• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cricket

football forum

• Administrator
15 hours ago, McAzeem said:

What the Fakhar !

15 hours ago, McAzeem said:

Great game nicely balanced for the decider. SA Pak ODI series have been entertaining last few years. 

That was some knock from Fakhar! Not often someone nearly scores a double ton and still loses the game. Looks like he didn't have much support to successfully chase. 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

A lot of investigations by ECB in to their players and historical social media posts.

Ollie Robinson obviously the documented at the moment for racist/sexist/misogynistic tweets 9 years ago.

Allegedly Craig Overton for telling a Pakistani player while at Somerset 'to go back to your own country'.

Allegedly Buttler/Morgan for mocking, on Instagram, how Indian people speak.

And this morning they're investigating other instances of historical comments.

They've set the precedent with the Robinson incident. Suspending him from all cricket, however this is more so they can continue to 'investigate'. Michael Holding made a good and valid point yesterday; these are historical - if he has changed his ways, apologised, educated himself and matured since he was younger, should he continue to be banned/suspended? I agree when he says we all make mistakes when we're younger but if we can show we can learn from those lessons, why not give him second chances? Some of the above are instances when they were a teenager, when they probably didn't know better at all and still learning. I think the ECB have some very big decisions to make. It'd be a huge call to replace Robinson for Overton in the upcoming next test against NZ. 

What do others think of this whole scenario?  

On one hand it seems a bit rich, I don’t know what cricket is like but footballing authorities are terrible at dealing with racism/sexism/homophobia to the point that they are just encouraging it and yet if they find something from a player when they were a kid they’ll give them a ban.

On the other hand Ollie Robinson was 18 when he made that post, I read a tweet where it was essentially saying if we just say “oh he was young” were essentially telling 18 year olds who are affected by racism that it doesn’t matter, because the white kids are young they don’t have to worry about the consequences of their actions. Also his defence was that he said it because he was young, not because of his upbringing/who he surrounded himself with and why he thought it was OK, which sort of suggests he hasn’t actually learnt why it was bad....just that it is. That old adage of just learning what not to say in public.

Theyve set a precedent and banning players is going to be the course of action now which...is what it is. I don’t feel sorry for Ollie Robinson because he finally his actions have received a consequence, but if they’re just banning him and nothing else I.e. seriously attempting to educate him then what is the point?

On a side note it’s very telling that our current government are quick to intervene in this matter yet had no problem with an inquiry that said institutional racism doesn’t exist in this country.

More hysteria is created in this country by how we punish racism and the notion of just being accused of racism than by actually trying to deal with racism itself. Similar to how people get more upset that they can’t say the N word rather than that the word is still used and still carries that meaning. 

In this case Ollie Robinson shouldn’t be the victim but he is being painted as one.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Danny said:

On one hand it seems a bit rich, I don’t know what cricket is like but footballing authorities are terrible at dealing with racism/sexism/homophobia to the point that they are just encouraging it and yet if they find something from a player when they were a kid they’ll give them a ban.

On the other hand Ollie Robinson was 18 when he made that post, I read a tweet where it was essentially saying if we just say “oh he was young” were essentially telling 18 year olds who are affected by racism that it doesn’t matter, because the white kids are young they don’t have to worry about the consequences of their actions. Also his defence was that he said it because he was young, not because of his upbringing/who he surrounded himself with and why he thought it was OK, which sort of suggests he hasn’t actually learnt why it was bad....just that it is. That old adage of just learning what not to say in public.

Theyve set a precedent and banning players is going to be the course of action now which...is what it is. I don’t feel sorry for Ollie Robinson because he finally his actions have received a consequence, but if they’re just banning him and nothing else I.e. seriously attempting to educate him then what is the point?

On a side note it’s very telling that our current government are quick to intervene in this matter yet had no problem with an inquiry that said institutional racism doesn’t exist in this country.

More hysteria is created in this country by how we punish racism and the notion of just being accused of racism than by actually trying to deal with racism itself. Similar to how people get more upset that they can’t say the N word rather than that the word is still used and still carries that meaning. 

In this case Ollie Robinson shouldn’t be the victim but he is being painted as one.

These two points kind of contradict each other to be fair.

They do have to worry about their consequences of their actions because eventually it will come back to bite them. So if you're 18, think about what you write online - on FB, Twitter, Instagram etc.

I don't think him saying he was young negates any learning he might have picked up since. You could have the best upbringing and still be an absolute cunt through immaturity; it might not have been his upbringing or who he surrounded himself with. It was 'only' 9 years ago - social media was still rife at that time and even at 18 you're bound to make some mistakes. 

I agree that they should be educated as well as having to face the consequence of not playing a sport they may love or enjoy. Otherwise what is the point indeed. Banning them from the sport for a period of time, only for them to come back and play anyway without realising what exactly they have done is wrong is pointless.  

Agree that it's telling about the government getting involved - forgot to mention in my post that I have no idea why Johnson had to get involved. Ramprakash was right with his comments about the government having no right to have their say. 

23 minutes ago, Stan said:

These two points kind of contradict each other to be fair.

They do have to worry about their consequences of their actions because eventually it will come back to bite them. So if you're 18, think about what you write online - on FB, Twitter, Instagram etc.

I don't think him saying he was young negates any learning he might have picked up since. You could have the best upbringing and still be an absolute cunt through immaturity; it might not have been his upbringing or who he surrounded himself with. It was 'only' 9 years ago - social media was still rife at that time and even at 18 you're bound to make some mistakes. 

