talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

23rd/28th/29th March - World Cup Qualifiers (South American)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have Venezuela away and Uruguay at home these upcoming games. I would love to get 6 points and its very possible the way we're currently playing, but I realistically see 4 points max.  

Our players are coming into form. Christian Cueva, Miguel Trauco and Paolo Guerrero all coming in with excellent form for their clubs, which is good to see.

Our eyes are on the Argentina - Chile game. I do personally believe Argentina will qualify despite their current mess but they do have some tough games coming up. I much prefer Chile to miss out. Both seem unlikely though. I think Colombia will be the one not going.

Just now, Cicero said:

If Zabaleta, Otamendi, Di Maria, Biglia, Rojo all continue to play, Argentina will be doomed. 

Mercado is better than Zabaleta in my opinion. I agree on the others though from what I've seen. Our CB Alberto Rodriguez has been much better than Otamendi.

Not sure if they will be "DOOMED" but they will struggle for sure.

After Chile, they go away to La Paz which and then go to Montevideo, a place that Uruguay has made a fortress. Ending in Quito which is possibly the hardest away ground in South America. I can't see Argentina not qualify though. If they beat Chile they'll probably be fine.

Luis Advincula got injured in his last game, so I'd expect to line up like this

Gallese

Trauco - Ramos - Rodriguez - Corzo

Tapia - Yotun

Flores - Cueva - Carillo

Guerrero

The most obvious lineup for me. Tapia has been getting a lack of game time at Feyenoord. Flores also hasn't played too much but they are still the best options I feel. Cueva, Trauco and Guerrero our 3 best where as Carillo can do well running at the backline especially seeing that those Venezuelan full backs aren't very good.

Argentina's lineup vs Chile apparently

Another mess of a lineup for Bauza. I don't get why they insist with 2 defensive minded midfielders. Also who's idea is it to put Aguero in CAM? Definitely not Bauza's. That's been a problem for a long time and its never ever worked. They almost got the fullbacks right but then there is Mas who's been torn apart quite a few times already although Mercado is definitely better than Zabaleta.

Can't believe that.

Why would Aguero, (Who is utter shit btw) be ahead of Dybala when both Higuain and Dybala have a perfect link with one another established at Juve? 

Di Maria and Biglia have no right to be in the team. Romero needs to step down as pass the torch to Rulli already. And Rojo -Otamendi CB pairing is a disaster waiting to happen. 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Can't believe that.

Why would Aguero, (Who is utter shit btw) be ahead of Dybala when both Higuain and Dybala have a perfect link with one another established at Juve? 

Di Maria and Biglia have no right to be in the team. Romero needs to step down as pass the torch to Rulli already. And Rojo -Otamendi CB pairing is a disaster waiting to happen. 

Rulli is better than Romero, but the one who deserves the keeper spot the most is Franco Armani. By a mile the best Argentinian keeper.

I agree on everything else.

1 minute ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Rulli is better than Romero, but the one who deserves the keeper spot the most is Franco Armani. By a mile the best Argentinian keeper.

I agree on everything else.

Only reason I've grown an interest in Argentina the past few years is that my fiance is from reconquista, and her mother was childhood friends with Batistuta. Players that have done fuck all and provide no balance should not be in the team. Simple. Rulli is the future and needs to be molded in already. 

Higuain

Dybala

Gaitan------------------------------Messi

Fernandez------Mascherano

Mas-------Mori----Garay------------Mercado

Rulli

Just now, Cicero said:

Only reason I've grown an interest in Argentina the past few years is that my fiance is from reconquista, and her mother was childhood friends with Batistuta. Players that have done fuck all and provide no balance should not be in the team. Simple. Rulli is the future and needs to be molded in already. 

Higuain

Dybala

Gaitan------------------------------Messi

Fernandez------Mascherano

Mas-------Mori----Garay------------Mercado

Rulli

You could be right about Rulli needing to be put in the team if he's the future. I've criticized Uruguay for having a really nice upcoming generation but continuing to be very stagnant and not giving them a chance. However I do believe Franco Armani should be in the team somewhere as his efforts for Atletico Nacional in the Libertadores warrants it. I don't have a clue what is really the issue in the dressing room with Argentina so I can't confirm anything but there are a ton of rumours that Messi and Mascherano wants his friends called up and given the call ups are always the same, its believable but again I cannot confirm this as I don't have a clue whats going on in that dressing room.

