talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wrestling

football forum

7 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Yes. Cody would be up against not only Brawn and The Fiend (who crrative would prefer anyway) but also AJ Styles, Daniel Bryan, The Miz, John Morrison, Cesaro, Nakamura, Sheamus and Jeff Hardy. A lot of solid B level players there and Cody will slot somewhere in the middle.

Miz, Morrison, Sheamus, Cesaro, Nakamura and Jeff Hardy aren't that big of a deal currently. No one cares what they get up to anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Watching SummerSlam. So far it's been God awful. I won't spoil it if anyone is watching it on delay but what has happened to Seth Rollins to be having turgid matches with rookies?! Snore. 

I recorded smackdown this week to see the reigns heel turn. Do you think they will keep him heel for a short time then turn him face again like they did with the rock or have they given up on him as the face of the company? 

• 2 weeks later...

G1 

A block
* Jay White 4 points (2-0)
* Taichi 4 points (2-0)
* Will Ospreay 4 points (2-0)
* Kota Ibushi 2 points (1-1)
* Minoru Suzuki 2 points (1-1)
* Kazuchika Okada 2 points (1-1)
* Jeff Cobb 2 points (1-1)
* Yujiro Takahashi 0 points (0-2)
* Tomohiro Ishii 0 points (0-2)
* Shingo Takagi 0 points (0-2)

B block
* Tetsuya Naito 4 points (2-0)
* Toru Yano 4 points (2-0)
* Juice Robinson 4 points (2-0)
* Zack Sabre Jr. 2 points (1-1)
* KENTA 2 points (1-1)
* Hirooki Goto 2 points (1-1)
* EVIL 2 points (1-1)
* YOSHI-HASHI 0 points (0-2)
* SANADA 0 points (0-2)
* Hiroshi Tanahashi 0 points (0-2)

Some awesome matches so far. 

• Administrator

On the flip side, heel Rollins is a bit dull I find. He was a much better baby face but it's clear it rather ran out of steam. Initially the Monday night messiah was an interesting gimmick, but he'd have been better off being an anti-hero than a full on heel. 

On 29/09/2020 at 19:32, Batard said:

On the flip side, heel Rollins is a bit dull I find. He was a much better baby face but it's clear it rather ran out of steam. Initially the Monday night messiah was an interesting gimmick, but he'd have been better off being an anti-hero than a full on heel. 

He forced his own hand by being a massive douche. His position as a face became untenable

Meanwhile, in the land of actually good wrestling 

G1 standings. 

Block A Block B
Taichi 6 Tetsuya Naito 6
Jay White 6 Toru Yano 6
Will Ospreay 6 Juice Robinson 6
Minoru Suzuki 6 Kenta 4
Kota Ibushi 6 Zack Sabre Jr. 4
Kazuchika Okada 4 Evil 4
Shingo Takagi 2 Hiroshi Tanahashi 4
Tomohiro Ishii 2 Yoshi-Hashi 2
Jeff Cobb 2 Hirooki Goto 2
Yujiro Takahashi 0 Sanada 2

@Devil-Dick Willie @The Palace Fan so coming up to a year of aew not including the ppvs before dynamite. What do you think of the first year? Overall I think it has been good. There were some times where I thought it was going to get a bit boring and stale but then they signed some new wrestlers and it got better. I think the womens division needs work and one thing I have noticed is the lack of face turns. MJF turned face for a bit from heel but for the most part the heels have stayed heels. I think the tag team division is good. Best match of the year for me was young bucks v page and omega. 

I've been overall mildly disappointed. I'd place it just beneath NXT in terms of overall quality and my enjoyment of it. My favorite match would be Cody VS Dustin or the Escalera de la muerte match. 

They never gave me the 'sports based presentation" they promised. The tag division is a bit of a mess, the woman's division is a mess, and the singles have been underwhelming, with mox being an underwhelming champion. 

7 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I've been overall mildly disappointed. I'd place it just beneath NXT in terms of overall quality and my enjoyment of it. My favorite match would be Cody VS Dustin or the Escalera de la muerte match. 

They never gave me the 'sports based presentation" they promised. The tag division is a bit of a mess, the woman's division is a mess, and the singles have been underwhelming, with mox being an underwhelming champion. 

Fair enough. I supposed the tag team division isnt that great actually when I think about it. Although it has got better. I still think though aew has been enjoyable. It seems like they are getting everything out of their wrestlers. I mean wwe clearly have a better roster and should be doing much better where as in reality from most reports it is nxt which is the best brand. Maybe aew should try to poach more Japanese tag teams? The cruserwight division shorly has to be a positive though? A lot of the matches have bee  very good at that weight. The womens division really does need work. I think more interpromotianal stuff would be a good idea. There are some good female wrestlers but even someone like me who hasn't watched wrestling for years can notice some of the botches. Moxley needs to evolve a bit I think. He hasn't changed his gimmick at all over the year and he does need to evolve it a bit to keep it interesting. 

17 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Devil-Dick Willie @The Palace Fan so coming up to a year of aew not including the ppvs before dynamite. What do you think of the first year? Overall I think it has been good. There were some times where I thought it was going to get a bit boring and stale but then they signed some new wrestlers and it got better. I think the womens division needs work and one thing I have noticed is the lack of face turns. MJF turned face for a bit from heel but for the most part the heels have stayed heels. I think the tag team division is good. Best match of the year for me was young bucks v page and omega. 

I've enjoyed it. They've been fairly criticised at times (last episode of 2019, Matt Hardy's concussion, Riho as Champion etc) but on the whole they've done well. In Jericho and Mox they have had the right World Champions and they've created a platform for ex-WWE talent like Brodie Lee to showcase whilst giving their own talent an opportunity to thrive (MJF, Darby Allin, Orange Cassidy). The tag team divison in particular has been very enjoyable and is a USP in comparison to competitors. Theyve done well to avoid the company being a Kenny and Young Bucks love in but I think the former is being underutilised.

The biggest complaint is the women's divison but they've had an element of bad luck with injuries after starting off in the wrong direction. It will get there. With Swole, Statlander, Nyla Rose, Shida, Diamante, Ivelisse and Thunder Rosa there's enough talent to work with.

Overall I'm optimistic for the future. Hopefully they'll settle on their roster for a bit as opposed to signing everyone Twitter wants them to.

Block A Block B
Kota Ibushi 14 Evil 12
Will Ospreay 12 Tetsuya Naito 12
Jay White 12 Sanada 12
Kazuchika Okada 12 Kenta 10
Taichi 8 Zack Sabre Jr. 10
Jeff Cobb 8 Juice Robinson 8
Tomohiro Ishii 8 Hiroshi Tanahashi 8
Shingo Takagi 8 Hirooki Goto 8
Minoru Suzuki 6 Toru Yano 6
Yujiro Takahashi 2 Yoshi-Hashi 4

Sanada defeated Naito and Evil therefore goes through on tie breakers! Sanada and Ibushi will met tomorrow night to decide who will main even wrestle kingdom.