talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Celtic Achieve Record Points In A Season (106pts)

football forum

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Shame that no matter what points tally they hit it'll not be considered an achievement. 

How did they do in Europe this season?

They lost to a semi professional RAF team in Gibraltar.

But this will be remembered in terms of judging Brendan Rodgers I think. It puts him on a level above. Great start.

8 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

They lost to a semi professional RAF team in Gibraltar.

But this will be remembered in terms of judging Brendan Rodgers I think. It puts him on a level above. Great start.

They still got through though.

The CL draw was a bit brutal to them if I remember correctly.

Celtic do deserve a lot of credit for maintaining this focus and relentless will well after mathematically securing the league title, and despite also having the Scottish Cup and domestic treble bid to focus on. 

I think that Martin O'Neill's Celtic team looked on track to break their 2001-2002 points total just 2 years later in 2003-2004 and to finish the season unbeaten, but they basically lost steam and their focus during the closing rounds. They had a 100% record against Rangers in league and cup matches that season. With 6 games (4 at home) to go they had 90 points and 0 defeats, but then they lost 2 out of their next 3 matches and only won 1 out of their next 5. 

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Celtic just need a point away against Hearts in their 12:30 kick off today

they're at home. they'll break the record easy. 

Hearts have had a lot of off-field problems and arguments, and are guaranteed to finished 5th regardless of today's result. Celtic could inflict some pain today. 

If they win and finish with 106 points, I think that would also be a record total across any top flight in Europe. The record is currently 105 points accumlated by Barry Town in the Welsh League in 1996/1997 (they finished with 104 points the next season). 

If they win by a 2 goal margin, they will also break both the records for the most goals scored (105) and the best goal difference (80) in a Scottish league season, both of which were set by O'Neill's Celtic team in 2003-2004. 

A win would give them a record 34 victories in a Scottish league season (they currently share the record of 33 victories with O'Neill's 2001-2002 Celtic team), and just a draw would give them the first unbeaten Scottish league season since Rangers and 1899. 

If Aberdeen slip up away to Partick Thistle and Celtic win, they will also finish with the biggest ever title-winning margin in a European top flight league, breaking PSG's record of 31 points from last year.

That last one is the least likely to happen, but certainly a lot of records should tumble at Parkhead today. 

Celtic’s milestones:

106 points – a record in any European top flight.

34 victories – definitely a Scottish record and possibly a record in any European top flight as well?

0 defeats – the first unbeaten Scottish league season for 118 years since Rangers in 1899.

106 goals scored – a Scottish record

+81 goal difference – a Scottish record

30 point title winning margin – a Scottish record

1 hour ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Without wanting to rain on the record parade 3 points for a win didn't come in until the 80s and Scottish football used to be 2 games less a season.

:ph34r::ph34r:

I think that from the '2 point for a win' era, if you adjust the points totals accordingly, the only team that could have matched Celtic's total from this season was Rangers in 1992-1993, who would have finished with 106 points if it had been 3 for a win. But that was during a 44 game league season. 

During the years when there was only a 36 game league season, again if you normalise all totals for a 3 points for a win, no-one got within 6 points of Celtic's total from this season, or close to it at all. Not even the dominant Rangers team during the final ever 36 game season in 1999/2000. 

Then the standard of Scottish football was significantly stronger in some of those previous eras. And of course had there been 3 points for a win instead of 2, the dominant teams from those years would have been more determined to go for victories and less content with draws. A lot of champions from those years did end up drawing a lot of games. 

Brilliant season so far. 

And on the topic of Europe - we beat Beer Sheva in the playoff, who caused Southampton and Inter problems in the Europa League. Then the draw produced pretty much the most insanely tough group possible - Barca, City (who were still in insane form), and Gladbach. Barca: two skelpings. City: two very credible draws, playing aggressive football and evidently disturbing them in a way no English side had managed up to that point. Gladbach: a shite performance at home and a deserved loss, but then extremely unlucky to not beat them away, and that was the difference between finishing last and getting Europa. 

If you look at the upturn in form in players like Brown, Lustig, Armstrong, Roberts and Forrest, its pretty clear what a difference a quality coach can make. Not saying the Brodge is a world-class tactician or anything, but he can improve players. Thats what happens when you replace a coach who is now at Valerenga with one who just got sacked by Liverpool. 

7 hours ago, ...Dan said:

Kolo Toure is an invincible again.

Hard not to be when you are in a league that's weaker than MLS, the English League, etc...

Would Celtic be a top 6 team in england?

1 minute ago, Dickie said:

You're joking if you think any team outside celtic could beat half of MLS fam.

Its an impossible comparison.

In any case I'll pass on the opinion of someone who claimed "its hard not to" achieve something that's not been achieved in more than a century. 

4 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Its an impossible comparison.

In any case I'll pass on the opinion of someone who claimed "its hard not to" achieve something that's not been achieved in more than a century. 

See the funny thing is that I never said it's hard not to achieve what they achieved, you just put words in my mouth. I said it's hard not to be invincible for Kolo Toure, who has always been a decent defender and more so in his prime, but plug him into the best team in a weak league of course he's gonna be great.

1 minute ago, Dickie said:

See the funny thing is that I never said it's hard not to achieve what they achieved, you just put words in my mouth. I said it's hard not to be invincible for Kolo Toure, who has always been a decent defender and more so in his prime, but plug him into the best team in a weak league of course he's gonna be great.

My friend, read Dan's post. "He's an invincible again". You quoted it.

Now, you see, that was a reference to how Kolo Toure was part of that Arsenal team that went a whole league season without losing - earning the nickname "The Invincibles". This Celtic team also just went a season without losing, meaning you could call them "Invincibles" - just like that Arsenal team, the one Kolo Toure was also in. 

So you see, Dan was referring to Kolo Toure going another league season, without his team losing a match. Thus, he has become an "Invincible" - part of an unbeaten team - for the 2nd time.

You said it was "hard not to" do so. 

It's not been done in Scotland since the 19th century. 

Just now, Inverted said:

My friend, read Dan's post. "He's an invincible again". You quoted it.

Now, you see, that was a reference to how Kolo Toure was part of that Arsenal team that went a whole league season without losing - earning the nickname "The Invincibles". This Celtic team also just went a season without losing, meaning you could call them "Invincibles" - just like that Arsenal team, the one Kolo Toure was also in. 

So you see, Dan was referring to Kolo Toure going another league season, without his team losing a match. Thus, he has become an "Invincible" - part of an unbeaten team - for the 2nd time.

You said it was "hard not to" do so. 

It's not been done in Scotland since the 19th century. 

OHHHHHHHHHH OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OH well now I'm the prick. I misread that I thought it was just stating he was invincible again like he used to be, not "an invincible" like the arsenal team.

But again never said anything about Celtic's achievement being nothing I'm just stating about Kolo Toure. 

Archived