talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tue 14th March - Leicester City (3) 2-0 (2) Sevilla

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Nah, it's not that complicated.  It's modern football on most stakes if not all...

Real Madrid are carried forward by UEFA because it's imperative for the brand being the most legendary club historically and where La Liga is in question, they're in the building process (which is going very well indeed) of marketing and selling the product so as to become like the Premier League which means that a club like Real Madrid must win more than one league title in a decade (that's ten years).

We need the meerkats for this one. ;)

La Liga is now a joke though, and hilarious which is why I didn't even bother commenting in last weekend's results.

So you believe UEFA deliberately fixes the draw so Real Madrid can progress? Just them? Similar claims were made by a Jose Mourinho about Barcelona not long ago, and with such blatant dodgy decisions going for them in the last game, are Barcelona not regarded in the same category as Real Madrid now?

• The title was changed to Tue 14th March - Leicester City (3) 2-0 (2) Sevilla
  • Administrator

I'm still amazed at the whole of last night :x 

Took the above video before the match as the anticipation for the match to start reached it's climax

I knew Leicester would go through and Sevilla only have themselves to blame for not finishing them off in the first leg, after battering them(it should have been 4/5-1) and also for conceding such a weak goal at home.

Fair play to Leicester, they are doing it again! I wouldn't be surprised if they went on and reached the final at this rate xD. It also shows that getting rid of Ranieri was the right choice at the right moment. Their players have behaved pathetically, although we don't know what truly goes on behind the scenes.

9 hours ago, True Blue said:

So a team third in the Spanish league gets pissed on against a team that is in the bottom half of the Premiership

Premiership > La Liga

Didn't they beat 3rd place in England by a greater score just a week ago?

Both leagues have been quite shite this year in terms of the "big teams" if you ask me, although atleast there is a race on in the Spanish league and it still has some traditional value left, for this I'd go for that automatically.

20 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

If it wasn't before, surely now the sacking of Ranieri has been justified? 

I'd personally say it was justified anyway mate. The fact is, football is a results game and if you aren't getting results then you have to go. It's harsh but that's just how it is. Also getting sacked as a football manager means you get a nice payout, so you can't grumble as you aren't going to be in a position where you have to visit the job centre the next day or start phoning up agencies out of desperation.

• Subscriber

I'm not going to pretend Vardy's a saint and never will. I do think it's sad that the game has come to that but it's swings and roundabouts, especially at this level.

The referee didn't get it wrong either. I think a booking for both was spot on. More fool Nasri.

Even now I'm struggling to even explain how mad last night was. I genuinely think it ranks as my favourite game of all time. Just the occasion was a dream to me. Even more as someone who has developed a real admiration for the way Sevilla go about things - for it to be us, this club I've grown up watching regularly lose to Burnley, Preston, Watford etc... who have ended up being the ones to end their run, from 2-0 down, is amazing.

The game had everything in the middle and the perfect ending. I was on the verge of tears at full-time. I can't believe we've done it.

Thank you to everyone who has been at Leicester in the last few years. It's all paying off in ways I never thought I would ever see.

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Dan said:

That atmosphere as well... honestly, if the TV hasn't done that justice I will be livid. I've never heard the place like it.

I was very disappointed with BT's coverage pre-match when I watched it back this morning. I thought more would be made of the flag display and the sound especially the roar after the Champions League anthem which always sends shivers down my spine, raises the hairs on the back of my neck. They showed the tifo going up the Kop which looked spectacular too...

IMG_3783.JPG

Shakespeare with a dog on a leash. Alluding to a Shakespeare quote 'Let Slip The Dogs of War'. Couldn't have been more apt and the group that organise the displays like this, Union FS, have been sensational. Not only with these displays but ramping up the atmosphere around the ground as well. 

And this was the view from Michael Regan, who's a professional photographer and Leicester fan. Sat on the other side of the ground and encapsulates, for me, the raucousness and fierce, exciting atmosphere just in one picture...

C66XUhBWoAU2q5B.jpg

• Administrator
Just now, The Rebel CRS said:

Who do you Leicester fans want in the next round?

right now I'd take anyone. We've surpassed expectations and are the biggest underdogs I can remember the Champions League ever having at this stage.

I'd probably take Dortmund or Monaco. Obviously both are far better than us but not as better as Barca, Bayern or Real. I feel we'd have some chance against Dortmund/Monaco as opposed to the others.

• The topic was unpinned
32 minutes ago, StanLCFC said:

right now I'd take anyone. We've surpassed expectations and are the biggest underdogs I can remember the Champions League ever having at this stage.

I'd probably take Dortmund or Monaco. Obviously both are far better than us but not as better as Barca, Bayern or Real. I feel we'd have some chance against Dortmund/Monaco as opposed to the others.

What about Juve?

1 minute ago, StanLCFC said:

There was also Malaga a few years back as well when they got to the quarters and only just went out against Dortmund, where a poor moment from Demichelis cost them very late in the game after looking like they were on their way to the semis. It was quite something to be honest and this is similar, although in your case you've just won the league as well so it's more special in that regard and shows that there is still hope in football where many think only a certain group of clubs can win the biggest domestic leagues and the Champions league.

Monaco are also showing it tonight. It's been a promising Champions league tournament so far this year. Full of surprises, comebacks, 10-2 stompings and we are only in the round of 16.

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Bayern, Dortmund, Juventus, Leicester, Monaco/City(likely Monaco). I can't really see any easy draws there.

3 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

There was also Malaga a few years back as well when they got to the quarters and only just went out against Dortmund, where a poor moment from Demichelis cost them very late in the game after looking like they were on their way to the semis. It was quite something to be honest and this is similar, although in your case you've just won the league as well so it's more special in that regard and shows that there is still hope in football where many think only a certain group of clubs can win the biggest domestic leagues and the Champions league.

Monaco are also showing it tonight. It's been a promising Champions league tournament so far this year. Full of surprises, comebacks, 10-2 stompings and we are only in the round of 16.

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Bayern, Dortmund, Juventus, Leicester, Monaco/City(likely Monaco). I can't really see any easy draws there.

The greatest story since the Champions League format is Villarreal, a club that just over 20 years ago was practically non professional and resides in a town of 30,000 inhabitants (that would be considered a village in many countries).  They got to the semi-finals of the Champions League and were a penalty shot away (Riquelme) from reaching the final against Arsenal.  Villarreal were very unlucky that night and played Arsenal off the park.

Just now, StanLCFC said:

Possibly.

Possibly what?

I know it's a possibility you can get drawn against them.  But you gave a resume on the clubs you have a chance against and those you feel it's totally beyond Leicester's capabilities (something I don't believe).  Then there's Monaco/Man City or Atlético Madrid.

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The greatest story since the Champions League format is Villarreal, a club that just over 20 years ago was practically non professional and resides in a town of 30,000 inhabitants.  They got to the semi-finals of the Champions League and were a penalty shot away (Riquelme) from reaching the final against Arsenal.  Villarreal were very unlucky that night and played Arsenal off the park.

Pellegrini was the man behind both(themselves and Malaga) as well.

The team I'd most want to avoid for the record is Atletico Madrid.

• Administrator
Just now, SirBalon said:

Possibly what?

I know it's a possibility you can get drawn against them.  But you gave a resume on the clubs you have a chance against and those you feel it's totally beyond Leicester's capabilities (something I don't believe).  Then there's Monaco/Man City or Atlético Madrid.

oh i thought you meant if I wanted them in the next round. I'm undecided haha. Juve I rate as better than Monaco. 

The team I'd most want to avoid for the record is Atletico Madrid.

Me too!  Totally!

Pellegrini was the man behind both(themselves and Malaga) as well.

And treated disrespectfully since, not just by City.

3 minutes ago, StanLCFC said:

oh i thought you meant if I wanted them in the next round. I'm undecided haha. Juve I rate as better than Monaco. 

I would say you'd want to avoid both Juve and Atlético Madrid before anyone else.  You can beat those three big boys with the attitude the players have now even though it would be a historical feat.

6 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

If I remember correctly, the referee fucked up and gave Dortmund a win against Malaga that match.

Archived