talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cricket

football forum

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

Also even weirder, 'wog' is a term of pride

Yet when I grew up in Australia a lot of Australians would call Italians wogs if I remember right, the word Pome (Pommie) to an Australian means Prisoner of Mother England where prisoners were sent from England to colonise Australia many moons ago, one way I got an Aussie upset when he called me a bloody Pommie bastard when I was out there I would reply at least my great grandfather was not a fucking convict, I got in many a punch up in them days but it's not as bad nowadays out there so I am told by family who have lived there since the late '50s. 

These rained off games really make cricket look dumb. Sri Lanka have 2 points from 1 win and 2 extra points from 2 games they didn't play. xD

Have no idea if they would've won or lost those games but it really hurts the credibility of the tournament. 

1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

Yet when I grew up in Australia a lot of Australians would call Italians wogs if I remember right, the word Pome (Pommie) to an Australian means Prisoner of Mother England where prisoners were sent from England to colonise Australia many moons ago, one way I got an Aussie upset when he called me a bloody Pommie bastard when I was out there I would reply at least my great grandfather was not a fucking convict, I got in many a punch up in them days but it's not as bad nowadays out there so I am told by family who have lived there since the late '50s. 

Nah, that is an urban myth (or at the very least for me). It means 'pomegranate' because you lot go red and white in the sun! Well, the times have changed, Italian, Greek, and all the other 'wog' types are fully assimilated into the culture and are considered as Australian as the wattle. I was reading a satirical article the other day, that joked that recipients of racial abuse of yesterday are the abusers of today! xD Meaning that the Italians and Greeks that were abused in the 60s and 70s are the ones that go about hating on the new immigrants. I never saw much of this stuff, most of the near blues I got into at the pubs were with Scotts or Irish that obviously had chips on their shoulder's.

2 minutes ago, 6666 said:

These rained off games really make cricket look dumb. Sri Lanka have 2 points from 1 win and 2 extra points from 2 games they didn't play. xD

Have no idea if they would've won or lost those games but it really hurts the credibility of the tournament. 

Not really, the game can't be played in the rain.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

The rain plays a significant part in determining points by making sure the games aren't even played. Whenever things aren't determined by teams competing against each other then it definitely does hurt the credibility of the competition.

I think that's our tournament done and dusted. 

The baggage of history and the disparity between the two teams is too much for us to beat India this time around.

Might as well have one more match rained off as well and with the run rate we have the chance for the fourth place isn't gonna happen 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Spike said:

2 minutes ago, 6666 said:

The rain plays a significant part in determining points by making sure the games aren't even played. Whenever things aren't determined by teams competing against each other then it definitely does hurt the credibility of the competition

It makes you wonder why don't they play games like this in a stadium that has a retractable roof covering?

• Subscriber

14 minutes ago, Stick With Azeem said:

I think that's our tournament done and dusted. 

The baggage of history and the disparity between the two teams is too much for us to beat India this time around.

Might as well have one more match rained off as well and with the run rate we have the chance for the fourth place isn't gonna happen 

You never know @Stick With Azeem, football can be a funny old game and so can cricket be, England are favourites so I do believe but anything can happen.

1158325836_download(7).thumb.png.abb1005d02e10592c61f154a5a165151.png

Edited by CaaC (John)
Spelling corrections

• Administrator
1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

Funny old world we live in nowadays @Spike, the Aussies can call the English Poms and the Americans call them Limey's yet it's classed as racial if we say Paki for a Pakistan.  

Paki was the term given to people of Asian origin back in the 70/80s by the far right skinheads. Not just to people of Pakistani origins - basically anyone with brown skin got labelled a Paki. So yes, it is a racial term that shouldn't be used. 

It makes you wonder why don't they play games like this in a stadium that has a retractable roof covering?

