talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last movie you watched?

football forum

• Subscriber

Watched a couple over the weekend:

Blade Runner (1982) - NA - i wont rate it too old. I rewatched it as i wanted to see the new one shortly. I also read the book (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep) over my holidays and i thought the book was really good. In fact it was hard not to compare it to the movie while watching. Pretty much everything was better in the book except the ending. The ending in the movie almost redeemed it for me it. The book ending was fairly lackluster and anti climactic. The effects werent as big of a problem as i thought they would be to watch I can see how people would have been blown away at the time. If you like the story i recommend the book. 

Blade Runner 2049 - 7/10  It does pay tribute to the original and the book quite well. It isnt necessary to see the original but it has little nuggets that i quite liked throughout. The story wasnt anything particularly interesting and there where some definite short comings. Its not a master peice by any stretch but to any fan, its worth watching and definitely in theatres, the big picture and sound do it justice. And even worth watching in 3D; the effects where really cool and i rarely watch movies in 3D. 

Wind River - 8/10 Really well done movie. Not an overly complicated story mystery wise but it was thoroughly entertaining throughout. Had me at the edge of my seat at many points, I nearly forgot how good Jeremy Renner is. Props to Elizabeth Olson in this to she was excellent. I would recommend checking it out.

• Upvote 3

On 27/11/2017 at 11:51 PM, Viva la FCB said:

Watched a couple over the weekend:

Blade Runner (1982) - NA - i wont rate it too old. I rewatched it as i wanted to see the new one shortly. I also read the book (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep) over my holidays and i thought the book was really good. In fact it was hard not to compare it to the movie while watching. Pretty much everything was better in the book except the ending. The ending in the movie almost redeemed it for me it. The book ending was fairly lackluster and anti climactic. The effects werent as big of a problem as i thought they would be to watch I can see how people would have been blown away at the time. If you like the story i recommend the book. 

Blade Runner 2049 - 7/10  It does pay tribute to the original and the book quite well. It isnt necessary to see the original but it has little nuggets that i quite liked throughout. The story wasnt anything particularly interesting and there where some definite short comings. Its not a master peice by any stretch but to any fan, its worth watching and definitely in theatres, the big picture and sound do it justice. And even worth watching in 3D; the effects where really cool and i rarely watch movies in 3D. 

I haven't read the book,  but that ending,  not just Rutger's monologue,  but the paper unicorn was top stuff. 

As for the sequel,  I don't know man,  I just fell in love with it.  So,  well made. And the pace,  which many found slow,  I liked it. You are right about 3D, but watching it in IMAX was even better. And the casting of Gosling was perfect. 

It also sets up perfectly for a third movie,  but I doubt they will make it after incurring a huge loss. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

I haven't read the book,  but that ending,  not just Rutger's monologue,  but the paper unicorn was top stuff. 

As for the sequel,  I don't know man,  I just fell in love with it.  So,  well made. And the pace,  which many found slow,  I liked it. You are right about 3D, but watching it in IMAX was even better. And the casting of Gosling was perfect. 

It also sets up perfectly for a third movie,  but I doubt they will make it after incurring a huge loss. 

The paper unicorn was over the top, so good. I dont recall ever seeing any hint of Deckard being a replicant in the book, possible i missed it but i remember reading something that Ridley Scott said the answer was obvious...i mean theres way too many little things in the movie that point there but Phillip Dick still disagreed.

Unfortunately you're probably right on the sequel front to but i didnt ever see the numbers on how it did on the asian market, that could be a deciding factor.

How the high hell don't you people love Blade Runner? It is one of the greatest Sci-Fi films ever made. The blending of noir and science fiction is absolutely astounding, the implications of humanity contrasted by Deckard's and Rachel's relationship and Deckard's and Gaff's reltionship. The west's cultural imitations of the now dominant east-asian culture (the opposite to real life as the east imitates the west). The struggle of coming to terms with death and the futility of creation (one cannot help one's nature but can choose to behave accordingly) seen in Roy's reaction to knowing complete futility (murder) and realising his time is over. (saving a life)

• Upvote 1

Manchester by the Sea (2016)

Re-Watched it last night and actually enjoyed it even more the 2nd time. A perfect portrayal of grief and depression, and Casey Affleck is just mindblowingly good in this. So is Michelle Williams. 

9/10

The scene at the Police station is one of the most heart-wrenching scenes I've ever seen. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

One of those movies that feels like a heartbreaking but brilliant novel. 

Well said. At times it doesn't even feel like a movie, it feels like you're watching real people going through their losses and emotions. One of the most well acted movies of all time, in my opinion. I hope Casey Affleck will be in big things again in the future. Acting-wise he's lightyears ahead of his brother. 