Armani was a class goalkeeper for a long time. He's deserved the call up for a while but just because he plays in Colombia he won't get it, which is also outrageous considering Colombia have had 2 continental champions in the last 2 years.

Just had a discussion with someone about this, but its really a surprise that Venezuela are bottom with the team they have. They had political issues at the start of these qualifiers and by the time Dudamel was appointed, they were basically eliminated and the upcoming games were tough. Salomon Rondon, Alejandro Guerra, Adalberto Peñaranda and Josef Martinez are all quality players and good enough to damage any opposition defence in South America. However what they lack is the defence as Vizcarrondo really isn't very good. Tuñez and Rosales aren't bad but they aren't anything special. Dani Hernandez is an awful keeper. Some of these players weren't even called up this time as they have brought up the U20 players who are very talented in an effort to rebuild. Yefferson Soteldo and Wuilker Fariñez in particular look quality. 

I'm not going to be bold and say it will happen but Venezuela have a bright future and should qualify for their first World Cup within the next 20 years. 

Just saw something, how on earth are Uruguay 3.25 to win? Yes, Brazil are brilliant and they are on a 6 game winning run for a reason but Gabriel Jesus won't be around for this one and Uruguay have smashed nearly every team that's stepped foot in the centenario. 

Uruguay 3-0 Colombia

Uruguay 3-0 Chile

Uruguay 1-0 Peru

Uruguay 4-0 Paraguay

Uruguay 3-0 Venezuela

Uruguay 2-1 Ecuador

Luis Suarez is missing for this one but Uruguay beat Chile and Colombia 3-0 without him. I personally think it will end in a draw. I'd say 2-2 or 1-1. It can definitely go either way but the most reasonable result all things considered would be a draw and that's what I'm predicting. I just thought it was interesting to bring up those odds.

7 minutes ago, Romesh said:

so you brought up the odds yet don't think they'll win anyway? :43_slight_frown:

I'm saying that I think there is value in those odds. I think it will be a draw personally but when Uruguay have smashed almost every team at the centenario with and without Suarez, them being the underdogs even against Brazil seems like it can be worth a go. Brazil have had striker issues for a while, until they found Gabriel Jesus last year and he's been scoring for them. It will be interesting to see how they'll do without him. Uruguay on the other hand have proven themselves without Suarez in these qualifiers.

Have just asked a few Bolivians why Chumacero and Escobar weren't called up. I'm surely missing something here though. No clue on Escobar but I knew that Chumacero wasn't always getting called up.

Other than Uruguay I'd have to agree. Both players are coming into the team on huge form.

Trauco isn't an attacker but he's the best left back at South American club level and also coming on form. 

EDIT: I didn't see his point but he's saying that coming into this next game we have the best duo, and I forgot Suarez was suspended. In that case then he may be right. I'll need to think about it though.

Lineups tomorrow. I got ours spot on.

Weird to see Guerra not start for Venezuela but its a good thing for us that he's not.

I have no idea what's going on with the Bolivian national team at the moment. I thought the strike was long done. Chumacero, Escobar, Jhasmani Campos, and Duk missing. Martins and Arce is a good forward line for their standards and Raldes has always been in the side but they're going through some tough times. Lampe is a good keeper for them I'd say.

Still think Colombia will beat them narrowly.

9 hours ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Lineups tomorrow. I got ours spot on.

Weird to see Guerra not start for Venezuela but its a good thing for us that he's not.

Seeing that starting lineup made me realize that Peru has a nice team. Cueva is one of the best players in South America, no doubt about that. 

43 minutes ago, El_Loco said:

Seeing that starting lineup made me realize that Peru has a nice team. Cueva is one of the best players in South America, no doubt about that. 

I agree. Cueva is a top player, one of if not the best player at South American club level. Guerrero is also up there. Miguel Trauco has recently signed for a club in a bigger league but his technical ability is incredible.

This for me is the best Peru team in 20 years. We've had better teams on paper but none were as professional as this.

Muriel so far is finally looking like the player he is at Sampdoria in a Colombia shirt. Its only been 15 minutes but its been a solid start from him.

Jesus. Bolivia haven't won away from home in 53 matches, fail to win today and they break Luxembourg's record. They've been a shit away team for a long time but I didn't think it was this bad.

I'm guessing this counts friendlies as well.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived