talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wrestling

football forum

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

We both got around the same percentage right :readthemessage:

I missed the obvious balor vs lashley, so you gotta give that to me. And I fucked up Big time with the lesnar rollins and the uso match. 

The Usos went over as faces when they forfeited to the new day, so they were never going to lose their 'punishment' match. But I completely forgot that happened

As soon as I saw Rollins lesnar was first I regretted my decision 

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

FOX have stated they want a more authentic show when Smackdown goes there and with the show in Saudi Arabia coming up I just presumed "business is business". Seth Rollins getting one over him on raw the show before wm is never a good omen.

Credit to the producers though, that was a great WrestleMania. None of my underwhelming predictions came in because none of it was underwhelming. A 9/10 for me. If it wasnt botched roll up finish i would possibly be suggesting this was the greatest Wrestle Mania ever.

I think a lot of the match 'results' were great. So this was a very good wrestlemania. The match quality on the other hand though.... we weren't exactly served up a heap of classics, or indeed, ANY classics. Or indeed any better than bang fucking average matches. 

Rollins lesnar was what it had to be 2.5/5

Bryan vs Kofi was long, unmemorable and slow.  The crowd were invested, so Meltzer will give it a solid score, but i'm rating pure match quality here. Bryan has become a rest hold merchant in the vein or Orton or Roode. Just not a memorable match spot, story or pace wise. 3.5/5

Balor vs Lashley had more flair, and an easy to follow tale. But very short. 3/5

Joe beat rey in under a minute. 1.5/5

Womens tag match had 2 tallentless whales and a part timer in it. It was... okay considering. 2.5/5

Smackdown tag match was one of the very few memorable ones. Everyone contributed and the cesaro swing + beats spot was fantastic. 3.5/5

Angle vs Corbin was... yeah. 2/5

Styles vs Orton was slow because Orton was in it. I almost forgot it was on the card, says it all 2.5/5

HHH vs Drax was surprisingly good. Batista loves the business and let HHH do some fucked up shit. The chain whips were horrendous. 3.5/5 

Miz vs Shane had a very strange ending, but a very solid match tale and the hardcore spot a match like that needs 3.5/5

McIntyre vs Reigns was everything wrong with roman reigns and exactly why he'll be booed into oblivion once more shortly. But solid, yet again, forgettable match. 2.5/5

Womens match did not live up to the hype, botched finish and not enough use of the copious talent of Charlotte and Becky. No strong narrative either. 3/5

Last wrestlemania Asuka vs Charlotte, Miz vs Balor vs Rollins and Angle/Rousey vs HHH and steph were FAR superior to just about any match on this card.

On 08/04/2019 at 23:40, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I think a lot of the match 'results' were great. So this was a very good wrestlemania. The match quality on the other hand though.... we weren't exactly served up a heap of classics, or indeed, ANY classics. Or indeed any better than bang fucking average matches. 

I think the results were more important than the actual match quality this year given what we have been subjected too in the past couple of years. We have had an inactive champion for pretty much two years, the Becky Lynch movement gathered up some pretty good momentum for some time (although they tried their best to make it confusing) and I can appreciate why the Kofi story has become so engaging for many others. It didn't need classics, it just needed creative to get things right.

Plus, given the way the crowd reacted the following night. I think Vince McMahon succeeded in making the hardcore Brooklyn crowd look ungrateful.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/04/2019 at 02:28, Devil-Dick Willie said:

As expected the match ratings of all the mania matches were very low, bar the Kofi/Bryan match.

I think the results were more important than the match endings given what people have had to endure for some time with Brock, Roman, Shane, HHH etc consistently coming across as immortal. It looks like they're reeling out the old fossils again for the next Saudi Arabia show too.

I hate hate hate hate hate this. It's literally a mechanism to get Roman Reigns on tv more. Fuck this. 

If you have all the 'stars' of raw and 'stars' of smackdown on both shows all the time it leaves no time for the midcard as well. Horrendous. AEW can't come soon enough.

20190514_184858.thumb.jpg.965fba44bd69b6f5f2047479dffb3867.jpg

Managed to land these tickets. Cant rotate the image because Rab cant handle the quality of my phone. 

The show started off 10/10. Then it went to an 8/10. Then before you knew it we didn't see Bekcy, Bayley or Rusev and we were watching 205 live.

