talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cricket

football forum

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

Saffas were rubbing shite on the ball years before that, don't remember when he was chewing on a lolly and was putting pieces on the ball?

Thats very different, and also technically not against the rules. The only reason he got a ban was the high profile nature of the case. You can't use a foreign item to alter the condition of the ball. Faf used a lolly to secrete more saliva, which he then applied to the ball. Which isn't illegal. Unfortunately the ICC is really the 'indian, Australian english cricket council' 

Put it this way. In soccer if a player commits a foul they get a yellow card. If you try to break someones legs you get a red. Smith and the boys brought an axe onto the field and tried to decapitate someone. 

12 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Thats very different, and also technically not against the rules. The only reason he got a ban was the high profile nature of the case. You can't use a foreign item to alter the condition of the ball. Faf used a lolly to secrete more saliva, which he then applied to the ball. Which isn't illegal. Unfortunately the ICC is really the 'indian, Australian english cricket council' 

Put it this way. In soccer if a player commits a foul they get a yellow card. If you try to break someones legs you get a red. Smith and the boys brought an axe onto the field and tried to decapitate someone. 

Oh I thought de Plessis was actively putting small pieces on the ball to cover damage

Obviously India have to bat long to draw the match, but to have a real chance of winning it, its critical that Gill and Rohit bat for a long time, both to see off the new ball, and because they're both dangerous stroke players, who can keep the score ticking over. While Pujara and Rahane are going to be key to getting a draw, a few big innings from players who score at 60-70 runs per hundred balls will be needed for a win. 

58 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Obviously India have to bat long to draw the match, but to have a real chance of winning it, its critical that Gill and Rohit bat for a long time, both to see off the new ball, and because they're both dangerous stroke players, who can keep the score ticking over. While Pujara and Rahane are going to be key to getting a draw, a few big innings from players who score at 60-70 runs per hundred balls will be needed for a win. 

Cheap wicket for Gil and Pujara lucky to be in right now, that was a tight LBW call

13 minutes ago, Spike said:

Cheap wicket for Gil and Pujara lucky to be in right now, that was a tight LBW call

There was no way that was out. Back leg, on the crease line, my jaw dropped. 

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Maybe someone can explain to me why the BCCI and the Indian national team complain about everything all the time?

Because no one has WELCOMED THEM TO SYDNEY YET

Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

There was no way that was out. Back leg, on the crease line, my jaw dropped. 

Because no one has WELCOMED THEM TO SYDNEY YET

Could you imagine driving down to Sydney to soak up a few rays while trying to peer into some prime backpacker clunge and some bloke walks past and says into your ear 'Welcome to Sydney, mate'. That's prime time for a bottling

• Administrator

I can't see us winning this one. We needed a big stand from the openers like Smith and Labuschagne have done for you at 3 & 4. Twice. The obvious sad thing being that we can't rely on Kohli should that opening partnership fail. 

As for the ball tampering/foreign object thing, agree that every nation does it in one form or other. Aren't some players using the wax from their hair to rub on the ball? Possibly Cummins and/or Starc? I noticed Saini puts his hand to his mouth/lips very quickly before each ball, quickly rubs his trousers then rubs the ball. I can't work out how either is allowed under the current rules? 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Maybe someone can explain to me why the BCCI and the Indian national team complain about everything all the time?

Because it's in Indian nature to do so. They're perfectionists so if anything doesn't go the right way, there's the entitlement to complain. 

8 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Picking at the ball with your finger is illegal, but its one of those unwritten "we all do it, so no harm no foul" things.
Not even dirty bastard Afridi @McAzeem ever brought an object onto the field to tamper with the ball. It was unprecedented when it happened, and was an absolute disgrace. 

tenor.gif?itemid=16471024

5 hours ago, Stan said:

I can't see us winning this one. We needed a big stand from the openers like Smith and Labuschagne have done for you at 3 & 4. Twice. The obvious sad thing being that we can't rely on Kohli should that opening partnership fail. 

