talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cricket

football forum

• Administrator
2 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

@Devil-Dick Willie

If Russell was fit from the start, reckon it would have been the West Indies. 

I disagree.

I had high hopes for West Indies, as documented on here before the tournament started, but they totally failed to deliver. There's only so much Russell would have done. The best players on show for West Indies were Hope & Pooran and even then it wasn't all the time. 

They were very underwhelming and I don't even think I expected too much of them. Bangladesh or Pakistan would have deserved and taken the 4th spot if others didn't qualify.

I agree Bangladesh deserved that place more. They were an allround team from the rest.

It's just that Russell was in unreal form (he singlehandedly won KKR matches from impossible situations) but couldn't really bring it to the World Cup because of the injury. And with their bowling and batting they probably were the most exciting team of the tournament. 

Don't really agree with Pakistan. It was always going to be an uphill task for them after ending the first match getting -5 run rate. And they were quite inconsistent (which is typical of them). 

@today's match

Totally expect Guptill to finally come to the party and play a blinder of an innings, and then Boult wrecking havoc. 

Still think this has been a bat first and win kinda tournament, and I fancy it to continue that way. So, winning the toss is crucial.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

I agree Bangladesh deserved that place more. They were an allround team from the rest.

It's just that Russell was in unreal form (he singlehandedly won KKR matches from impossible situations) but couldn't really bring it to the World Cup because of the injury. And with their bowling and batting they probably were the most exciting team of the tournament. 

Don't really agree with Pakistan. It was always going to be an uphill task for them after ending the first match getting -5 run rate. And they were quite inconsistent (which is typical of them). 

@today's match

Totally expect Guptill to finally come to the party and play a blinder of an innings, and then Boult wrecking havoc. 

Still think this has been a bat first and win kinda tournament, and I fancy it to continue that way. So, winning the toss is crucial.

Regarding today, I'm hoping we can bat first and build a big total. There could be some rain later which means DLS may come in to play. 

I have faith in our bowling that if Boult can do anything, then Bumrah/Kumar/Shami can do so too.

I have been a Bhuvi fan over Shami, because he is a better death overs bowler, but on form Shami should have played here. This is a bizarre selection. 

Not surprised with Chahal getting in over Kuldeep. He was rested last match. Kuldeep hasn't been the same since Moeen blasted him in IPL, leaving him in tears. Jaddu did well in the last match.

Rest of the side looks good. Anything over 270 will be hard to chase. 

Edited by IgnisExcubitor

• Administrator

Bhuvi is much better under these kind of cloudy conditions. Should hopefully get a little bit of swing.

First ball review and it's wasted. Just me that thought it was so obvious it was going down leg?!

• Administrator

NZ 128-2 off 34 overs.

Very slow going from them but our bowling has been so good and disciplined. Pressure consistently put on the batsman so far. Williamson has been resilient for NZ.

• Administrator

Play to carry on tomorrow as this game has been pretty much washed out since 2pm. A shame really and the British weather wins again.

Bit of a farce, as well, having semi-finals in northern cities (where it usually rains more I dare say). As a comparison, Wimbledon has been totally unaffected today...

I love watching cricket games from England and Australia, but I hope that England never ever gets to host another World Cup. 

@match

Kiwis should aim at 260. With Taylor at the crease and 23 balls to play it's possible. Of course Bumrah will have a big say in that. But it would really be a competitive total for a semi. Also, I know they are professionals, but I wonder what mindset the players will be in. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

I love watching cricket games from England and Australia, but I hope that England never ever gets to host another World Cup. 

@match

Kiwis should aim at 260. With Taylor at the crease and 23 balls to play it's possible. Of course Bumrah will have a big say in that. But it would really be a competitive total for a semi. Also, I know they are professionals, but I wonder what mindset the players will be in. 

Mindset will be nothing like the fans for sure in terms of being bothered about returning for another day!

They'll be professionals as you say and they're all experienced enough to know the job at hand.

No, its not, and as I type this Kathartik gets out. With Nohit, captain douchebag and Rahul back in the sheds the only firepower left is Pant. Dhoni is a primadonna bitch who isn't a quarter of the player he was 5 years ago and Sir and Pandya are... bowling allrounders shall we say.  

You groom a man for two years for the number 4 spot and he performs at reasonable levels, but then you drop him for the World Cup because the other options are either fashionable or all-rounders. You then send other batsmen as injury replacements over him, forcing him to retire in anger. Rayudu must be enjoying this. 

Fair play to the Kiwis. Always said, if not us then them. Likeable bunch of players who should have won the 2015 title. Hopefully, they win this time. Though England and Australia are far ahead of them. 

Edited by IgnisExcubitor

• Administrator
1 minute ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

You groom a man for two years for the number 4 spot and performs at reasonable levels, but then you drop him for the World Cup because the other options are either fashionable or all-rounders. You then send other batsmen as injury replacements over him, forcing him to retire in anger. Rayudu must be enjoying this. 

Fair play to the Kiwis. Always said, if not us then them. Likeable bunch of players who should have won the 2015 title. Hopefully, they win this time. Though England and Australia are far ahead of them. 

Karthik's performances so far are exactly the reasons for me not wanting him to be included in the squad. Yes it's only been a small part to play but he's not taken his chances. Even against Bangladesh he got out very cheaply when he could have put a few runs on the board. Just very disappointing from him and I expected so much more. 

To be fair to Karthik he did well after breaking into the team. Not spectacular but good. His experience was also key. Today was the perfect match for him to perform and he squandered his chance. Hopefully, we move on from him. 

Rayudu was ideal for this situation. He has come in these situations for the national team, but more so for his Ranji side and IPL sides and steadied the ship while scoring at a decent pace. But he is not fashionable or a utility cricketer. His relationship with BCCI hasn't helped either. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

To be fair to Karthik he did well after breaking into the team. Not spectacular but good. His experience was also key. Today was the perfect match for him to perform and he squandered his chance. Hopefully, we move on from him. 

Rayudu was ideal for this situation. He has come in these situations for the national team, but more so for his Ranji side and IPL sides and steadied the ship while scoring at a decent pace. But he is not fashionable or a utility cricketer. His relationship with BCCI hasn't helped either. 

I can't imagine he'll be looked at favourably after his reaction to his omission from the side either.

Agree that he'd be ideal for this kind of situation. 

Run-rate creeping up to 6 an over now. Getting more difficult but it's important to keep what wickets we have left. Simply have to bat til the end.