talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bizarre Football Opinions

football forum

Just now, Spike said:

How insular is that though? There are Aussie Rules football clubs that sell out 70,000 per match but even parts of Australia don't know they exist.

It's not only that, you also have to take everything else into account. Not to mention we also are one of the top 10 most successful teams in the West too. And it's not like that we are unknown apart from South America, we are pretty known in Europe, Central and North America too, hell i'd even say Japan. It's only Africa and Asia where we aren't as known, as it because like you said we don't do any marketing or tours over there like top European clubs do.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The euro-centrism in this thread hurts. I've met a couple gloryhunters who don't know any player or any other club in South America and are barely familiar with the bottom half of the premier league when I was in Canada and even they've heard of River and Boca.

8 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

The euro-centrism in this thread hurts. I've met a couple gloryhunters who don't know any player or any other club in South America and are barely familiar with the bottom half of the premier league when I was in Canada and even they've heard of River and Boca.

And I've met the same people that don't know about River and Boca. Just because you have an anecdote that proves your point doesn't mean it's the rule.

11 minutes ago, Berserker said:

It's not only that, you also have to take everything else into account. Not to mention we also are one of the top 10 most successful teams in the West too. And it's not like that we are unknown apart from South America, we are pretty known in Europe, Central and North America too, hell i'd even say Japan. It's only Africa and Asia where we aren't as known, as it because like you said we don't do any marketing or tours over there like top European clubs do.

You really overestimate how much the regular person knows of geography.

9 minutes ago, Spike said:

And I've met the same people that don't know about River and Boca. Just because you have an anecdote that proves your point doesn't mean it's the rule.

You're only looking at ONE point that we're making. We've made several and you're too stubborn to see the impact River has had in world football even in this century. Yes, South American football has had a massive decline in recent times, but again it was never well marketed. Its not like Europeans followed it back when it was good. If they didn't then, why would they now? Also consider the technology in that era compared to now. I could easily say that because of that, more people know of River now then back in the 70's and 80's for example.

River Plate has been a world champion, have millions of fans across South America, not just Argentina. As Berserker stated, they've gone on tours to lots of places to help the marketing of the club and have had a huge impact on starting players careers. Berserker gave you a list of that in recent times. As I said, Alexis Sanchez, and Javier Mascherano have also stopped at the club.

If they aren't relevant now, they werent relevant then. Just a piece of advice, I wouldn't touch topics you don't know about. I normally don't criticize views or opinions but what you're saying shows that you don't have a clue on the football over here. There are plenty of clubs that are big at world football level but just because they aren't noticed by the eastern world, doesn't make them irrelavent.

10 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

You're only looking at ONE point that we're making. We've made several and you're too stubborn to see the impact River has had in world football even in this century. Yes, South American football has had a massive decline in recent times, but again it was never well marketed. Its not like Europeans followed it back when it was good. If they didn't then, why would they now? Also consider the technology in that era compared to now. I could easily say that because of that, more people know of River now then back in the 70's and 80's for example.

River Plate has been a world champion, have millions of fans across South America, not just Argentina. As Berserker stated, they've gone on tours to lots of places to help the marketing of the club and have had a huge impact on starting players careers. Berserker gave you a list of that in recent times. As I said, Alexis Sanchez, and Javier Mascherano have also stopped at the club.

If they aren't relevant now, they werent relevant then. Just a piece of advice, I wouldn't touch topics you don't know about. I normally don't criticize views or opinions but what you're saying shows that you don't have a clue on the football over here. There are plenty of clubs that are big at world football level but just because they aren't noticed by the eastern world, doesn't make them irrelavent.

Holy fucking shit, that was never my fucking argument. I'm only going to address the one fucking point you made that is relevant to my original post. It like you read my post and get all worked up about things I never said

One of the biggest clubs in South-America (if not the biggest) but irrelevant when it comes to the rest of the world as South-American football has severely lagged behind in marketing in the last twenty years.

My whole fucking argument was the River Plate aren't that as famous as top European clubs worldwide outside of the bubble south-america and that makes them irrelevant (READ NOT SMALL) on a global popularity scale. It doesn't MATTER how much they've won, or how many great players they've had BECAUSE that is A DIFFERENT argument.

I respect your opinion if you don't think they are one of the biggest clubs in world football. To say they are irrelavent for world football though is a lack of knowledge on the football over here.

With that I sign out.

1 minute ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I respect your opinion if you don't think they are one of the biggest clubs in world football. To say they are irrelavent for world football though is a lack of knowledge on the football over here.

With that I sign out.

Again it is like you don't understand English.

26 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

It's not just this thread that's euro-centric, mate, it's the world of football. All around the world people pay far more attention to European leagues than South American and the anecdote about your Canadian friends sort of proves the point. Unfortunately, while they're definitely a big club, River Plate (and others) are severely limited on the world stage for that reason.

• Subscriber
55 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

The euro-centricism is a global thing, and that's precisely the point.

I can see where you're coming from but if Bournemouth and Boca Juniors both went in for a player with no connection to either club, non European or South American, I'd back Bournemouth to get the player. That's how it is now.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Next thing will be you marrying a Chinese woman and supporting Pakistan on cricket.

fuck off mate. she won't be Chinese.

2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Think they're the same person tbh.

think we need to do those IP checks again?

15 hours ago, Stan said:

best thing I know about River Plate is that Ariel Ortega once played for them and they play in the one of the biggest South American derbies against Boca Juniors. 

It's not one of the biggest South American derbies mate.

It's the BIGGEST local derby in the whole world bar none!  Nothing else compares and nothing else ever will.  It doesn't matter what the state of football is in some places in Latin America these days or not.  That's irrelevant...  The classification of everything a clash between two particular clubs is epitomised by those two meeting at either venue El Monumental or La Bombonera.

• Subscriber

Sutton is a clown.

Paul Merson. I know more about football than he does. I don't care what anyone says.

I know that video of Merson and Phil Thompson is funny in a way but it's also quite an eye-opener. Sums up how clueless and ignorant a lot of these supposed 'experts' are.

Come on, everyone's had a golden nugget or two in their time. When were you dead set on an opinion and looking back you'd wish your mother had drowned you at birth?

I once though Freddy Sears was going to be "the next big thing" xD

I also once thought Ireland were man for man better than England at Euro 2012...the boys in Green went onto lose every game against Spain, Italy and Croatia (group of death still). whilst England were KO'd on penalties by Italy in the first KO round.

Archived