I agree that they should be educated as well as having to face the consequence of not playing a sport they may love or enjoy. Otherwise what is the point indeed. Banning them from the sport for a period of time, only for them to come back and play anyway without realising what exactly they have done is wrong is pointless.  

Agree that it's telling about the government getting involved - forgot to mention in my post that I have no idea why Johnson had to get involved. Ramprakash was right with his comments about the government having no right to have their say. 

What I mean is racism is a learned behaviour, so it would have to come from somewhere or someone. Pinning it on being young specifically rather than why he thought it was OK/where it came from doesn’t suggest he knows necessarily why it’s wrong if that makes sense. But of course you are much more susceptible to repeating ignorance when you are young because you’re less likely to understand it. Just saying solely pinning it down on being young is not enough.

I say that because it’s one of the reasons UKIP and the like had a major surge because Blair’s Labour and the left at that point spent a decade calling people racist without actually challenging it, so rather than knowing why something was bad people just knew not to say it...so when Farage came around they still believed in what they thought and then they had someone who would say it without consequence

4 hours ago, Stan said:

A lot of investigations by ECB in to their players and historical social media posts.

Ollie Robinson obviously the documented at the moment for racist/sexist/misogynistic tweets 9 years ago.

Allegedly Craig Overton for telling a Pakistani player while at Somerset 'to go back to your own country'.

Allegedly Buttler/Morgan for mocking, on Instagram, how Indian people speak.

And this morning they're investigating other instances of historical comments.

They've set the precedent with the Robinson incident. Suspending him from all cricket, however this is more so they can continue to 'investigate'. Michael Holding made a good and valid point yesterday; these are historical - if he has changed his ways, apologised, educated himself and matured since he was younger, should he continue to be banned/suspended? I agree when he says we all make mistakes when we're younger but if we can show we can learn from those lessons, why not give him second chances? Some of the above are instances when they were a teenager, when they probably didn't know better at all and still learning. I think the ECB have some very big decisions to make. It'd be a huge call to replace Robinson for Overton in the upcoming next test against NZ. 

What do others think of this whole scenario?  

For me, there is a huge disparity between some moronic tweets sent many years ago and allegations of direct on-pitch discrimination that you mention. Whilst the latter should of course be investigated and dealt with by the authorities, suspending a player for puerile and crass tweets they sent as a youngster is harsh and pointless. Fine the guy, make him take an education course of some kind, or speak to youngsters about the perils of social media, but banning is just draconian. 

You do wonder who is spending their time digging through old tweets, just looking for a juvenile, dense remark a player may have sent as a teenager. Quite malicious behaviour if you ask me. 

• Administrator
Just now, Ploughendplonker said:

You do wonder who is spending their time digging through old tweets, just looking for a juvenile, dense remark a player may have sent as a teenager. Quite malicious behaviour if you ask me. 

I suspect it's not anyone in capacity at ECB.

It's more likely a member of public digging it all up and bringing it to the public eye. Then it gets 'brought to the attention' of the ECB.

But it does indicate to any teenager around right now - careful what you tweet/post/comment on or about as you never know when it might come back to bite you if it can carry any kind of offensive nature

Just now, Stan said:

I suspect it's not anyone in capacity at ECB.

It's more likely a member of public digging it all up and bringing it to the public eye. Then it gets 'brought to the attention' of the ECB.

But it does indicate to any teenager around right now - careful what you tweet/post/comment on or about as you never know when it might come back to bite you if it can carry any kind of offensive nature

Doubt its the ECB, apparently the issue with regards to the player who allegedly tweeted something offensive when they were a child was via a report by Wisden (I thought they were an almanac not a private detective agency). 

My concern with this is, what kind of other stupid stuff (that we all do in our youth) will be used in the guilty until proven innocent court of social media? It feels like this could end up going well beyond crass posts on social media. What if one of them had a drunken brawl in a Wetherspoons when they were 18? Could a witness to that come forward to the ECB and say so-and-so did this-and-that 9-10 years ago and they get banned? 

Saying that, I thought it was absolutely idiotic for Dowden to publicly get involved in this. Has just prolonged the spotlight on Robinson. 

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Ploughendplonker said:

My concern with this is, what kind of other stupid stuff (that we all do in our youth) will be used in the guilty until proven innocent court of social media? It feels like this could end up going well beyond crass posts on social media. What if one of them had a drunken brawl in a Wetherspoons when they were 18? Could a witness to that come forward to the ECB and say so-and-so did this-and-that 9-10 years ago and they get banned? 

Ben Stokes did it a few years ago and was cleared xD 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Ben Stokes did it a few years ago and was cleared xD 

Thing is the reason Ben Stokes got off the criminal charge (and was able to eventually continue his career with his good name fully intact) was that couple who were able to clarify that Stokes was in fact defending them from harassment so he was rightfully exonerated. Had the couple not spoken up for him in such a way, there's a good chance he would've been found guilty, not played for his country again, and decried as an embarrassment to the nation in various programmes and publications. 

Top 10 Most ODI wickets in a calendar year

1. Saqlain Mushtaq (69) /1997

2. Saqlain Mushtaq (65) /1996

3. Saeed Ajmal (62) /2013

3. Shane Warne (62) /1999

5. Anil Kumble (61) /1996

5. Shaun Pollock (61) /2000

5. Abdul Razzaq (61) /2000

8. Waqar Younis (60) /1996

9. Ajit Agarkar (58) /1998

10. M Murlitharan (56) /2001