talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wrestling

football forum

2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Should I explain it for you or were you just being a dickhead? Can be hard to tell on the net, even as a pro dickhead.

Let me guess. You're watching it for the entertainment? 

9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

So basically Wrestling is the Reality Television of Sports? 

Yep. It works well mostly as well. Imagine a sport where the games are always entertaining, the teams the people love always win (eventually) the villains are comically dastardly and the narratives are fresh and fun. 

This is all ideally of course. It's also the only sport where being more talented than your opponent means fuck all if you're booked to lose all the time, and it's run by a maniac billionaire who has almost zero connection to what the people actually want.

The good with the bad

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Got tickets for The Undertaker's first live show in London :banana:

Nice! When's that? I'd love to see him live. That dummmmmmmmm when his music hits.. iconic.

Edited by JOSHBRFC

Crown Jewel was special tbh. It is the strangest PPV I have ever seen. Vince is a BRAVE man.

The world cup matches up until the final were fine, some were even good. All the boxes got ticked and there were some unexpectedly clean finishes. The US title pre show match was good and New day vs the Bar was by the numbers but good. Nothing special, but nothing bad so far.

AND THEN

Brock Lesnar beat Strowman in about 5 minutes. 0 german suplexes. 0 offence from Strowman. Just 2 f5s. An f5 from the ring to the floor, then 2 more f5s. Brock lesnar is the universal champion. I didn't like the idea of the belt going on Strowman, so I popped huge and had a big fucking laugh, my friends and I were shocked.  What a brave fucking decision. The nuclear heat on the bookers right now is unreal. We thought that would be the 1 huge misdirection talking point of the night. Boi. We were wrong.

In the best in the world final the Miz faced Ziggler. McIntyre was sent to the back before the match and the Miz started beating the shit out of Ziggler before the bell rang. Then, while jumping off the apron to the floor, the Miz injured his leg so bad he couldn't stand. The Miz. The guy who has never missed a match to injury, got keyfabe injured. The ref was about to award Ziggler a no contest win, when Shane McMahon, stepped in, replaced the Miz for the final, and beat Ziggler in 2 minutes to become the BEST IN THE WORLDxDxD It's actually an in joke amongst me and my mates that Shane is the best wrestler of all time, because he gets so many wins and so many big wrestlemania spots, but fuck me it was so bad it was funny. This is sharknado level shit. Shane o mac, who I love, and is one of the few attitude era guys who can still move, is the best in the world. Fuck me. Not even a wrestler. The balls on this company.

The old men vs the old men was shit, it was always going to be shit, this fued would have been legendary 20 years ago, nostalgic 10 years ago and should have been impossible 5 years ago. Undertaker and Michaels can barely move. Kane and Tripps are part timers in a big way and are well on their last legs. This is a travesty tbh, and the fact this went on after the title matches an insult to the modern wrestling group of guys who work week in and out. 

• Upvote 1

I'm trying not to judge the company's booking standards on the last two pay per views, even though I should, because I would like to think that the company want to head in another direction. I truly hope their thought process has been hindered by what would appeal more the Saudi audience. Which is an emphasis on 90's stars.

The whole concept of the World Cup was a joke, just like the 'greatest' Royal Rumble to everybody outside of Saudi Arabia. Surely Vince and co are not stupid enough to think the concepts would be taken seriously elsewhere.

What really worries me is that Brock Lesnar after his bollocks 500 day reign is Champion again. That to me suggests that Vince has no faith in any of the full timers to lead the show.

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I'm trying not to judge the company's booking standards on the last two pay per views, even though I should, because I would like to think that the company want to head in another direction. I truly hope their thought process has been hindered by what would appeal more the Saudi audience. Which is an emphasis on 90's stars.

The whole concept of the World Cup was a joke, just like the 'greatest' Royal Rumble to everybody outside of Saudi Arabia. Surely Vince and co are not stupid enough to think the concepts would be taken seriously elsewhere.

What really worries me is that Brock Lesnar after his bollocks 500 day reign is Champion again. That to me suggests that Vince has no faith in any of the full timers to lead the show.

I think he has faith in a few of them, but not Strowman.

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I was hopeing for the other way round.

Understandable, but that's a very stale narrative. The Miz vs Bryan feud we had already was medium. They had a decent summerslam match, but it didn't quite hit the heights those 2 are capable of. Their HIAC match was ruined by their talentless wives being the key narrative and then the first match they got that actually had any real reward other than bragging rights was a 2 minute sqiub. Bad booking for sure, but it left things open, and I for one am excited that instead of getting more of the same we could get something no one would have predicted.

Also, until this moment byrans whole comback has been stale as fuck. After his big mania comeback match, he beat big cass a bunch, did team hell no for 2 matches and then contributed nothing other than whining and complaining during the miz feud. If he wasn't over as fuck because of his past achievements people would be more wise to the fact that he's had a dull and unimpactful year. He needed this, and by all reports, he knew it. It was Bryan who pushed for the heel turn.

I am actually very curious to see how his survivor series match with Lesnar pans out. It's very unlikely that they have a clean match, though if they do I'd tip Lesnar. Strowman could interfere and cost Brock the match Styles could interfere and fuck with Bryan or Heyman could even turn on Lesnar and manage Bryan. Though I doubt it.