Think there was a trial game once in an indoor arena but wasn't that much of a success. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, 6666 said:

Doesn't make it look dumb at all. Don't think credibility is affected either. Cricket doesn't work in the rain and it's just fair for each side that they don't lose points but gain 1 each. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Doesn't make it look dumb at all. Don't think credibility is affected either. Cricket doesn't work in the rain and it's just fair for each side that they don't lose points but gain 1 each. 

If anything other than competition affects the results then I consider that to be a negative affect on credibility. It might be how cricket has to be and that's unfortunate but the point still stands. Don't know if there's any sort of way to avoid games being abandoned, don't think I've ever seen a cricket match being played in a stadium with a roof on it.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Paki was the term given to people of Asian origin back in the 70/80s by the far right skinheads. Not just to people of Pakistani origins - basically anyone with brown skin got labelled a Paki. So yes, it is a racial term that shouldn't be used. 

Ahh, now I know.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Think there was a trial game once in an indoor arena but wasn't that much of a success. 

Strange that the Welsh National Stadium has a closed roof facility and you would think something as big as the Cricket World Cup series would have been ideal playing there because of the weather.  

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, 6666 said:

If anything other than competition affects the results then I consider that to be a negative affect on credibility. It might be how cricket has to be and that's unfortunate but the point still stands. Don't know if there's any sort of way to avoid games being abandoned, don't think I've ever seen a cricket match being played in a stadium with a roof on it.

The only other option would be to have reserve days for this kind of tournament so if there is a day of rain to wash out a game, it can be played the next day. Lots of logistical issues with ticket availability and venue availability that comes with that, though. And with the current format, it wouldn't work because there's too many games. Unless the format changed (to something like a group format (2 groups of 5 etc, top 2 go through to a semi-final/final)) then it'd free up a lot of days spare. 

10 hours ago, 6666 said:

I can see where you are coming from, i think one team who actually works hard in the field to tie the game and the other team just sits in the dressing room and doesn't play at all but both get the same points is stupid.

And it does question the credibility of the tournament because sometimes teams will be happy with an abandoned match because it will be point gained from what could have been a potential loss. That's essentially shying away from competition which sports is all about.

Edited by Stick With Azeem

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, Spike said:

Can someone please tell me some whites have the tipped v? No one has ever been able to answer

I am a bit lost with the question really if that picture is of Australian International Cricketers it could mean they play for Victoria, a State in Australia as they do have State matches out in kangaroo land i.e Victoria v New South Wales, I could be wrong though? 

I am a bit lost with the question really if that picture is of Australian International Cricketers it could mean they play for Victoria, a State in Australia as they do have State matches out in kangaroo land i.e Victoria v New South Wales, I could be wrong though? 

It it the v shaped collar around the jumper I am curious about. I’ve seen teams play that only one or two players have a jumper with the dyed collar, as opposed to all white

https://www.thestatesman.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Ricky-Ponting.jpg

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Spike said:

It it the v shaped collar around the jumper I am curious about. I’ve seen teams play that only one or two players have a jumper with the dyed collar, as opposed to all white

https://www.thestatesman.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Ricky-Ponting.jpg

That photo looks like the former Australian captain Ricky Ponting? but saying that it depends what cricket jumper you like, V neck or whatever

Edit. I was right, that was Ricky Ponting, the name came under when I Googled it lol, one of the great Australian (former) captains of years gone by, not like the shitty Aussie captains nowadays.    

7_Bede_s_Prep_Cricket_Jumper_27_2048x204

Edited by CaaC (John)

23 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

That photo looks like the former Australian captain Ricky Ponting? but saying that it depends what cricket jumper you like, V neck or whatever

Edit. I was right, that was Ricky Ponting, the name came under when I Googled it lol, one of the great Australian (former) captains of years gone by, not like the shitty Aussie captains nowadays.    

7_Bede_s_Prep_Cricket_Jumper_27_2048x204

Ponting was a shit captain. McGrath and Warnie set their own fields, so no points for him there tactically. His favourite field change was the classic 'put a fielder where the batsman just hit it' trap. Chasing the game, never dictating it.

Great batsman though