talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Champions League Quarter Final Draw

football forum

The draw is on Friday.

But let me just leave this here....

Juventus do not want to play Leicester in the quarter-finals of the Champions League, says the Italian team's keeper and captain Gianluigi Buffon.

The Italian champions beat Porto to reach the last eight, while the Foxes also progressed by overcoming Sevilla.

The Italy captain, 39, said: "Who do I prefer not to play? Leicester.

"They are a dangerous and passionate team who can cause trouble for opponents who take the initiative. We would have everything to lose."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39274973

:rofl:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two outcomes... What I reckon UEFA will do first and if not... Then THE BOMB!

Leicester City v Real Madrid

Bayern Munich v FC Barcelona

AS Monaco v Juventus

Atlético Madrid v Borussia Dortmund

or...

FC Barcelona v Real Madrid

Bayern Munich v Juventus

Atlético Madrid v AS Monaco

Borussia Dortmund v Leicester City

All great teams. Exciting matchups to be had. Should be a corker of a QF. Looking forward to those "classic European nights", "the magic of European nights" :-)

I love La Liga and league football, but there's something about the sheer majesty and prestige of the Champions League that's hard to beat. 

Personally, I was hoping for Man City to make it through (given that it was Guardiola who helped usher in the most poetically beautiful brand of football the world has ever seen: have a soft spot for the Guardiola Era) but Monaco is the real deal. If the squad can stay intact and improve, they'll be world beaters in a few years.

Matchups I'd love to see? I do like epic matchups so I wouldn't mind a battle royale vs the likes of Bayern or Real Madrid. Dortmund would be a real shoot-out, as would Monaco.

This season's Monaco really has me intrigued. How would Barca fare against their firepower when our defense is shaky at best. 

Don't think Leicester's quite ready for MSN. That said, teams disrespect English teams at their peril.

Don't really want Juve: have replayed the 2015 Champions League Final SO MANY times :-) Want to see new matchups :)

The one team I don't want is Atletico. They knocked us out in 2014 and 2016. Granted, they aren't as formidable as in years past, but why take a chance? :)

Will this finally be the year UEFA gives us all what we really want: An El Clasico Final in Cardiff? :) Messi and co trying to stop Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid from making history and repeating as Champions of Europe? RM trying to prevent Barca from making history and winning the Treble Treble? Cue Bowie's "Rebel Rebel" here :-)

If that isn't THE ideal Final scenario, I don't know what is! :O)

Here be (Catalan) Dragons indeed!

9 minutes ago, Luis Suarez said:

Will this finally be the year UEFA gives us all what we really want: An El Clasico Final in Cardiff? :) Messi and co trying to stop Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid from making history and repeating as Champions of Europe? RM trying to prevent Barca from making history and winning the Treble Treble? Cue Bowie's "Rebel Rebel" here :-)

If that isn't THE ideal Final scenario, I don't know what is! :O)

Here be (Catalan) Dragons indeed!

Speak for yourself, I for one would want to vomit if a so called "El Classico" came true as I have a distaste for the massive wank-in that would inevitably occur if this final came off.

• Administrator
10 hours ago, True Bender said:

*(((UEFA))) Champions League "draw"

If Real Madrid "draws" Leicester, I'll terminate my Sky contract.

i'm sure Sky will be absolutely devastated

• Subscriber

Lets pick the bones out of this.

Atletico Madrid - This may surprise people but yesterday I was actually picking these as the team I wanted. My reasons are... they're below a team in the table we've just knocked out, and you've got to question if they're really all that this year, I think Madrid would be a great trip which we'd take probably 10,000+ to and I've wanted to go to their ground for a while before it closes. Although seeing the likes of Balon and CRS saying avoid these above all concerns me as they watch more of them than I do. We do have a score to settle with these though. We've played in Europe three times prior to this season and these knocked us out on two of those occasions - in extremely suspicious circumstances in 1997.

AS Monaco - I wanted to avoid these in the groups as I thought for a pot 4 side they're a bit good. I think this would be our best chance of going through, for all I rate and respect them a lot, they do have defensive frailties and they wouldn't have the same joy going forward against us as they did Man City. Would be a very expensive trip though and the allocation is garbage.

