talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wrestling

football forum

On 07/09/2021 at 16:54, The Palace Fan said:

They're going in a "different direction". No more appealing to the hardcore internet fans / smart marks. It's going to feel more like a developmental show as opposed to a modern wrestling show. I'm not going to watch it as it doesn't appeal to me but I can see why they're doing it.

The class of performers they have at the Performance Centre are allegedly people they have huge hopes for. They include Parker Boudreaux, Rick Steiner's son, Odyssey Jones, The Rock's Daughter and now American Gold Medalist Gable Stevenson. They need to create the best pathway for them to get to stardom and putting them in front of smart NXT fans who want to cheer for a 5ft 8 technically sound indie worker whilst they're still learning is not going to be it. 

If one of the names they're bringing through makes it as a huge star then the whole revamp will be worth it as that one name would bring in more money to the company (sponsors, stock holders, Saudi blood money, merch etc) than all the temporarily disgruntled NXT fans who probably watch for free on Daily Motion anyway would.

I think that's unfair on NXT. During its peak, NXT was the perfect mix of indie darlings and developmental talent. 
The Street prophets were popular despite Dawkins's 2 left feet
Lars Sullivan was a monster. 
You can have both worlds.  

2 hours ago, 6666 said:

Wrestling fans shouldn't care about ratings. Don't think wrestlers should either. Don't hear any talk about ratings with any other type of show. I think it's actually kind of embarrassing.

Also, it's all down to a flimsy algorithm. A small percentage of US homes are "Nielsen households" and their viewing habits are used to figure out the viewing habits of the whole country.

And Raw's viewership was actually higher. AEW just did more in the specific 18-49 age range which advertisers supposedly value the most. Not being reportedly like that though...

Jericho comes across as the biggest idiot when it comes to this sort of thing. Cares too much about it.

To add more context to this, both Eric Bischoff and Bruce Pritchard who were on the opposite side of the Monday Night Wars have both come forward and said even in the 90s when live TV was the only way to really consume the weekly wrestling product that the TV ratings were taken with a pinch of salt because of how Neilsen calculated them.

Outsiders/frauds like Bryan Alvarez still puts heavy scope on this sort of stuff but I imagine that's largely because it's information that can be accessed easily. 

I think it's a cool indicator of the growth of AEW but they shouldn't be getting the bubbly out over it.

33 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Was this post approved by Meltzer?

It's Daves system. And the system blows cock. 

I love NJPW. Love it to bits. And it gets the most 5* matches every year out of every company and it deserves to. But fuck me, during peak NJPW he would give several random 'really good throwaway matches' with no underlying story or drama in NJPW 5 stars, but the very best NXT  title matches were getting 4.5 just to fuck with WWE. 

9 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I think that's unfair on NXT. During its peak, NXT was the perfect mix of indie darlings and developmental talent. 
The Street prophets were popular despite Dawkins's 2 left feet
Lars Sullivan was a monster. 
You can have both worlds.  

With respect to those guys, WWE are looking to produce stars that are far bigger than anybody NXT have produced since 2016.

32 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

It's Daves system. And the system blows cock. 

I love NJPW. Love it to bits. And it gets the most 5* matches every year out of every company and it deserves to. But fuck me, during peak NJPW he would give several random 'really good throwaway matches' with no underlying story or drama in NJPW 5 stars, but the very best NXT  title matches were getting 4.5 just to fuck with WWE. 

Spot on.

Tony Khan has Meltzer, Alvarez, LaGreca and all those losers in his pocket but they're too excited to recognise it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Yes, he used to be the 'cattle mutilation/diving headbutt' guy

There use to be a "You're gonna get your fucking head kicked in" chant didn't there?  Not sure if that was at him or for him though? Have omega and danielson ever faced each other? What about punk and omega? 

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

There use to be a "You're gonna get your fucking head kicked in" chant didn't there?  Not sure if that was at him or for him though? Have omega and danielson ever faced each other? What about punk and omega? 

No, but who cares who punk faces in ring? He's a competent wrestler, but excellent on the mic. You want punk and jericho, punk and MJF, Punk and... well thats about it on the aew roster for charisma. Eddie Kingston maybe? 

On 13/09/2021 at 23:30, Devil-Dick Willie said:

No, but who cares who punk faces in ring? He's a competent wrestler, but excellent on the mic. You want punk and jericho, punk and MJF, Punk and... well thats about it on the aew roster for charisma. Eddie Kingston maybe? 

I'd say hes a bit more than confident. Hes not the best but hes still good. Interesting that they are starting of punk with a midcard rivalry but danielson is at main event level straight away 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I'd say hes a bit more than confident. Hes not the best but hes still good. Interesting that they are starting of punk with a midcard rivalry but danielson is at main event level straight away 

Given CM Punk hasnt wrestled since January 2014 before arriving in AEW, I don't think it's in anybody interest to throw him straight in to the main event. 

1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

Given CM Punk hasnt wrestled since January 2014 before arriving in AEW, I don't think it's in anybody interest to throw him straight in to the main event. 

Yeah I know. That was what I meant. It was good management. I get the impression impact wrestling years ago would have pushed him straigh at main event level? Aew seem to have learned alot from their mistakes. What do you think of punks in ring ability? 

18 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Yeah I know. That was what I meant. It was good management. I get the impression impact wrestling years ago would have pushed him straigh at main event level? Aew seem to have learned alot from their mistakes. What do you think of punks in ring ability? 

God knows what ideas Vince Russo would have pitched to him in the alleged "golden years" of TNA.

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Twitter's outraged again. This time over "The Plane Ride From Hell", you know, that thing that happened almost 20 years ago which got settled out of court.

All of this woke and cancel culture in the Wrestling Twitter community feels so fake at times.

I wondered what you were talking about as me not being a wrestling fan so I dug this up, imagine if that was a bunch of footballers.  :drunk:

The Plane Ride From Hell

22 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Impressed by adam cole so far. Cant see him staying heel for to long hes to popular 

It's too early to judge but so far I haven't seen anything to suggest he will be anything more than a mid carder doing dumb stuff with his mates in Kenny's shadow for the next couple of months.

48 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

It's too early to judge but so far I haven't seen anything to suggest he will be anything more than a mid carder doing dumb stuff with his mates in Kenny's shadow for the next couple of months.

Not sure about that. I think they will fight for leadership with one of them becoming face.