On 16/11/2018 at 03:18, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Understandable, but that's a very stale narrative. The Miz vs Bryan feud we had already was medium. They had a decent summerslam match, but it didn't quite hit the heights those 2 are capable of. Their HIAC match was ruined by their talentless wives being the key narrative and then the first match they got that actually had any real reward other than bragging rights was a 2 minute sqiub. Bad booking for sure, but it left things open, and I for one am excited that instead of getting more of the same we could get something no one would have predicted.

Also, until this moment byrans whole comback has been stale as fuck. After his big mania comeback match, he beat big cass a bunch, did team hell no for 2 matches and then contributed nothing other than whining and complaining during the miz feud. If he wasn't over as fuck because of his past achievements people would be more wise to the fact that he's had a dull and unimpactful year. He needed this, and by all reports, he knew it. It was Bryan who pushed for the heel turn.

I am actually very curious to see how his survivor series match with Lesnar pans out. It's very unlikely that they have a clean match, though if they do I'd tip Lesnar. Strowman could interfere and cost Brock the match Styles could interfere and fuck with Bryan or Heyman could even turn on Lesnar and manage Bryan. Though I doubt it.

I thought there initial feud was more of a teaser for a much bigger match down the line at Wrestle Mania that could be hyped as the end of a feud expanding almost nine years (i know that's not factually correct but that's how it will be hyped). So with that in mind I wasn't too overly bothered with how it ended. I'm more bothered at how watered down they made the Styles feuds with Joe and Nakamura.

I get the narrative is stale to a degree but the WWE have historically been good at building their Wrestle Mania matches so they have a story telling purpose of their own. Undertaker being undefeated all those years, a Roman / Brock rematch three years later, The Rock Vs. Stone Cold regularly etc. Having the story of the guy that lost in 15 seconds, to winning the title at Wrestle Mania 30 as the most over superstar since the attitude era, to making a come back at Wrestle Mania 35, would culminate that whole story. Plus, once he's achieved that at WM35, people would gradually turn off him like they naturally do and a heel turn would work.

The one person who could really gain from this if it's played out well is AJ Styles. If they go for a Miz / Bryan culmination at Royal Rumble that leaves the spot open for him to claim back the title as the super face of the brand at Wrestle Mania.

I do agree that it's set up an intriguing scenario at Survivor Series. Would they let Brock destroy a fresh new heel? How the are they going to make Bryan compete about somebody ten times his size? Will AJ or Brawn get involved? How do they spin this where two new champions still keep their momentum?

I would want the miz to hold the title for longer than rumble - mania. Maybe TLC instead, with the rematch being the rumble. 

There are piles of guys who deserve a top championship run right now. Balor and joe are good examples. But the Miz has waited, with the patience of a saint, since 2011. He has improved every year to the point where he's been the best talker in the company for ages, and is a top in ring performer as well. He was wrestler of the year in 2017. No one deserves it more, but he's been a classic case of being 'too good for promotion' The guy elevates the mid card and the midcard titles so much they're loathe to put the top belt on him. It seems like finally he'll have his chance. And at 38, he needs it sooner than later. Even Ziggler who the WWE hates for some reason has been a multi time world champ.

The Miz is definitely the winner of the brand split followed by Strowman. I'm not sure I see him as the long term guy after Wrestle Mania. That's said, a lot can change in four months. Look at Becky Lynch now. Wow.

Regarding the other candidates I only really see Daniel Bryan and AJ Styles as guys capable of holding the World Title on Smackdown. Nakamura has been ruined as a heel, Orton could be a worthy challenger but I don't see him as a title holder, Rey and Jeff would be two steps backwards, whilst Joe has had title opportunities recently.

What I would like to see happen with the next brand split is Rollins and Balor come to Smackdown. They're not going to get opportunities on Raw with the emphasis being on larger than life men. Rollins in particular looks ready to carry a brand whilst Balor needs a fresh approach to remind people exactly how good he is.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, forgot to put my views on Survivor Series out there. I'd give it a 7/10. 

- Fans are very predictable. They only seem to get behind a woman when she violently beat  someone.

- I can't believe they preach about being anti bullying then they'd have a grown man piss himself. 

- The Daniel Bryan / Brock Lesner stuff just felt weird now Bryan's turned all dark.

- I can get behind Strowman destroying everybody, but it was weird seeing two recent TNA guys come across like they're on top of the mountain together. 

- The Cruiserweights are a great way to break up a PPV.

- I'm glad they let Rollins and Nakamura have freedom to put on a good match.

- Nia Jax blowing her knuckles and then smiling was a good way to get heat the first time but after about the sixth time she just showed how dull and unimaginative she is.

The idea that Raw would be better after Reigns had to leave doesn't seem to have worked out... Raw was never consistently good since the brand split but now it's completely dead. The main event scene doesn't exist, they've turned Seth/Ambrose into a joke with Ambrose's main character obesession being germs, the tag team division has always been treated like it was nothing on Raw, the women's division has Rousey who is interesting but only as an extension to Becky and Charlotte. So with all their divisions being flat, they've decided to build the show around Baron Corbin... who was sorf of decent as The Lone Wolf but hasn't been enetertaining at all as the main authority figure.