugby. 

43 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

To encourage more point scoring, and lower the number of full blown penalties. 

There was a period in 2012-15 where there were 15 penalties per team per game, so some of the smaller penalties were downgraded to tackle resets. The huge number of tackle resets now means that more attacks end in 'attacking kicks' (bombs, and a little kicks in behind) rather than boring kicks for distance. 

The whole game is fucked, just watch rugby. 

Yeah I watched a game of super rugby in Auckland and it seemed to have what NRL should be more famous for, aggressive kicking, risky passing, and huge line breaks.

Still, I cannot abide by the private schoolboy concrete cowboy culture of rugby in Oz… as if it worse than drinking till blackout drunk, running a train on a west Sydney slag and then pissing in one’s own mouth that you find in NRL.

I wish I liked AFL but it is stupid

• 5 months later...

@Devil-Dick Willie I know you don't like the sport much anymore, neither do I really, I might watch one game a year but today I was watching old highlights of the sport from the 80s, 90s, and early 00s today, and I have to say; what the fuck happened? Looking at the crowds, how it was played it was full of SOUL but today it's so shitty to watch. I watched highlights of an Aus v UK match and it was fucking mad, every tackle was high, there was crazy passing, the refs weren't calling anything. and you know every single player was working as a brick layer during the week. It is unbelievable how shit it is to watch in comparison.

Edited by Spike
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

On 12/10/2022 at 23:39, Spike said:

I was watching old highlights of the sport from the 80s, 90s, and early 00s today, and I have to say; what the fuck happened? Looking at the crowds, how it was played it was full of SOUL but today it's so shitty to watch.

That Video was what rugby was about in those days, high tackles and the ref just turned a blind eye, rough & ready stuff, watching the England match today and then the Australian match after and that was nothing like the Video of years gone by.

But that's the way we played it in my army days, smash the fuck out of some officer on the other team, punch ups, you name it, then after the game, it was up the NAAFI and both teams having a good old piss up and laugh with black eyes, broken noses stitches on your face or body, the good old days. :hh: :drunk:

download.png

Edited by CaaC (John)
Spacing correction
  • Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
23 minutes ago, Spike said:

I probably mentioned it before @Danny but the Channel 9 website with a VPN set to Australia is working a dream right now. Cricket and league.

Yeah I use channel 9 a lot tbh, works great. If you’re after highlights the NRL youtube channel is pretty good too

• 3 months later...

I tuned in yesterday morning to the grand final and saw the Broncos running away with it, thought I’m on holiday I’m not gunna sit in doors to watch them run away with it.

Saw on my phone this morning that the Panthers made a come back and that Clearly won it for them. For fuck sake xD

• 4 months later...

That Wigan try that wasn’t overturned when there was an angle that clearly showed it not getting put down followed by the ‘no try’ Panther’s try that looked pretty clear to me from a couple of the angles is a bit of a joke from the video ref. 

What a game that was. Wigan had so much fight, looked like they were going to give it away for a while but they forced a couple of big tackles deep down field and began to win and ultimately balance out the physical battle that Penrith were winning.

The tries are definitely a talking point and will probably be more of one down under, but I don’t think anything conclusive came either way. There was one angle that made it look like the ball was far away but then another made it seem like he got it grounded. Difficult to be precise with the camera angles, definitely an issue we’ve seen in football too.

That disallowed try was class from Wigan, shame they ran ahead of the kick as that was a real highlight moment.