talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wrestling

football forum

The face of the WOS brand on ITV looks like it's going to be Nick Aldis. Probably the best name they could have hoped for alongside Drew Galloway given Stu Bennett is focused on acting. Interestingly WWE are plugging their United Kingdom tour with the stars from The UK Tournament more.

Edited by Aaroncpfc

So tonight is the night...

Will Brock Lesnar and Goldberg have a long match?

Will Roman Reigns beat The Undertaker?

Will Shane McMahon be the only one allowed to perform a big stunt again?

Will John propose to Nikki?

Does anybody really care about any of the above questions?

Is this the most boring WrestleMania line up in history?

Without giving away anything... some of the matches I wasnt looking forward to turned out to be really good, one moment is possibly one of my favourite wrestlemania moments ever, and there were three matches I was disappointed with which I don't want to overshadow what was otherwise a good show.

I actually thought there was only three moments that I'd actually want to rewatch. AJ Styles/Shane (which was easily MOTN), the Tag Team Ladder Match and what happened after Reigns/Taker. There were other okay moments but I'd say three that really were must watch.

The show is definitely too long now, 7 hours is insane and the crowd was pretty dead for the 2nd half. 

Edited by 6666

Spoilers - Don't read if you still intend to watch Wrestle Mania.

Overall that was a very good showing, but unfortunately a lot of people judge a Pay Per View by the final match and for me that could have been scripted a lot better. I understand why they did it as now the legacy of Roman Reigns is cemented forever. Even if they lay off his push as the leader of the company he will never drop as Lex Luger did because he has a convincing victory over the Dead Man to his record. He's the Guy that will forever be known as the person who retired The Undertaker and is now in a position where he can be justified as the unstoppable force in WWE. The only thing that annoys me is how they've done it.

Since he won his Slammy after being injured for a third of the year people recognised what was happening. He was going to be chosen over the other Shield members and Daniel Bryan to be the person to lead the company after John Cena. I wasn't against it as he looked the part and could hold a half decent match but when you have as many fans at live shows revolt on the multiple occassions that they did you have to alter the approach. Making him heel with Heyman as a Manager would have been perfect, but like John Cena they were content on getting him cheered and I think that still harms him. Because of that his weeknesses are highlighted more. He hasn't got Cena's charisma or likeability factor, and he's also showed himself to be absolutely terrible at selling a match. The whole main event was pretty painful to watch. They teased a whole 'new era' bollocks with AJ Styles and the NXT guys last year but when it comes to the big events, the ones that people remember, the ones where everybody around the world takes notice, the inner politics involing Roman Reigns and the part timers always seems to take centre statge.

Unfortunately nothing will change any time soon as the script writers did a very good job in ending it so Roman Reigns wouldn't turn heel and hurt his merchandise figures (anybody who goes to a live event will know why him and Cena out sell everybody else), and the fans wouldn't be able to do a WCW revolt by the way The Undertaker left the ring.

To focus on more positive the return of The Hardy Boyz was probably one of my favourite Wrestle Mania moments of all time. Everything from how they were announced, to the flow of the match, to the moves they performed, to the stunt Jeff Hardy did to how they got the crowd going at the end was played out magnificent. If you want to bring somebody back from the past that's how you do it.

I was plesently surprised how much I liked the Lesnar / Goldberg match. We knew it was going to be short and lack moves but jesus it was as intense as it could have been. Then there was the Shane McMahon/AJ Styles where Shane really did surprise me. AJ Styles can work against anybody. I know he's not got that Roman Empire build but if he was in the ring against an ageing Undertaker I imagine the match would have been of a far better quality.

As expected the womens matches and the crusierweight match didn't disappoint. I think all those matches had the right outcomes too. Infact I think every match apart from Roman Reigns and Mojo Rawlley's wins had the correct outcomes. If The Deadman was allowed to go out in to the sunset I would have said this has been one of the best Wrestle Mania's ever.

I did have a couple more gripes. The ending to the Randy Orton / Bray Wyatt and the Kevin Owens / Chris Jericho matches could have been a lot better given how good the matches were.  I anticipated that they were rushed on time with that. John Cena and Nikki Bella's moment was cringe as hell. I would have liked to have seen Samoa Joe and Finn Balor interfere in the Triple H / Seth Rollins match instead of having a similar finish to the year before too

Then there was the kick off show. I have no idea what Dean Ambrose / Baron Corbin was doing on the kick off show. They must have been fuming to make way for Pitbull. The Andre The Giant Battle Royal was a complete waste of time again. Anything that screams problem with decision making the most in WWE it's the attitude of 'let the former football player with celebrity friends win a big match'.

I'd give it an 8/10 overall. Better than last year, but not as good as the year when Seth left as The Champion.

• Upvote 3

• Subscriber

I have re watched the Hardyz return so many times. I love a good return and that was up up there with some of my favourite Mania moments. 

AJ is quality and always has some of the best matches, i expect him to feud with Orton down the line for the title. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

I have re watched the Hardyz return so many times. I love a good return and that was up up there with some of my favourite Mania moments. 

AJ is quality and always has some of the best matches, i expect him to feud with Orton down the line for the title. 

I'm genuinely struggling to think of the last time my jaw dropped and I was so psyched at the same time for a whole Wrestle Mania match. Absolute class moment.

After watching the main event I think it became clear why Roman isnt the guy they want him to be, That tombstone botch was hilariously bad and commentators like to bill him as a powerhouse when he doesn't really have any powerhouse traits to be honest. He spams the superman punch wayyyyyy too fuckin much that it's become the most unbearable move in wrestling for me, I'm even more fed up with it than I was when Cena was beating everyone with an AA a few years ago. To be fair though there really wasn't much more he could of done in that match The Undertaker is literally crippled and can barely pull off a choke slam properly anymore so I knew this match would be bad. 