Borg McEnroe (2017)

I've been dying to watch this for ages, and last night I finally got the chance. Great movie if you have any slight interest in Tennis, and/or good biopics, sports movies or movies about rivalry. The story telling was very good with nice flashbacks and everything, and the casting choices were top-notch. I mean, Shia Labeouf as John McEnroe? How is that not perfect? But Sverrir Gudnason was very good as well in portraying Björn Borg. 

7.5/10

Saw Wonder totally expecting it to be a corny flick, but it's refreshingly good. There's not much to work on plot-wise,  but they have done a good job with the approach. By showing us bits of every character's lives,  it makes it slightly different as a movie. Jacob Tremblay is unrecognisable,  and puts in a terrific performance. So do the rest of the cast. Do watch this, but don't go with high expectations,  and you will leave the theatre with a smile know your face. 

I have neither read the book, nor seen the original,  but the new 'Murder on the Orient Express' was strictly average. The stellar cast is largely wasted,  cause apart from Branagh and Pfeiffer everyone else don't have much to do. Maybe they should have shot it in a different style (like what Guy Ritchie has done to Sherlock) or adapted it to the modern times.

Also watched Nocturnal Animals. Just like his previous film,  A Single Man,  which I loved,  this movie is beautifully shot by Tom Ford. The three stories are handled quite well and the metaphors are perfectly chalked out,  eventhough things seem pretentious at times. Especially Amy Adams' world.  But overall I enjoyed it. 

'Where the Sidewalk Ends'

6/10

'I, Daniel Blake'

9/10

'Ah-Ga-Ssi (The handmaiden)'

7.5/10

'White Dog'

7.5/10

'Night and the City'

7.5/10

'Play it Again, Sam'

8/10

'Hello, Dolly!'

6/10

'Dom Za Vesanje (Time of the gypsies)'

5/10

'Tony Manero'

2/10

'Niagara'

6/10

'Shame'

4/10

• Subscriber

The Magnificent Seven (2016)

Didn't manage to watch it until today, it's ok as the action is enjoyable, but wouldn't watch again. They should have called it "The Ethnically Diverse Seven", haha. Nowhere near the original. In fact, I'll rewatch that one now.

6/10

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, nudge said:

The Magnificent Seven (2016)

Didn't manage to watch it until today, it's ok as the action is enjoyable, but wouldn't watch again. They should have called it "The Ethnically Diverse Seven", haha. Nowhere near the original. In fact, I'll rewatch that one now.

6/10

Haha yeah it was thoroughly average, good collection of actors but that was about it. The original is just much better, i hope they dont try to remake TGTBTU as the westerns in recent times have been largely shit. (by recent i mean nearly 30 years....)

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Haha yeah it was thoroughly average, good collection of actors but that was about it. The original is just much better, i hope they dont try to remake TGTBTU as the westerns in recent times have been largely shit. (by recent i mean nearly 30 years....)

I rewatched The Magnificent Seven (the original) yesterday too; much better, although I must admit I liked it better when I first watched it some 25 years ago haha. Steve McQueen, Yul Bryner and Eli Wallach are still top though. 

As for modern westerns, I agree completely. The last good western I've seen was probably Eastwood's Unforgiven. The Assassination of Jesse James was a good movie too, but more of a drama than a pure western. Quite a few good recent western TV shows/mini series though.

On 12/8/2017 at 9:37 PM, Tsubasa said:

Good movie from what I remember. Why the low score?

Didn't connect with it. The whole display of Fassbender's sex life just didn't appeal, to me.

On 12/9/2017 at 1:14 AM, FOYM said:

Oooooh a 9/10 for I, Daniel Blake eh...thsts one I never got round to seein h but I think I'll have to remedy that.

Very powerful movie. Some of the scenes were sickening, though. Makes your blood boil, because it's the same in real life.

4 hours ago, nudge said:

I rewatched The Magnificent Seven (the original) yesterday too; much better, although I must admit I liked it better when I first watched it some 25 years ago haha. Steve McQueen, Yul Bryner and Eli Wallach are still top though. 

As for modern westerns, I agree completely. The last good western I've seen was probably Eastwood's Unforgiven. The Assassination of Jesse James was a good movie too, but more of a drama than a pure western. Quite a few good recent western TV shows/mini series though.

The remake of 3:10 To Yuma was very good as well.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, nudge said:

I've been meaning to rewatch Jesse James actually that reminds me. That is the one shining light; the shows have been fairly good.

1 hour ago, ASF said:

Until the ending I thought it was fantastic but that whole end scene was like a train wreck to watch. I love me some Ben Foster and even what I think is still his best performance couldn't redeem it.

• Subscriber
18 hours ago, ASF said:

I liked it too, but as Viva la FCB said, the ending was horrible and ruined the film for me so much that I wouldn't consider watching it again... Yuma derailed.

Anyway, going to watch The Ballad of Lefty Brown later today, looks pretty good.