talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wrestling

football forum

40 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

What’s was everyone’s thoughts on Full Gear last week?

I enjoyed it for what it is. Still cant get behind the womens divison, the bastard Pac is looking good, surprised Young Bucks took another L but was happy with the match, glad Scropio Skys getting a lot of attention, and I didn't mind the Cody/Jericho ending as its building to something.

Cant believe people have moaned and complained about wanting The Attitude Era back and then thought Omega/Mox was too graphic. Wrestling fans are the worst part about wrestling. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

I enjoyed it for what it is. Still cant get behind the womens divison, the bastard Pac is looking good, surprised Young Bucks took another L but was happy with the match, glad Scropio Skys getting a lot of attention, and I didn't mind the Cody/Jericho ending as its building to something.

Cant believe people have moaned and complained about wanting The Attitude Era back and then thought Omega/Mox was too graphic. Wrestling fans are the worst part about wrestling. 

Pretty much my thoughts. I did think the Omega/Mox match was OTT. Never liked the use of glass to be fair. Taking the ring up just seemed to much hassle as well. Omega is an animal though. Took some huge bumps.

Eas surprised at the ending of dynamite this week with the Jericho clean loss. Thought aew could have made more of a bigger point of it actually. 

Missed full gear unfortunately 

• 2 weeks later...

Caught up on Survivor Series week. I must say, despite my initial criticisms I feel that WWE have played out this invasion angle very well. When Rhea Ripley, Keith Lee, Tomasso Ciampa, Shayna Baszler and Adam Cole move to another brand they'll be ready to feud with Becky Lynch, Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, Daniel Bryan etc straight away because of it.

So why has Kenny omega never been in WWE then?

Anyway I'm hoping moxley can beat Jericho and win the aew championship. I get why Jericho is the champion but he is out of shape and is generally carried by his opponents in my opinion.

13 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

So why has Kenny omega never been in WWE then?

Anyway I'm hoping moxley can beat Jericho and win the aew championship. I get why Jericho is the champion but he is out of shape and is generally carried by his opponents in my opinion.

Chrisy boy is still a great wrestler. But yeah he looks like shit.

Omega was a star in NJPW. He had the greatest match off all time there as well. 

Meltzer and Alvarez were throwing around names for wrestler of the year. But this year it should be a fucking 100% slam dunk no brainer. Osprey has been never open weight champ and cruiser weight champ in NJPW all year, wrestled 5 5 star matches (the most of anyone this year) and been 'the guy' for the company that has produced every wrestler of the year since 2012. 

But of course the biased cunts are blathering on about 2 guys from a company that's had a weekly show for 4 months and less than a handful of ppvs. Cody with 1 great match and 2 great promos. Jericho with 0 5 star matches and some nice skills on the mic

Jericho is the GOAT for me. But anyone but Osprey 1st Okada 2nd would be Phil's bald head 

Just watched raw. I haven't watched WWE in a while but I know who some of the characters are and have a rough idea of some of the storylines. I watched some of it last week as well. I don't really feel the same connection to the characters as I do with aew though despite the fact WWE has better wrestlers. It seems to me the fans like Becky lynch more than any of the male wrestlers. I think drew macintyre would be perfect for aew though. It just seems to me aew is getting absolutely everything out if it's wrestlers and doing everything it can to make it as entertaining as possible. Where as WWE makes a lot of its money through merchandise so it doesn't maybe need to. When it goes to BT sport in the new year I might give it a go but I didn't really find it that entertaining where as with aew I can't wait for the next episode.

Edited by Guest

On 07/12/2019 at 03:17, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Meltzer and Alvarez were throwing around names for wrestler of the year. But this year it should be a fucking 100% slam dunk no brainer. Osprey has been never open weight champ and cruiser weight champ in NJPW all year, wrestled 5 5 star matches (the most of anyone this year) and been 'the guy' for the company that has produced every wrestler of the year since 2012. 

But of course the biased cunts are blathering on about 2 guys from a company that's had a weekly show for 4 months and less than a handful of ppvs. Cody with 1 great match and 2 great promos. Jericho with 0 5 star matches and some nice skills on the mic

Jericho is the GOAT for me. But anyone but Osprey 1st Okada 2nd would be Phil's bald head 

I've never got the obsession with Dave Meltzer's match ratings. Back in the day of dail up I understand why they were important but given theres so many varied ways of entertainment through wrestling in present society I don't get how they can compare everything any more to the point where one persons opinion holds so much weight. Especially given, they both (more so Alvarez) come across as anti-WWE and overly pro to AEW.

5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Just watched raw. I haven't watched WWE in a while but I know who some of the characters are and have a rough idea of some of the storylines. I watched some of it last week as well. I don't really feel the same connection to the characters as I do with aew though despite the fact WWE has better wrestlers. It seems to me the fans like Becky lynch more than any of the male wrestlers. I think drew macintyre would be perfect for aew though. It just seems to me aew is getting absolutely everything out if it's wrestlers and doing everything it can to make it as entertaining as possible. Where as WWE makes a lot of its money through merchandise so it doesn't maybe need to. When it goes to BT sport in the new year I might give it a go but I didn't really find it that entertaining where as with aew I can't wait for the next episode.