Barcelona - Avoid. I actually do think we'd manage a goal against them in both legs on the counter but they've got that bit too much class in the final third to unlock us. I've been there as well so in terms of a trip, while I know it's good, I'd rather go somewhere new.

Bayern Munich - This would be an amazing trip but I think beating these is beyond us. They're a class above. But I stress, the trip side of it means a lot to me, and I'd not be as sad to go out to these as say, Monaco.

Borussia Dortmund - I think taking everything into account, this is the one I want the most. The place looks like a footballing paradise, the games would be very entertaining and it's probably one of our better chances of getting through.

Juventus - I want to avoid these. I think they're a dark horse to win the whole thing and the trip doesn't strike me as being as appealing as the others. Would be interesting though, a battle of Italy's two most hated clubs :ph34r:

Real Madrid - The same trip as Atletico so mega numbers would be taken, but the catch is I think we've got nowhere near as much chance of winning it. What an occasion this would be though, playing Real Madrid competitively is a hilarious thought for us.

So, in this order:

1. Borussia Dortmund
2. Atletico Madrid
3. Bayern Munich
4. Real Madrid
5. AS Monaco
6. Juventus
7. Barcelona

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Lets pick the bones out of this.

Atletico Madrid - This may surprise people but yesterday I was actually picking these as the team I wanted. My reasons are... they're below a team in the table we've just knocked out, and you've got to question if they're really all that this year, I think Madrid would be a great trip which we'd take probably 10,000+ to and I've wanted to go to their ground for a while before it closes. Although seeing the likes of Balon and CRS saying avoid these above all concerns me as they watch more of them than I do. We do have a score to settle with these though. We've played in Europe three times prior to this season and these knocked us out on two of those occasions - in extremely suspicious circumstances in 1997.

AS Monaco - I wanted to avoid these in the groups as I thought for a pot 4 side they're a bit good. I think this would be our best chance of going through, for all I rate and respect them a lot, they do have defensive frailties and they wouldn't have the same joy going forward against us as they did Man City. Would be a very expensive trip though and the allocation is garbage.

Barcelona - Avoid. I actually do think we'd manage a goal against them in both legs on the counter but they've got that bit too much class in the final third to unlock us. I've been there as well so in terms of a trip, while I know it's good, I'd rather go somewhere new.

Bayern Munich - This would be an amazing trip but I think beating these is beyond us. They're a class above. But I stress, the trip side of it means a lot to me, and I'd not be as sad to go out to these as say, Monaco.

Borussia Dortmund - I think taking everything into account, this is the one I want the most. The place looks like a footballing paradise, the games would be very entertaining and it's probably one of our better chances of getting through.

Juventus - I want to avoid these. I think they're a dark horse to win the whole thing and the trip doesn't strike me as being as appealing as the others. Would be interesting though, a battle of Italy's two most hated clubs :ph34r:

Real Madrid - The same trip as Atletico so mega numbers would be taken, but the catch is I think we've got nowhere near as much chance of winning it. What an occasion this would be though, playing Real Madrid competitively is a hilarious thought for us.

So, in this order:

1. Borussia Dortmund
2. Atletico Madrid
3. Bayern Munich
4. Real Madrid
5. AS Monaco
6. Juventus
7. Barcelona

Incredible that Atlético Madrid still get underestimated.

I get why you've said that but judging a team on their league placing is crazy especially when you're talking Atlético Madrid and Diego Simeone.  His team is designed to handle intensity and intensity is what cup football provides.  He would and does even prefer to play at home first because he adores building up morale for his team who perform better the bigger the battle.  They (he) won't underestimate Leicester either which is an even bigger point as to why they're not good to draw.

Put it this way...  Of all the teams Barça DON'T want, it's Atlético Madrid...  If Barça get them, as I've said on the other two occasions, they're OUT!

Infact only Juve can eliminate Atleti in the next round except for Real Madrid and Real can only do it because they seem to have some sort of voodoo on them in this tournament.  Should've beaten them in the two finals and somehow lost.  The only time Real were convincing against them was when they didn't meet them in the final a few years back.

