talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cricket

football forum

• Administrator

wtf

Armed officers at the Oval

Reports now that armed police have arrived at the Oval. A crossbow arrow is believed to have been fired into the ground from outside and landed about two strips away from the wicket where Surrey and Middlesex were playing. All spectators have been ordered indoors.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

can't say much because corruption in the hierarchy of Indian cricket has been rife for years but more Pakistani crickets have been banned or sanctioned due to spot-fixing or being linked to it

Pakistan batsman Khalid Latif has been banned from cricket for five years for his part in a spot-fixing ring.

A Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) tribunal handed down the punishment after finding Latif guilty of all charges at a hearing on Wednesday,

The PCB has been conducting a long-running investigation into corruption in the Twenty20 Pakistan Super League.

Latif, 31, has played five one-day internationals and 13 Twenty20 internationals for Pakistan.

He was fined one million Pakistan rupees (£7,020) after being found guilty of fixing or taking a bribe to underperform, failing to disclose corrupt approaches and soliciting players into corrupt acts.

Fellow Islamabad United batsman Sharjeel Khan was also bannedfor five years last month, with two and a half years of his ban suspended.

Spot-fixing is where the outcome of a particular passage of play is pre-determined, as opposed to fixing the outcome of a match.

All-rounder Mohammad Nawaz and seamer Mohammad Irfan have also been sanctioned as part of the inquiry after they failed to report suspicious approaches.

A number of other players have also been questioned or suspended while the inquiry is carried out.

Britain's National Crime Agency provided the initial intelligence that led to the PCB investigation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41332472

• Administrator

anyone seen the Stokes incident/footage?

Throws numerous punches even when being helped by Hales to calm down and hold back. The guy came at him with a bottle but even when he was 'unarmed', Stokes carried on.

Now, if someone came at me with a bottle I'd be raging and would throw a few myself back at him. But he seemed to continue, drunkenly of course, even when the other guy seemed to back off or back down. Any random member of the public would be looking at jail most likely for GBH. Can't help but think Stokes will get away scot-free (maybe a fine or suspended sentence). No doubt he'll be omitted from the Ashes though I reckon. 

I can sympathise with him a bit here because I've seen the devastation a glass bottle can cause. 

It's not something I've posted about before because I try and keep things private on here but also because I'm not really looking for attention or sympathy and because it sounds a bit bullshitty, though I can assure you it's not. 

In June, a 71 year-old relative was smashed over the head with a bottle in a bar for allegedly bumping into someone at the bar (he didn't and CCTV has proven it). The bouncer of the bar threw the 48 year-old out and upon trying to apprehend him, the 48 year-old still had the neck of the bottle in his hand and he stabbed a 39 year-old relative with it, what I thought at the time was his neck. I've genuinely never seen as much blood as that and I honestly thought we were going to lose him and it turns out that we weren't far from it, the police were panicking and urging the ambulance to hurry up at one point. 

Attacking people with a weapon, or even threatening to, is awful and I can totally understand the anger it would cause and I'm quite glad the lad(s) got a bit of a pasting whilst also being disarmed.

In this Stokes' case, I don't know how much he can get away with as 'defending himself' because once the attacker has become unarmed and the weapon is at a "safe" (that's a subjective term) distance away from everyone, I'm not sure how much he'll be able to use as a defence. 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I can sympathise with him a bit here because I've seen the devastation a glass bottle can cause. 

It's not something I've posted about before because I try and keep things private on here but also because I'm not really looking for attention or sympathy and because it sounds a bit bullshitty, though I can assure you it's not. 

In June, a 71 year-old relative was smashed over the head with a bottle in a bar for allegedly bumping into someone at the bar (he didn't and CCTV has proven it). The bouncer of the bar threw the 48 year-old out and upon trying to apprehend him, the 48 year-old still had the neck of the bottle in his hand and he stabbed a 39 year-old relative with it, what I thought at the time was his neck. I've genuinely never seen as much blood as that and I honestly thought we were going to lose him and it turns out that we weren't far from it, the police were panicking and urging the ambulance to hurry up at one point. 

Attacking people with a weapon, or even threatening to, is awful and I can totally understand the anger it would cause and I'm quite glad the lad(s) got a bit of a pasting whilst also being disarmed.

In this Stokes' case, I don't know how much he can get away with as 'defending himself' because once the attacker has become unarmed and the weapon is at a "safe" (that's a subjective term) distance away from everyone, I'm not sure how much he'll be able to use as a defence. 

bit in bold was I was trying to aim at, too. Whilst I can appreciate the danger and threat a bottle can cause, there's a time where Stokes could have stopped in his own attack. Especially when trying to be held back. Obviously being drunk didn't help! (not saying you can't ever be drunk but certainly influenced his own actions no doubt). 

On 20/09/2017 at 5:34 PM, Stan said:

can't say much because corruption in the hierarchy of Indian cricket has been rife for years but more Pakistani crickets have been banned or sanctioned due to spot-fixing or being linked to it

We don't have the money and power to hide it/keep it quiet like you guys :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • The topic was pinned
2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Breaking, India are shithouse away from home and Virat is a melt.

Nothing new its all the same with our batting.  We play a lot of home series and in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh just to pad up the stats of our "world class batsmen" who cant really perform on a decent wicket. 

PS: Cricket has gone to dogs after the T20 format came in and the inclusion of IPL killed any left over enjoyment in this sport.

• Administrator

England's Ben Stokes sold for almost £1.4m in the Indian Premier League auction but Test captain Joe Root went unsold in the first round of bidding.

Stokes, who was named the most valuable player last year following a £1.7m contract with Rising Pune Supergiant, has joined Rajasthan Royals.

"Ben is a cricketer of today and a cricketer of the future," said Royals chief executive Ranjit Barthakur.

Chris Woakes fetched £820,000 from Royal Challengers Banglaore.

Other England cricketers to be purchased included one-day opening batsman Jason Roy (£165,000) and spinning all-rounder Moeen Ali (£187,000). They join Delhi Daredevils and Royal Challengers respectively.

Stokes, 28, is due to appear at Bristol Magistrates' Court on 13 February charged with affray after an incident outside a Bristol nightclub in September, but has been given permission by the ECB to continue playing cricket while he waits for his court case.

He will line up alongside Australia captain Steve Smith (£1.38m), but Root was one of three big-name players to go unsold in the early rounds of bidding - the others being West Indies' Chris Gayle and South Africa's Hashim Amla.

The auction will continue into Sunday in Bengaluru, with a total of 578 players available for purchase by the eight franchises.

Eighteen players have already been retained by the teams, including India captain Kohli, former skipper MS Dhoni and South Africa batsman AB De Villiers.

Australia fast bowler Mitchell Starc (£1.04m) and big-hitting batsman Chris Lynn (£1.06m) attracted big bids while India batsman KL Rahul cost King's XI Punjab £1.2m.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42843481

• The topic was unpinned
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Looks legit. 

I know you're messing haha but it gets worse - coach and other player (Handscomb) involved too after seeing the incident.

DZDtQJBWkAA8hdy.jpg

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

I know you're messing haha but it gets worse - coach and other player (Handscomb) involved too after seeing the incident.

DZDtQJBWkAA8hdy.jpg

Ridiculous. Why do we need to do this? Is it because Lehmann is pissed at the cunty crowd? Our cricket team are never far from controversy.