talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cricket

football forum

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Attending my first ever cricket match on Sunday. Got free tickets for the ODI at Headingley

Enjoy! Bet you're glad it's not as hot as a few days ago. 

On 21/07/2022 at 11:42, Pyfish said:

Attending my first ever cricket match on Sunday. Got free tickets for the ODI at Headingley

You couldn't pick a better ground for atmosphere too.

Headingley and Edgbaston probably the best two grounds in this country for atmosphere here.

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, Lucas said:

You couldn't pick a better ground for atmosphere too.

Headingley and Edgbaston probably the best two grounds in this country for atmosphere here.

Agree with Edgbaston. Never been to Headingly.

I'd through Old Trafford into the mix too, but probably just a tier lower than Edgbaston I guess. 

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Agree with Edgbaston. Never been to Headingly.

I'd through Old Trafford into the mix too, but probably just a tier lower than Edgbaston I guess. 

You've got to try and cross that one off, preferably an Ashes game. 

You won't beat it in this country. There's a reason why the Western Terrace is reknown for it's hostility and hospitable welcome to away fielders xD

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Stan said:

A proper taste of English cricket :D 

Saw just over 27 overs of South Africa batting. It was all for free so can't complain and I'd definitely go again. A cricket fan in the making here!

• 2 weeks later...
Razzaq played much much less than Dhoni. I had an argument with someone that Afridi should've only played until 2009-11 after that if not for politics he would've been like Balotelli in any other team. His argument was that all-rounders have a natural place in any team even if that was to be true for all cases Razzaq deserved a place over him any day.
Edited by Aladdin

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Been watching a few games of The Hundred. Enjoying what I've seen so far. I know it's not 'proper' cricket in the eyes of some, but it's good for a noob like me who is still new to the game in general.

Didn't even know we were playing.   First off a tour to England is going to be tough,  it was tough even when we went there with Amla, ABdV, Kallis, Smith, Steyn, Morkel.    Batting wise we are nowhere near that level but bowling we may actually be a better unit than that past Proteas team.   That team was so reliant upon Dale Steyn and the odd moments of consistency from Morkel,  in the 2012 it was Philander but this current attack has more total contribution,  if Rabada doesn't get you,  then Jansen or Nortjie can and even Vermuelen or Ngidi as back up offer more depth than that old team did.    

It will be about trying to maximise the lead and then bowl with the same discipline to try put England under scoreboard pressure and hope they capitulate. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Didn't even know we were playing.   First off a tour to England is going to be tough,  it was tough even when we went there with Amla, ABdV, Kallis, Smith, Steyn, Morkel.    Batting wise we are nowhere near that level but bowling we may actually be a better unit than that past Proteas team.   That team was so reliant upon Dale Steyn and the odd moments of consistency from Morkel,  in the 2012 it was Philander but this current attack has more total contribution,  if Rabada doesn't get you,  then Jansen or Nortjie can and even Vermuelen or Ngidi as back up offer more depth than that old team did.    

It will be about trying to maximise the lead and then bowl with the same discipline to try put England under scoreboard pressure and hope they capitulate. 

I can't remember who it was with but I had a conversation with someone on here about SA cricket squad and that you're pretty well set for a good few years with your bowling attack. So many options for different tours/series/pitches.

Rabada
Nortje
Ngidi
Jansen
Mulder
Phelukwayo
Olivier

That's some attack and all under 30 - so you've got at least 5/6 years of a selection of those. 

And even for spin, Maharaj and Shamsi are very good too for different formats. 

It's formidable to say the least. 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

I can't remember who it was with but I had a conversation with someone on here about SA cricket squad and that you're pretty well set for a good few years with your bowling attack. So many options for different tours/series/pitches.

Rabada
Nortje
Ngidi
Jansen
Mulder
Phelukwayo
Olivier

That's some attack and all under 30 - so you've got at least 5/6 years of a selection of those. 

And even for spin, Maharaj and Shamsi are very good too for different formats. 

It's formidable to say the least. 

Simon Harmer has also come back and he has added a new element to the spin bowling attack.   We do have a few young batsmen coming up who are getting more exposure in limited overs first,  so hopefully we can restock our batting depth in the not to distant future. 

Rabada feels like he has been around forever but is only 27 and Jansen is 22,  think they compliment each other well being a Left/Right combination and very similar bowlers.

On 25/08/2022 at 12:25, Beelzebub said:

Will try to watch the Asia Cup. It's an ok tournament when in T20 format, Shaheen is out so more toil for Babar.

Was a good game. Jadeja, Pandya played it easy and slowed the tempo after losing early wickets but good bowling by pace and spin. 

Commentator mentioned only once a team batting first has won a T20 at this stadium. India lost comfortably last year batting first also. Something needs to be done about this. I purpose team batting first should get some over(s) worth of extra runs based on their run rate at the end of innings.