Monaco is an iffy tie but that's the one I'd want even though it seems right now it's very difficult.  But then again there aren't any easy ties available if you really think about it.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Incredible that Atlético Madrid still get underestimated.

I get why you've said that but judging a team on their league placing is crazy especially when you're talking Atlético Madrid and Diego Simeone.  His team is designed to handle intensity and intensity is what cup football provides.  He would and does even prefer to play at home first because he adores building up morale for his team who perform better the bigger the battle.  They (he) won't underestimate Leicester either which is an even bigger point as to why they're not good to draw.

Put it this way...  Of all the teams Barça DON'T want, it's Atlético Madrid...  If Barça get them, as I've said on the other two occasions, they're OUT!

Infact only Juve can eliminate Atleti in the next round except for Real Madrid and Real can only do it because they seem to have some sort of voodoo on them in this tournament.  Should've beaten them in the two finals and somehow lost.  The only time Real were convincing against them was when they didn't meet them in the final a few years back.

Monaco is an iffy tie but that's the one I'd want even though it seems right now it's very difficult.  But then again there aren't any easy ties available if you really think about it.

Comparing us to Barcelona is silly. We couldn't be more different a side to them. We probably play more like Atletico than anyone else left in it, ironically.

I'm not saying we'd turn Atletico over by any means but I think we wouldn't certainly be out either. Granted they're a very good tournament side.

We pose a different kind of game to anyone. I feel like Leicester are firmly in their rhythm again and I don't think anyone there will batter us. The majority I think would have enough to beat us, but I say with pride I don't think even Bayern would thump us like they did Arsenal.

I didn't come into the Champions League quarter final expecting an easy tie anyway. I want to get as far as possible because I quite simply love the occasion. They're the best away days of my life. But I won't moan at getting a hard game. It's the Champions League. It's supposed to be the toughest of the toughest.

This is UEFA's latest club coefficient table

1. Juventus (ITA) 23.000 / 25.450 .

2. Atlético de Madrid (ESP) 22.000 / 25.228 .

3. Real Madrid (ESP) 22.000 / 25.228 .

4. Barcelona (ESP) 21.000 / 24.228 .

5. Bayern Múnich (ALE) 21.000 / 23.714 .

6. Borussia Dortmund (ALE) 21.000 / 23.714 .

7. Leicester City (ING) 20.000 / 22.557 .

8. París Saint-Germain (FRA) 20.000 / 22.483 .

9. Sevilla (ESP) 19.000 / 22.228 

10. Arsenal (ING) 19.000 / 21.557 

11. Mónaco (FRA) 19.000 / 21.483

6 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

This is UEFA's latest club coefficient table for clubs.

Oh how I wish weird world could see this xD

football forum
7 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Oh how I wish weird world could see this xD

Not really much to laugh at when you consider the population of Leicester compared to some areas of Scotland :ph34r:.

7 hours ago, SirBalon said:

This is UEFA's latest club coefficient table

You need to format it like this:

2. Real Madrid (ESP) 22.000 / 25.228 .

5. Borussia Dortmund (ALE) 21.000 / 23.714 .

7. París Saint-Germain (FRA) 20.000 / 22.483 .

9. Arsenal (ING) 19.000 / 21.557 

9. Mónaco (FRA) 19.000 / 21.483

Now I can be delusional and claim Dortmund are top 5 and you can claim Arsenal are 9th.

1 hour ago, True Bender said:

You need to format it like this:

2. Real Madrid (ESP) 22.000 / 25.228 .

5. Borussia Dortmund (ALE) 21.000 / 23.714 .

7. París Saint-Germain (FRA) 20.000 / 22.483 .

9. Arsenal (ING) 19.000 / 21.557 

9. Mónaco (FRA) 19.000 / 21.483

Now I can be delusional and claim Dortmund are top 5 and you can claim Arsenal are 9th.

I just copied and pasted mate...  They're just the coefficients for the teams in the Campions League this season and not the total outlook club by club.

Archived