They did this weird thing where Charlotte walked to the ring. Got an absolutely brilliant reception because in the UK we love her. Then the lights went black and they played some feel sorry for Becky video, and we never saw her again. Pissed me right off. How can you have such a hot commodity and not even let her say something. Confused the audience and the crowd went flat after that. Which I imagine will show on the televised show.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I thought the unpredictable ending to last nights show was great but the internet seems to have had a break down xD

Did I pop? Yes. Is it the worst mid term decision they could have made? Yes. The guy who never shows up is next in line to be champion again. In a match where 9 other guys busted their ass (Literally in Andrades case) to put themselves over (bar Orton who's the laziest cunt in the world) 

Strip the title off the 2 over as fuck face champs and put it on Lesnar. Yeah, great thinking, that'll bring the viewers back

The 24/7 title should have just been a reintroduction of the hardcore title. The idea is good the execution was poor. The crowd didn't give a fuck about the fuggo piece of shit.

The wildcard rule is shit, and they are on a fucking mission from god to get roman booed again. Stop putting him on every PPV, stop having him go on after titles in a more main event spot, stop having him squash more popular guys, stop having him win EVERY SINGLE FUCKING MATCH, stop putting him on both shows. Fuck me. Poor bastard. 

Edited by Devil-Dick Willie

On 21/05/2019 at 13:42, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Did I pop? Yes. Is it the worst mid term decision they could have made? Yes. The guy who never shows up is next in line to be champion again. In a match where 9 other guys busted their ass (Literally in Andrades case) to put themselves over (bar Orton who's the laziest cunt in the world) 

Strip the title off the 2 over as fuck face champs and put it on Lesnar. Yeah, great thinking, that'll bring the viewers back

The 24/7 title should have just been a reintroduction of the hardcore title. The idea is good the execution was poor. The crowd didn't give a fuck about the fuggo piece of shit.

The wildcard rule is shit, and they are on a fucking mission from god to get roman booed again. Stop putting him on every PPV, stop having him go on after titles in a more main event spot, stop having him squash more popular guys, stop having him win EVERY SINGLE FUCKING MATCH, stop putting him on both shows. Fuck me. Poor bastard. 

I agree with all of that to be fair. I think the Brock decision and the wildcard rule have come about because of the present raitings. However, they're suffering now because of the decision making process that's expanded for years. People aren't deciding to not watch Raw because Rollins is a bad champion, or because AJ Styles isn't  interesting, or because Becky isn't doing well. Its years of part time Champions, years of people past their prime getting main event opportunities, years of glass ceilings being placed in front of popular talent. No matter how many times we are told change is coming we know they always revert back to the same rubbish.

I guess though the network, sponsors, event organisers etc who pay WWE the  big bucks dont see it like that. All there graphs will show that when Brock is there raitings are on the increase, as are when they bring back a fossil from the attitude era. It's this short termism approach I reckon that hinders the company in the long run. Fox for example will no doubt be delighted to have Brock Lesnar back.

The only long term positive from MITB is the mental freedom they gave Ali, Andrade, Ricochet and McIntyre suggests to me that they are all rated highly. 

Oh, and the one thing that did annoy me at MITB. Them referring to the next Saudi show as good or bigger than Wrestle Mania. I mean come on xD What a way to piss on the last 35 years. You cant claim to be leading the way in a female sports evolution with statements like that.

I do hope people refuse to stream Double or Nothing and pay the PPV price for it. They've got a chance to be on ITV long term in the UK which is mad. Better exposure than WWE now have with BT Sport (arguably bigger than Sky too as Sky never really pushed it). Theres a real chance to shock the industry here. WWE may make more money with their tours of Saudi Arabia but not having a grip in the major Western countries would really irritate them.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Jericho's tweet amused me. What the fuck are WWE playing at? Brock is so boring being a part time Champ.

Also JR's tweet is very true - having a title is as meaningless as it's ever been. 

Edited by JOSHBRFC
  • Upvote 1

The only match that exceeded my expectations was SCU vs Stronghearts.

The psychology of the lucha bros vs the young bucks was horrid. They made a huge deal of the bucks lacking practice, and had them bump into each other and kick each other, even in the middle of the match, just for them to win it anyway. Which also meant neither AAA or OWE got the rub either. 

Jericho vs Omega was good if not slightly underwhelming. 

Cody vs Dustin was a WWE match but with blood in it.It was a great story and Dustin performed admirably. Cody always has story driven matches because he is incapable of wrestling technically high level matches. He will always be codeine Rhodes, the American nightmeh