talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cricket

football forum

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Every now and then you get a Test like this which shows why it's important to keep the 5 day format. 

From what I've seen in this series (and plenty of other Tests as well) is that they've been more exciting than T20s/ODIs I've watched as well. 

Gripping and pulsating!

• Administrator

Okay is Paine taking the piss xDxD 

Steve Smith did not deliberately scuff up the crease during the final day of the third Test against India on Monday, says Australia captain Tim Paine.

Former captain Smith was seen on the stump camera scraping the crease with his boot during a drinks break.

He was criticised on social media, with suggestions he was removing the India batsmen's guard - the marks used to guide where they stand.

"He was certainly not changing a guard," Paine said.

"I imagine if he was, the India players would have kicked up a bit of a stink at the time.

"As we know, he has those many Steve Smith quirks - one of those is he is always marking centre."

India batted out a tense final day to salvage a draw, ensuring the series remained level at 1-1 going into the final Test in Brisbane, which starts on Friday.

Smith, who was sacked as captain in 2018 following the ball-tampering scandal, was seen shadow batting and then scuffing the crease with his boots. When India batsman Rishabh Pant returned to the crease, he had to ask the umpire for his guard again.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan described the incident as "very, very poor".

"He (Smith) is disappointed with the way it has come across," Paine said.

"That is something he does every single game, five or six times per day. He likes to walk up to where he bats and visualise where he is going to play.

"Yesterday you could see him up there playing a couple shots as left-hander as if where he wanted Lyon (Australia spinner Nathan Lyon) to pitch the ball. It is one of his mannerisms."

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Hope India can bat well here and retain, win or draw. Australia have had a sickening amount of luck. 

Reckon rain might help us out. With how many injuries we've got I wouldn't mind, despite wanting to watch as much cricket as possible. 

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Can Nohit Sharma just one time focus and stay on for a century instead of looking sublime into the 40s and getting himself out? 

Yep. Take a leaf out of Pujara's book! Saw highlights just now and some shots were fine like the straight/cover drives but the ball he got out to looked so needless. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Reckon rain might help us out. With how many injuries we've got I wouldn't mind, despite wanting to watch as much cricket as possible. 

Yep. Take a leaf out of Pujara's book! Saw highlights just now and some shots were fine like the straight/cover drives but the ball he got out to looked so needless. 

Sharma is so naturally gifted, but just doesn't have the temperament for test cricket IMO. Opener is probably the best spot to have a dude who consistently faces 70 deliveries and scores 40 runs however. Well, that or number 7. 

I hope there's rain on Monday, so damn much. Match drawn, India retain. 

• Administrator

Pujara sadly out but for the past half hour, commentators have been banging on about bowling short to him and bounce him out. Hazelwood keeps his line and length and eventually gets the wicket. Almost as if the bowlers know what they're doing... 

• Administrator

Could be a very competitive end to this game and the series then. India all-out for 336 which is decent and was good to see our lower order put up a good stand. 

Not sure what Australia will be comfortable with in terms of total to set. Do they go all out for 2 and a bit sessions and give themselves a day and a bit to bowl us out? 

16 hours ago, Stan said:

Could be a very competitive end to this game and the series then. India all-out for 336 which is decent and was good to see our lower order put up a good stand. 

Not sure what Australia will be comfortable with in terms of total to set. Do they go all out for 2 and a bit sessions and give themselves a day and a bit to bowl us out? 

I think the plan for Australia was to set a 300+ lead at/before/just after dinner and then give themselves the time to bowl out india. However, 2 big factors

1. They're 4 down with a 180 lead. Next wicket exposes Paine and the bowlers

2. The rain forecast

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I think the plan for Australia was to set a 300+ lead at/before/just after dinner and then give themselves the time to bowl out india. However, 2 big factors

1. They're 4 down with a 180 lead. Next wicket exposes Paine and the bowlers

2. The rain forecast

328 to win then! Your tail adding 50 gives them an edge. 

Apparently rain might not play a big a part as Australia thought, with most of it falling overnight now after tonight is done.

Highest successful chase here is 236. Think like last test match it'll be playing for the draw and bat til the end as opposed to going out and chasing 328 unless it's actually within sight to get. Be good if Pujara and Pant can do their thing if they're in together. 

A draw it will be I think. There'll be rain tomorrow. Openers just gotta see off the new ball, Pujara and Rahane gotta drop anchor and let the Gills and Pants get the runs if the weather stays dry. 

If no rain tomorrow just focus on not losing silly wickets until tea. After tea, if you're within 150 and feel like you've got the wickets, go for it. 

• Upvote 1