I've quite enjoyed the upper midcard zone of Raw since the draft. With The OC as the major heel, Rey as the focal point, and then having guys like Ricochet, Drew, Orton, Humberto etc fight around them. It's a damn lot better than the set up they had last year.

We wont know officially for another 5-10 years but I'd like to find out the impact Paul Heyman is having on the direction of people like Street Profits, Viking Raiders, Buddy Murphy and Aleister Black. They've really become a focal point of the product every week. Imagine thinking that a year ago.

• Upvote 1

It seems like WWE are putting weekly shows ahead of second rate PPVs after the way TLC went. 

I don't have a problem with it but I'd rather them go back to the old concept where Raw and Smackdown have there own individual PPVs every 2/3 months (raw get backlash, smackdown get judgement day etc) just to make the second rate PPVs feel more meaningful. 

• Upvote 1

AEW is sliding. Their 'sports based' product is a collection of WCW-esque horse shit gimmicks. Their biggest star and the guy who WWE would have been most afraid of outside of Jericho loses all the time and hasn't drawn a single new fan. They're leaning HEAVILY on their ex WWE talent to stay afloat and if Jericho decides he wants out or to hold the company hostage their all fucked. All the indie stars have failed to capture new imaginations. The only guys who are increasing their stock are probably Jungle boy/Luchasaurus and MJF. Signing JR looks to have been a big mistake.

Khan stunnering Shawn Spears after the show as well. FFS. The bucks have had to close their twitter and Marty Scurll, one of the worlds very best cruiser weights and a friend of theirs from Bullet Club want absolutely nothing to do with  the company it seems even though he just became a free agent. 

In 6 months time when daddy Khan pulls the plug or when their weekly live show does under 500 000 Jim Cornette is gonna be unbearably smug. And deservedly so. These guys have done a piss poor job tbh.  

Theres a couple of things they need to improve on but they seem to be self aware. No vignettes were a big criticism of mine which they've started doing, the womens divison being poor was another where they've now added Kris and Swole, camera angles being off queue is a BIG problem but I think that'll be rectified after the recent fake punch fiasco with The Dark Order.

I think they're doing ok. They're going through the "they cant do anything right" phase at the minute. I saw people criticise Cody for responding to fans on Twitter as its "small time", I mean come on people.

People just need to bare in mind they're learning. Theres a real lust and desire for wrestling fans to criticise everything. Even things that are happening after the show which nobody else are meant to be seen are being criticised. Sometimes people just need to take a step back and enjoy what's going right.

On 23/12/2019 at 22:54, Devil-Dick Willie said:

AEW is sliding. Their 'sports based' product is a collection of WCW-esque horse shit gimmicks. Their biggest star and the guy who WWE would have been most afraid of outside of Jericho loses all the time and hasn't drawn a single new fan. They're leaning HEAVILY on their ex WWE talent to stay afloat and if Jericho decides he wants out or to hold the company hostage their all fucked. All the indie stars have failed to capture new imaginations. The only guys who are increasing their stock are probably Jungle boy/Luchasaurus and MJF. Signing JR looks to have been a big mistake.

Khan stunnering Shawn Spears after the show as well. FFS. The bucks have had to close their twitter and Marty Scurll, one of the worlds very best cruiser weights and a friend of theirs from Bullet Club want absolutely nothing to do with  the company it seems even though he just became a free agent. 

In 6 months time when daddy Khan pulls the plug or when their weekly live show does under 500 000 Jim Cornette is gonna be unbearably smug. And deservedly so. These guys have done a piss poor job tbh.  

I get why they went for a commentary team of Tony Schiavonne and Jim Ross as it adds a legitimate, authentic feel to the new broadcast given one was the voice of TNT and the other was the voice of the competitor. But I really hope over time they look to fade them out. Schiavonne on the whole has done a good job but last week JR didnt know the name of about three or four of the wrestlers and had to be assisted. That is poor research and does nothing to help grow those characters. Excalibur is doing a good job given his modern day knowledge but they could, you know, explain why he wears a mask and not pretend it's completely normal. Goldenboy would be my choice long term to be JR's replacement given how natural he performed at the PPV he commentated.

I think Marty Scrull will end up in AEW eventually given all the hints they have dropped on BTE. If he does go over there, I hope it's under The Villian Enterprise faction as hes done a very good job at increasing their marketability within the last twelve months. Albeit they do need to cut down on some of the "Oooo scary" groups at the minute. I like Pepper Parks but signing him when you've already got The Dark Order just seems pointless. I'm not even going to mention whatever is going on with Brandi Rhodes.

Other than Marty Scrull I think there recruitment for the next year needs to be your heavyweights that can move like Jeff Cobb, Brian Cage, Brodie Lee etc. All the new talent they're promoting well (Jungle Boy, Darby Allan, Kip Sabian, Sammy Guevara etc) all have one thing in common. Half the audience look like they can beat them up.

• Upvote 1