As for the ball tampering/foreign object thing, agree that every nation does it in one form or other. Aren't some players using the wax from their hair to rub on the ball? Possibly Cummins and/or Starc? I noticed Saini puts his hand to his mouth/lips very quickly before each ball, quickly rubs his trousers then rubs the ball. I can't work out how either is allowed under the current rules? 

Because it's in Indian nature to do so. They're perfectionists so if anything doesn't go the right way, there's the entitlement to complain. 

so i take it this is mainly true

https://m.economictimes.com/argumentative-too-emotional-are-indians-tough-to-work-with/articleshow/45638709.cms

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Spike said:

Mainly. I get it's all sweeping generalisations but the fact there's articles about it would hint majority of it can be applied.

I'd say Indians are generally far too opinionated which lends it's way to being too argumentative as well. Once an Indian has their mind on something, it needs a very strong argument to turn the head. You can multiply that by some amount when it comes to the intense nature of sport. Very driven, very passionate and at times arrogant. 

(I'm aware there's Indians on here who aren't like that and perfectly fine folk! Hence the comment about it being sweeping generalisations). 

5 hours ago, Stan said:

Mainly. I get it's all sweeping generalisations but the fact there's articles about it would hint majority of it can be applied.

I'd say Indians are generally far too opinionated which lends it's way to being too argumentative as well. Once an Indian has their mind on something, it needs a very strong argument to turn the head. You can multiply that by some amount when it comes to the intense nature of sport. Very driven, very passionate and at times arrogant. 

(I'm aware there's Indians on here who aren't like that and perfectly fine folk! Hence the comment about it being sweeping generalisations). 

I mean they are just observed patterns that don't apply to everyone but everyone is probably guilty of something on that list every now and then.  Every culture has their foibles, Australians do, and those foibles are probably the cause of heads butting in cricket. Aussies expect you to be able to take as much verbal abuse as one gives, probably too laid back for Indians but at the same time it's an oxymoron because of how aggressive/vulgar and direct Aussies are. Australian direct aggression versus Indian indirect argumentativeness is probably a bad mix.

Australia: 'You're a fucking dense cunt!'
India: "No! Sir, you are a very bad man, shameful behaviour!'

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Spike said:

I mean they are just observed patterns that don't apply to everyone but everyone is probably guilty of something on that list every now and then.  Every culture has their foibles, Australians do, and those foibles are probably the cause of heads butting in cricket. Aussies expect you to be able to take as much verbal abuse as one gives, probably too laid back for Indians but at the same time it's an oxymoron because of how aggressive/vulgar and direct Aussies are. Australian direct aggression versus Indian indirect argumentativeness is probably a bad mix.

Australia: 'You're a fucking dense cunt!'
India: "No! Sir, you are a very bad man, shameful behaviour!'

I couldn't have envisaged analogising that example any better. I even did the head-nod and finger-pointing for the India bit xD 

• Like 1

Great match. Wish Pant got that century. Australia will bitch and moan, but honestly, if Pant stayed out even half a session longer or Vihari hadn't randomly bust his hammy, India win that. 

Loved Ashwin DESTROYING Paine as well

Paine "can't wait to get you to the Gabba Ash"
Ashwin "Can't wait to get you guys back to India, we've won 3 series in a row"
Paine "qwiudidgei5843^%&%^H"
Ashwin then refuses to face up until Paine has finished his outright nasty rant. 

• Haha 1

• Administrator

Managed to watch until lunch when we got to 190-2. 

Genuinely surprised to wake up to a draw! Feel for Pant not getting the ton! Deserved it. You'd have liked him 'opening up a bit' @Devil-Dick Willie:P

Think Paine dropped 2 catches in the session I saw, think both were Pant, too. Considering we've lost Jadeja and no Kohli, plus Pant and Vihari playing with injuries, we've done amazingly to get a result from it, and to only be 70 odd away from actually winning. Pretty damn good considering how we lost the first test. 

Great stuff. Can't wait for the decider. Apparently Australia haven't lost a test match there in 32 years...