talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL To Reach Out To Global Audience With Live Streaming Service

football forum

Just now, Stan said:

Premier League matches, all of them, are readily available on several Canadian/American TV channels at 3pm i.e. we're shafted due to the shitty rule of no football to be aired on UK channels between 2.45pm and 5.15pm on a Saturday.

Doesn't matter about internet service or availability. That's not the point being made. Nobody is stopping us, correct. But I'd rather have matches accessible on clear HD coverage on TV as opposed to a relatively shitty pixelated, SD service with commentary in a different language and with a delay of about 2 minutes.

Pardon my ignorance, but why is that a rule? 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
4 minutes ago, Eco said:

Pardon my ignorance, but why is that a rule? 

The blackout rule was introduced during the 1960s when Football League chairmen believed televised matches had a negative impact on attendances at matches being played at the same time.

Supporters of the rule believe removing the blackout would "threaten the sanctity" of the traditional Saturday 3pm kick-off. Recent findings from the European Court of Justice suggest that the blackout period has little or no impact on attendances and, in fact, may restrict the European Commissions desire for cross-border access to audio-visual content.

12 minutes ago, Stan said:

The blackout rule was introduced during the 1960s when Football League chairmen believed televised matches had a negative impact on attendances at matches being played at the same time.

Supporters of the rule believe removing the blackout would "threaten the sanctity" of the traditional Saturday 3pm kick-off. Recent findings from the European Court of Justice suggest that the blackout period has little or no impact on attendances and, in fact, may restrict the European Commissions desire for cross-border access to audio-visual content.

We have blackout rules here also, but they are weird. So whereas I can watch every regional game here in Atlanta either home or away. However, if I wanted to watch the sports teams in Chicago, I could only do it if it were national televised OR I paid extra for the sports package. 

I’ve never known anything different in regards to the 3-5pm “blackout” and I really don’t feel that strongly about it. You don’t miss something you never had, do you? 

I’m sure if I wanted to, I could find a stream every matchday for [insert Premier League team] and watch the games anyway, so would I want to have to pay for something I already watch? Would I want to be filling the coffers of The FA or the Premier League? Not really, the money is better off in my pocket than theirs. 

The way people watch television is changing these days and I suppose the “blackout” should end but then again, if it does, won’t people just continue watching how they’re watching Football now?

10 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’ve never known anything different in regards to the 3-5pm “blackout” and I really don’t feel that strongly about it. You don’t miss something you never had, do you? 

I’m sure if I wanted to, I could find a stream every matchday for [insert Premier League team] and watch the games anyway, so would I want to have to pay for something I already watch? Would I want to be filling the coffers of The FA or the Premier League? Not really, the money is better off in my pocket than theirs. 

The way people watch television is changing these days and I suppose the “blackout” should end but then again, if it does, won’t people just continue watching how they’re watching Football now?

I subscribe to iFollow so that I can watch Pompey, and it's a game changer. HD feeds, no buffering, and I can safely watch on any device my heart desires. Today, since I'm at work, it'll be my phone, but usually it's the iPad or TV (via laptop). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/08/2018 at 17:23, Stan said:

Premier League matches, all of them, are readily available on several Canadian/American TV channels at 3pm i.e. we're shafted due to the shitty rule of no football to be aired on UK channels between 2.45pm and 5.15pm on a Saturday.

Doesn't matter about internet service or availability. That's not the point being made. Nobody is stopping us, correct. But I'd rather have matches accessible on clear HD coverage on TV as opposed to a relatively shitty pixelated, SD service with commentary in a different language and with a delay of about 2 minutes.

The games are regularly moved anyway so the blackout rule doesn't really have much of a purpose in now days. Should be scrapped in my opinion 

Archived