The things I enjoyed were the first match Shane Mcmahon proving why he's an absolute legend, I know he doesn't wrestle much but every time he has a match it's pure entertainment to see how far he can go without killing himself or his opponent, he's not really technically sound in there but he has enough wrestling/Jui Jitsu knowledge to pull off a good match and obviously AJ styles made him look a million dollars like he does with everyone.

Rollins vs HHH was a very good match even though Seth spent most of the match selling the wrong knee which makes me believe the injury was all a work to get the fans behind him and cement his baby face turn. Obviously the best moment of the night was the Hardyz returning, I was pacing around my living room like a loon when I heard their music, It's gonna be interesting to see them on Raw tonight and what they are going to do with them moving forward because I don't know how much of the broken gimmick they can use with all the legal threats from TNA, Unless Vince just says fuck them and let's them use the gimmick anyway.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Really can't fathom how WWE gets views. It's men in tight underpants pretending to fight each other? You don't see darts players ''pretend'' to throw the darts at the board or surfers ''pretend'' to get in the water do you? It's one big circus act as far as I can see and I don't know how anyone can get hyped about matches which as clearly rigged and practised before-hand.

I've seen plenty of footballers "pretend" to be fouled. :ph34r:

On 03/04/2017 at 21:19, UNORTHODOX said:

After watching the main event I think it became clear why Roman isnt the guy they want him to be, That tombstone botch was hilariously bad and commentators like to bill him as a powerhouse when he doesn't really have any powerhouse traits to be honest. He spams the superman punch wayyyyyy too fuckin much that it's become the most unbearable move in wrestling for me, I'm even more fed up with it than I was when Cena was beating everyone with an AA a few years ago. To be fair though there really wasn't much more he could of done in that match The Undertaker is literally crippled and can barely pull off a choke slam properly anymore so I knew this match would be bad. 

The things I enjoyed were the first match Shane Mcmahon proving why he's an absolute legend, I know he doesn't wrestle much but every time he has a match it's pure entertainment to see how far he can go without killing himself or his opponent, he's not really technically sound in there but he has enough wrestling/Jui Jitsu knowledge to pull off a good match and obviously AJ styles made him look a million dollars like he does with everyone.

Rollins vs HHH was a very good match even though Seth spent most of the match selling the wrong knee which makes me believe the injury was all a work to get the fans behind him and cement his baby face turn. Obviously the best moment of the night was the Hardyz returning, I was pacing around my living room like a loon when I heard their music, It's gonna be interesting to see them on Raw tonight and what they are going to do with them moving forward because I don't know how much of the broken gimmick they can use with all the legal threats from TNA, Unless Vince just says fuck them and let's them use the gimmick anyway.

Completely agree with everything you've said there abouts Roman Reigns and AJ Styles. I wish AJ Styles wrestled Undertaker as if anybody could make him look good it would be him.

Regarding The Hardy Boyz gimmick, there is an arguement that by winning the titles they've shown theyre 'the greatest tag team in all space and time' by holding all three major titles in less than a month. Technically ending that storyline. It would be a damn shame if we never see Senor Benjamin or Vanguard One again. I hope vince runs with it.

On 03/04/2017 at 21:38, Aaroncpfc said:

Completely agree with everything you've said there abouts Roman Reigns and AJ Styles. I wish AJ Styles wrestled Undertaker as if anybody could make him look good it would be him.

Regarding The Hardy Boyz gimmick, there is an arguement that by winning the titles they've shown theyre 'the greatest tag team in all space and time' by holding all three major titles in less than a month. Technically ending that storyline. It would be a damn shame if we never see Senor Benjamin or Vanguard One again. I hope vince runs with it.

AJ really is phenomenal, He could have a good match with anyone and it's good to see him finally getting the recognition he deserves. On the Hardyz I have a feeling Vince will just let them run with it because I doubt TNA will want to take on WWE in a legal battle, I don't even think TNA have a leg to stand on anyway considering all the material and content came from Matt & Jeff in the first place.

5 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Really can't fathom how WWE gets views. It's men in tight underpants pretending to fight each other? You don't see darts players ''pretend'' to throw the darts at the board or surfers ''pretend'' to get in the water do you? It's one big circus act as far as I can see and I don't know how anyone can get hyped about matches which as clearly rigged and practised before-hand.

You answered your own question mate! People like it because it is a circus act.

6 hours ago, Cannabis said:

I also don't watch wrestling. But the arguement for people who do is sound. It's just another tv show, scripted, testosterone fueled and fun.

It's a lot like game of thrones has become. Shit intrigue and plots, hammy violence and tits. Think of it like that.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I'm genuinely struggling to think of the last time my jaw dropped and I was so psyched at the same time for a whole Wrestle Mania match. Absolute class moment.

I've watched it every day since. xD

favourite Mania moment In years. 

Enjoyed it as much as the opening segment of 30.

Glad taker has retired, he just didn't have it anymore. Few years too late probably. 

15 hours ago, Tanksie said:

I also don't watch wrestling. But the arguement for people who do is sound. It's just another tv show, scripted, testosterone fueled and fun.

It's a lot like game of thrones has become. Shit intrigue and plots, hammy violence and tits. Think of it like that.

That's pretty much what it is with the addition of crowd interaction. No one's watching it thinking it's actual in ring competition.

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned