talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wrestling

football forum

Cody and Brandi set to leave AEW. Wasn't a big fan of either and everything they've done in the past year was meaningless but starting AEW was mainly Cody's idea so he should at least get credit there.

I wonder if some type of clash behind the curtain led to this. The way Brandi was being booked against the Jim Cornette parody didn't suggest she's leaving.

• Subscriber

118D6C2A-563B-4999-8731-9ABA8E698C40.jpeg

I know it’s Wrestlemania season, but surely not?

Also what are these rumours I’m seeing about the goat SCSA facing Kevin Owens at Mania!? i can’t see it after 2 decades tbh. Surely just click baitt? @Gunnersauraus@6666@DeadLinesman @The Palace Fan @Devil-Dick Willie

Edited by JoshBRFC

49 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

118D6C2A-563B-4999-8731-9ABA8E698C40.jpeg

I know it’s Wrestlemania season, but surely not?

Also what are these rumours I’m seeing about the goat SCSA facing Kevin Owens at Mania!? i can’t see it after 2 decades tbh. Surely just click baitt? @Gunnersauraus@6666@DeadLinesman @The Palace Fan @Devil-Dick Willie

The Rock vs Roman Reigns was the logical WrestleMania match for this year but his filming schedule buggered a run from Survivor Series.

I think the Stone Cold rumours are just guess work. He may do a five minute segment where he stunners Kevin Owens but I think that will be it. His retirement match was an actual retirement match given how blown up his body was. Given what he's revealed since it was a miracle he made it to the match.

2 hours ago, 6666 said:

Cody and Brandi set to leave AEW. Wasn't a big fan of either and everything they've done in the past year was meaningless but starting AEW was mainly Cody's idea so he should at least get credit there.

I wonder if some type of clash behind the curtain led to this. The way Brandi was being booked against the Jim Cornette parody didn't suggest she's leaving.

50% of me still thinks he's working the Internet Crowd but so much mental stuff has happened in the last five years I don't really know what to believe.

There's been rumours since Covid there were 'Creative Differences' between Cody and The Elite. Hence theyve never been on together at the same time. If Tony Khan has put his foot down then fair play to him.

29 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

50% of me still thinks he's working the Internet Crowd but so much mental stuff has happened in the last five years I don't really know what to believe.

There's been rumours since Covid there were 'Creative Differences' between Cody and The Elite. Hence theyve never been on together at the same time. If Tony Khan has put his foot down then fair play to him.

I mean, I'd have 'creative differences' to those ass clowns too. Going on tv with Brandon Cutler and his silly string? Career suicide. I give Cody credit for trying to be a serious wrestler. I don't give him credit for using industry terms in his promos, shoving his wife in our faces and for being a 3 time champion in a company that is yet to have a 2 time champ (sammy doesn't count) 
Or for 'putting over brodie" Fuck off you dog, you lost to him in 3 minutes so you'd look like a god when you beat him 3 weeks later. He put YOU over you sly cunt. 

12 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I mean, I'd have 'creative differences' to those ass clowns too. Going on tv with Brandon Cutler and his silly string? Career suicide. I give Cody credit for trying to be a serious wrestler. I don't give him credit for using industry terms in his promos, shoving his wife in our faces and for being a 3 time champion in a company that is yet to have a 2 time champ (sammy doesn't count) 
Or for 'putting over brodie" Fuck off you dog, you lost to him in 3 minutes so you'd look like a god when you beat him 3 weeks later. He put YOU over you sly cunt. 

Hard to argue with any of that. I imagine most people would prefer Cody's vision of what a successful weekly Wrestling show should be to that of Young Bucks (and possibly Tony Khan) but he falls in to the same trap that Triple H and Kevin Nash did where he's always looking to out himself over at the detriment of the show.

Apparently Tony Khan took a lot of the creative off the EVP's in the last round of contract renewals which can only be a good thing. There's enough experience there with Arn, Malenko, Big Show, Mark Henry etc that he can lean on now that he doesn't need active wrestlers. Not to mention Regal, Road Dogg etc now on the market.

12 hours ago, UNORTHODOX said:

The fans turning on Cody so much coincided with the information that there was backstage tension between him and the elite so the fans backed the elite. 

Wrong decision they are poisonous to the product. What they did to FTR was a clear act of sabotage.

It's hard to tell really as Tony Khan is obviously privy to a lot more of what goes on behind the scenes. On face value though The Young Bucks look a lot more committed to AEW than Cody has been in the previous two years with his random excursions to work on other ventures.

The tag team divison is a bit of a shame at the minute. You have FTR, LAX, ReDragon, Young Bucks, Pentagon & Pac and Black & Brody. Yet a Boy and his Dinosaur are Champions and they're defending against lower midcarders who they'll obviously beat.

34 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

The tag team divison is a bit of a shame at the minute. You have FTR, LAX, ReDragon, Young Bucks, Pentagon & Pac and Black & Brody. Yet a Boy and his Dinosaur are Champions and they're defending against lower midcarders who they'll obviously beat.

This is a consistent gripe I have with the company. 

Every belt, when you think about it, is defended 90% of the time against scrubs. 

Cody and his line up of one timers no one has heard of to wrestle for the TnT championship every week
The tag belts get mostly defended against AEW dark guys
Even the main strap. Names in bold are matches against stars(at the time) or where you actually think the belt might swap hands. 

Jericho beat Paige, Cody, Darby and Scorpio Sky, Moxley
Mox beat Hager, Brodie, Cage, Darby, MJF, Eddie Kingston, The butcher(wtf?) Lance Archer, Kingston again, Kenny Omega 

Omega beat Rey Fenix, Moxley, Rich Swann, Pac and Cassidy, Jungle Boy, Christian, Hangman

Hangman beat D Bry and Lance Archer. 

25 matches, 6 of them put 2 stars in the ring. 
Scorpio sky, Hager, Cage, The Butcher, Rey Fenix, OJ Cassidy, Jungle Boy and Eddie Kingston are all jobbers or low midcard singles who should be NOWHERE near the fucking thing. So that's 9 matches that are throw away matches. 

So 25 matches, 6 are actually competitive and leave you wondering who will win, 10 are against decent tallent to prop them up, to put the champ over or set something up for the future, and 9 were basically pointless. 

The ration should be more like 10 competitive (3 times a year) 10 enhancing upper midcard guys or using them to put the champ over and 5 or so throw aways ( once or twice a year for tv matches) 

9 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

This is a consistent gripe I have with the company. 

Every belt, when you think about it, is defended 90% of the time against scrubs. 

Cody and his line up of one timers no one has heard of to wrestle for the TnT championship every week
The tag belts get mostly defended against AEW dark guys
Even the main strap. Names in bold are matches against stars(at the time) or where you actually think the belt might swap hands. 

Jericho beat Paige, Cody, Darby and Scorpio Sky, Moxley
Mox beat Hager, Brodie, Cage, Darby, MJF, Eddie Kingston, The butcher(wtf?) Lance Archer, Kingston again, Kenny Omega 

Omega beat Rey Fenix, Moxley, Rich Swann, Pac and Cassidy, Jungle Boy, Christian, Hangman

Hangman beat D Bry and Lance Archer. 

25 matches, 6 of them put 2 stars in the ring. 
Scorpio sky, Hager, Cage, The Butcher, Rey Fenix, OJ Cassidy, Jungle Boy and Eddie Kingston are all jobbers or low midcard singles who should be NOWHERE near the fucking thing. So that's 9 matches that are throw away matches. 

So 25 matches, 6 are actually competitive and leave you wondering who will win, 10 are against decent tallent to prop them up, to put the champ over or set something up for the future, and 9 were basically pointless. 

The ration should be more like 10 competitive (3 times a year) 10 enhancing upper midcard guys or using them to put the champ over and 5 or so throw aways ( once or twice a year for tv matches) 

I told my friends who I watch the big WWE PPV matches with that were interested after All Out not to watch Dynamite unless its a special (ie Grand Slam). Even then they I had to explain why "Battle of the Belts" had one title defence and Flabby Cole lost to a hug at "Beach Break". Every week its just predictable winners with no character building. 

Hopefully going forward Tony Khan listens to the retired experience around him. There's enough people with a track record of success to create a good product. TNA peaked in 2006 when Dutch Mantell was left with his devices. Five months after Kurt debuted they were chanting "Fuck off Russo". Make the use of the experience around you.

On 20/02/2022 at 19:41, The Palace Fan said:

Watched Impact's PPV last night. They've been smashing it out the park recently. They've easily produced the best two shows this year. Fair play to them.

Matt cardona is champion isnt he? Is he better in impact? He never seemed like championship material in aew?

I'm a few weeks behind in aew but in my opinion bryan danielson is one  of the former wwe guys that has lived up to his full potential. Especially since the heel turn 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Matt cardona is champion isnt he? Is he better in impact? He never seemed like championship material in aew?

I'm a few weeks behind in aew but in my opinion bryan danielson is one  of the former wwe guys that has lived up to his full potential. Especially since the heel turn 

Matt Cardona is NWA Champion where he seems to he doing his best work. He's the equivalent of the TNT Champion in Impact. The World Champion in Impact is Moose whose been smashing it.

21 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Matt Cardona is NWA Champion where he seems to he doing his best work. He's the equivalent of the TNT Champion in Impact. The World Champion in Impact is Moose whose been smashing it.

Ow right. I read that moose got offered a contract with wwe going straight to the main roster. I have heard good things about him. 

Just watched the dynamite from Chicago. Fair play to punk for taking his first defeat in Chicago. 

Seems the only person aew fans hated more than cody till he left was brandi. Even dan Lambert got cheers over her.  As for cody leaving. He was getting very irritating.  But I do love aew and it wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him. Had there been a show in England I would probably cheer him just for that. And he did have some great matches. 

19 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Ow right. I read that moose got offered a contract with wwe going straight to the main roster. I have heard good things about him. 

Just watched the dynamite from Chicago. Fair play to punk for taking his first defeat in Chicago. 

Seems the only person aew fans hated more than cody till he left was brandi. Even dan Lambert got cheers over her.  As for cody leaving. He was getting very irritating.  But I do love aew and it wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him. Had there been a show in England I would probably cheer him just for that. And he did have some great matches. 

I find it pretty surreal her last moment in AEW was Dan Lambert telling her how nobody wants her around in a ring.

Cesaro's contract with WWE came to an end. Will Tony really sign another guy just for the initial debut pop? He's just signed Keith Lee and Matthews. It seems as if WWE are completely satisfied in helping create a bloated AEW roster. Wrestlers in AEW will start becoming unsatisfied with their positions 

1 hour ago, 6666 said:

Cesaro's contract with WWE came to an end. Will Tony really sign another guy just for the initial debut pop? He's just signed Keith Lee and Matthews. It seems as if WWE are completely satisfied in helping create a bloated AEW roster. Wrestlers in AEW will start becoming unsatisfied with their positions 

I think they are trimming it a bit. I've said before I think they have two many wrestlers. Obviously you need some guys to make the other guys look good but they have two many I think. 

16 hours ago, 6666 said:

Tony Khan chucking that Buddy Matthews toy back in the toy box in record time.

For AEW Cesaro makes sense. He'll look like a giant over there, he has name value and a connection due to his time on the indies. He'll be a great teacher to some of the other very green people they have on TV too.

That said I don't think he will be anything more than somebody who elevates people to the main event scene. I liked The Bar and his James Bond stuff but he's not very relatable as a talent. Out of all the guys Vince doesn't see it with Robert Roode would be a better grab in that regard.

As a viewer I'd rather see Cesaro in NJPW. He'd have some killer matches over there with the Strong Style and they can play on him being an international athlete as opposed to the generic little American.

6 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Of all the people to suggest he's turned the corner and become a bad ass I don't think Evil Uno is it 

Fair enough but it was still a statement. 

Anyway what a dynamite a few weeks ago. Keith lee and Jay white debut, Moxley teams with cm punk, inner circle almost break up and a world title match followed by setting up the next challenger.