talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wrestling

football forum

4 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I thought this is supposed to be a Wrestling thread? the last 40 odd posts ia about spoilers 😂

Lol its because there was a PPV and  not everyone has seen it

24 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Don't know, better than putting a O.o in. 

Ha ha. You need to start watching wrestling mate we  would have some  great conversations. Just remember wwe and aew  are two separate companies. I know you get a bit confused sometimes 😂

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Ha ha. You need to start watching wrestling mate we  would have some  great conversations. Just remember wwe and aew  are two separate companies. I know you get a bit confused sometimes 😂

Not a wrestling fan I am afraid to say, only ever went to one wrestling match in my time and that was in Australia many moons ago with my brother-in-law at the Festival Hall in Melbourne.

He was a wrestling fanatic and we were watching some baddie wrestler called Killer Kowaski or something like that, when this Kowaski was leaving the ring and walking past us my brother-in-law jumped on his seat calling this guy all the names under the sun.

The only reason he jumped on the seat was to get eye level with the guy as Doug (brother-in-law) was only 5ft 3 and this Kowaski was over 6ft tall, I pulled him back and said to him " For fucks Doug, this guy will kill you if he grabs you."

@CaaC (John) I remember you saying about going to a wrestling show years ago. The guy you were with thought it was real didnt he? 😂  I don't know how anyone could think it was real especially live. I saw a wrestling match live when I was a kid in a holiday camp it was clear it was staged to me even when I was about ten 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@CaaC (John) I remember you saying about going to a wrestling show years ago. The guy you were with thought it was real didnt he? 😂  I don't know how anyone could think it was real especially live. I saw a wrestling match live when I was a kid in a holiday camp it was clear it was staged to me even when I was about ten 

Doug was a fanatic and I tried to tell him it was all an act but he wouldn't have it and thought it was genuine, I tried to explain to him that if it was real then god help how many wrestling deaths there would be. 😂

Apparently all out recieved critical acclaim from fans and critics 

3 massive debuts, cm punks first match in 7 years, a title chance, and some great matches. What a ppv

Edited by Guest

52 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Apparently all out recieved critical acclaim from fans and critics 

Reveal hidden contents

3 massive debuts, cm punks first match in 7 years, a title chance, and some great matches. What a ppv

The actual results weren't that interesting to be honest. The other stuff helped massively.

6 minutes ago, 6666 said:

The actual results weren't that interesting to be honest. The other stuff helped massively.

Yeah. In terms of a card there wasn't much manoeuvre for surprises.

I enjoyed it but some people are suggesting it's the best show since Daniel Bryan's title win at Wrestle Mania which feels to be an overreaction. Every positive last night could be construed as a negative depending on your outlook.

But they've got momentum on there side which is the main thing. Really hope we're looking at the beginning of a boom as opposed to a peak period that we don't even recognise.

9 minutes ago, 6666 said:

The tag team match was good. I have seen better from aew and I think it was a mistake to make it a cage match but it was still good. The womens battle royal was good as well and the  jericho match was good. The main event matches were good but not great. The Paul white match was just to calm the crowd for the main event. For a match that was only there to feel time  it was ok I thought 

4 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Yeah. In terms of a card there wasn't much manoeuvre for surprises.

I enjoyed it but some people are suggesting it's the best show since Daniel Bryan's title win at Wrestle Mania which feels to be an overreaction. Every positive last night could be construed as a negative depending on your outlook.

But they've got momentum on there side which is the main thing. Really hope we're looking at the beginning of a boom as opposed to a peak period that we don't even recognise.

I think the ending was the main thing. Before that I would have said good ppv and that made it a great ppv. 

3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think the ending was the main thing. Before that I would have said good ppv and that made it a great ppv. 

In terms of the debuts, it was very exciting but the more I think about how it was done, the more I think they could've done it better.

Adam Cole debuting and aligning himself with Kenny would've been enough to end the show on. To then get upstaged by a bigger debutant during the same segment and to also have him running away after getting beaten up isn't great booking.

They could've also had Ruby eliminated in a dirty way to set up a feud with another wrestler rather than just having her win. I do feel Nyla should've won. She's a monster that never succeeds in anything.

They shouldn't have had Jericho put his wresting career on the line against a wrestler that was supposed to be on the verge of the main event, only to have Jericho win. It makes MJF look bad.

Wouldn't say it was a bad show at all but the debuts helped massively. The tag match was very good though and I didn't expect The Bucks to lose the titles.

3 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Hide contents

In terms of the debuts, it was very exciting but the more I think about how it was done, the more I think they could've done it better.

Adam Cole debuting and aligning himself with Kenny would've been enough to end the show on. To then get upstaged by a bigger debutant during the same segment and to also have him running away after getting beaten up isn't great booking.

They could've also had Ruby eliminated in a dirty way to set up a feud with another wrestler rather than just having her win. I do feel Nyla should've won. She's a monster that never succeeds in anything.

They shouldn't have had Jericho put his wresting career on the line against a wrestler that was supposed to be on the verge of the main event, only to have Jericho win. It makes MJF look bad.

Wouldn't say it was a bad show at all but the debuts helped massively. The tag match was very good though and I didn't expect The Bucks to lose the titles.

I dont think we need to hide spoilers now.

I know what you mean about cole. Personally I think it was done so people think wow one debut then another when they see it. It does seem a bit unfair on cole but I dont think it will affect him to much. 

I do kind of agree with you with ruby. She is being given the title shot which she will probably loose. I wouldn't necessarily have nyla win it and thunder rosa will probably be the next champion so not her either because they dont want her to loose and then get another title shot. Jade cargil maybe as brit baker is more of a tweener and can wrestle heels or faces . Jade cargil is a kind of brock lesner of aew female wrestling she destroys everyone. So brit would get a good reaction.

I think it was abit of an odd decision to have Jericho beat mjf. I think they may have delayed their plans for him slightly because of the recent wrestlers who have joined  and so he had to loose to stop the momentum maybe. I do rate mjf very highly. If I was at an event I would want to hit him so he is great heel.

I think it was time for the bucks to lose and lucha Brothers were the right team to loose it to think. I think people are getting slightly frustrated because omega is the champion and the bucks were the tag team champions who all have management roles in the company. Although to be fair both would have championship runs anyway. Overall I thought it wasnt maybe as good as revolution a few years ago which was the best in my opinion match for match but it will be remembered for the ending.

I think aew want to try not to get to many more wrestlers in. If anything they could trim the roster down abit. Obviously if Bray wyatt wants to join they will give him a contract but then leave it at that.  I don't personally care about braun strowman but wouldn't surprise me if they signed him

Do you watch aew all the time? I thought you only watch nxt?

11 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Do you watch aew all the time? I thought you only watch nxt?

It's mainly YouTube highlights and big PPVs now. Especially as they're gutting NXT now. Instead of it being a wrestling programme that covers a different type of wrestling, it's going to become a place where wrestlers that Vince might like will be created.

1 minute ago, 6666 said:

It's mainly YouTube highlights and big PPVs now. Especially as they're gutting NXT now. Instead of it being a wrestling programme that covers a different type of wrestling, it's going to become a place where wrestlers that Vince might like will be created.

What are they doing to nxt? 

You might like aew dark. An hour of wrestling. Not to much story telling. Its decent 

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, 6666 said:

Hide contents

Initially my thinking was the same as you regarding the debuts but the more I think about it the more it was the right call.

Adam Cole's debut may have been more out of necessity than anything else. The longer they left if then the likelihood of WWE stooge informing the dirtsheets that he's signed elsewhere increases ten fold. So they'd lose that shock value moment.

Then there's the Bryan Danielson moment where they have to weigh up the pros between having him advertised for his first appearance at his home town, or having him surprise debut at the ppv before and then advertising his first match in his home town. Given CM Punk did the former and Bryan can still go as a wrestler I think the latter is the correct decision.

As for Ruby Riott her win has potential good knock on effects for the company. It sends a message to the women in the WWE that are potentially demoralised for a number of legitimate reasons (nepotism, Nia Jax being dangerous, best days gone in NXT etc) that if they were to go to AEW they will get opportunities and be taken seriously. Also, whilst Heidi Lovelace was popular in the indies, Ruby Riott was low midcard / jobber in the WWE so she's almost the perfect person to use in this scenario to have a feud with Britt Baker who they're not going to want to take the title off for some time. In a couple of months they can revaluate the women's divison and see whether there is a bigger draw from WWE available that could potentially take the women's title off Britt Baker at Revolution / DON next year.

I completely agree with your comments about MJF and Chris Jericho. I've never seen somebody beat someone four times and the show make it seem worthless. A year long rivalry with a bloated old timer and MJF has come off worse than he went in. Not a good look. A feud with CM Punk around now could have been gold for both of them too.

5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

What are they doing to nxt? 

You might like aew dark. An hour of wrestling. Not to much story telling. Its decent 

They're going in a "different direction". No more appealing to the hardcore internet fans / smart marks. It's going to feel more like a developmental show as opposed to a modern wrestling show. I'm not going to watch it as it doesn't appeal to me but I can see why they're doing it.

The class of performers they have at the Performance Centre are allegedly people they have huge hopes for. They include Parker Boudreaux, Rick Steiner's son, Odyssey Jones, The Rock's Daughter and now American Gold Medalist Gable Stevenson. They need to create the best pathway for them to get to stardom and putting them in front of smart NXT fans who want to cheer for a 5ft 8 technically sound indie worker whilst they're still learning is not going to be it. 

If one of the names they're bringing through makes it as a huge star then the whole revamp will be worth it as that one name would bring in more money to the company (sponsors, stock holders, Saudi blood money, merch etc) than all the temporarily disgruntled NXT fans who probably watch for free on Daily Motion anyway would.

13 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@The Palace Fan   I am abit concerned aew's roster may get a bit to big. There are reports of Kevin Owen's joining, Bray wyatt, brain strowman. They are gonna need to trim the roster down a bit I think. 

Its fine. They have four shows to get through a week and a large proportion of contracts will expire at the end of this year (Sonny Kiss, Joey Janela etc). The forbidden door policy allows disgruntled people the opportunity to work in companies such as Impact too.

So I read that dynamite beat raw in the ratings this week. Now that doesnt necessarily mean they will beat them every week and I know some people think Vince won't care because they make so much money in other ways. However I'm not so sure because it may affect shares. No matter what wwe is says it is still a wrestling company and wont want to get beaten in the ratings 

10 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

So I read that dynamite beat raw in the ratings this week. Now that doesnt necessarily mean they will beat them every week and I know some people think Vince won't care because they make so much money in other ways. However I'm not so sure because it may affect shares. No matter what wwe is says it is still a wrestling company and wont want to get beaten in the ratings 

Wrestling fans shouldn't care about ratings. Don't think wrestlers should either. Don't hear any talk about ratings with any other type of show. I think it's actually kind of embarrassing.

Also, it's all down to a flimsy algorithm. A small percentage of US homes are "Nielsen households" and their viewing habits are used to figure out the viewing habits of the whole country.

And Raw's viewership was actually higher. AEW just did more in the specific 18-49 age range which advertisers supposedly value the most. Not being reportedly like that though...

Jericho comes across as the biggest idiot when it comes to this sort of thing. Cares too much about it.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Wrestling fans shouldn't care about ratings. Don't think wrestlers should either. Don't hear any talk about ratings with any other type of show. I think it's actually kind of embarrassing.

Also, it's all down to a flimsy algorithm. A small percentage of US homes are "Nielsen households" and their viewing habits are used to figure out the viewing habits of the whole country.

And Raw's viewership was actually higher. AEW just did more in the specific 18-49 age range which advertisers supposedly value the most. Not being reportedly like that though...

Jericho comes across as the biggest idiot when it comes to this sort of thing. Cares too much about it.

From what I read the peak was higher. I didn't say it really mattered i just said it might matter to share holders. Minor things affect shares all the time. I dont think Vince will be happy.