The better place to talk football.

Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle - Monday 25th November, 2019

football forum

• Administrator

Kick-off 20.00

Live on Sky Sports

170px-Aston_Villa.svg.png     VS     image.png

Match History
Newcastle 2-0 Aston Villa (Championship)
Aston Villa 1-1 Newcastle (Championship)
Aston Villa 0-1 Newcastle
Newcastle 1-1 Aston Villa
Newcastle 1-0 Aston Villa

Head to Head
Aston Villa - 55 wins
Draws - 37
Newcastle - 71 wins

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
8 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Had a pretty poor week from a fantasy football perspective and absolutely need John McGinn to do serious bits tonight.

Goal and assist would be marvellous.

Same. And Mings.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Lucas said:

Had a pretty poor week from a fantasy football perspective and absolutely need John McGinn to do serious bits tonight.

Goal and assist would be marvellous.

Same. I predicted a 1-0 win for Newcastle in the Prediction League so I'm torn between my allegiances to the Prediction League and my Fantasy League team... 

• The title was changed to Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle - Monday 25th November, 2019
  • Administrator

Easy win for Villa.

Grealish was everywhere and deservedly so man of the match.

Dubravka stopped it from being more than 2-0 and perhaps some wasteful Villa chances but Villa pretty much dominated the game from start to finish. There was perhaps 5 minutes after HT where Newcastle woke up a bit but other than that, Villa looked comfortable.

The sort of inconsistency that screams 15th place.

Still. I expect 8-10 points before Christmas with the fixtures we have. Putting us on 23-25 points for the midway mark which would be well on the way to safety.

Fun fact... our 14th successive away game on a Monday night (1 win, 1 draw, 12 defeats).

SkySports don't want to drive their equipment up from the Stoke warehouse on a monday. Weird.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I fancy a point off you lot simply because a lot of your fans by the M/A42 think of it almost like a derby. 

Coalville, Ashby way they do anyway. 

We frequently don't turn up at Villa to be honest so I wouldn't be totally surprised, but I think we'd have to be pretty comfortable favourites really, I think you look quite a hit and miss side - you can look both very good, and very bad, from game to game, inconsistent, but good enough to survive. For a newly promoted side I think that's acceptable even if you did spend loads.

We've been excellent lately though make no mistake, you'll have to play very well to get anything.

As for it being a derby, it is a bit but I don't feel like it's a vicious one. You've probably got a good 4/5 teams you see as a bigger game than us. There's a few of our fans who don't like Villa but I think a lot of it's Villa being largely accepted as the Midlands' biggest club, so naturally it feels a bit of a scalp. This also leads to you having the odd fan dotted about more than some of the other clubs in the region.

6 hours ago, Stan said:

It was in the 70s and 80s, apparently.

Think I remember one chant about filbert street being a shithole (among other midlands clubs) in the very early 90’s but I’ve not heard anything anti Leicester in 20 years. I think most were cheering you on a few years back in your title season. 

Tbh in the 80’s and very early 90’s before the PL era kicked off in earnest you had a bit more needle in the midlands between certaintly all the clubs. I’ve not heard anything except anti Blues and Albion in the last 10-15 years from our end but certainly there’s pockets against us. Coventry is a bizarre one they absolutely hate. 

Wolves seem desperate to manufacture a rivalry but I don’t really care about them tbh

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Think I remember one chant about filbert street being a shithole (among other midlands clubs) in the very early 90’s but I’ve not heard anything anti Leicester in 20 years. I think most were cheering you on a few years back in your title season. 

Tbh in the 80’s and very early 90’s before the PL era kicked off in earnest you had a bit more needle in the midlands between certaintly all the clubs. I’ve not heard anything except anti Blues and Albion in the last 10-15 years from our end but certainly there’s pockets against us. Coventry is a bizarre one they absolutely hate. 

Wolves seem desperate to manufacture a rivalry but I don’t really care about them tbh

I really don't know but I just remember people saying on our forum that the 'baby squad' had quite the reputation and the 'rivalry' with yourselves was much more than it is right now. Think we had big rivalry with Chelsea and Luton as well when it came to hooligans. 

10 minutes ago, Stan said:

I really don't know but I just remember people saying on our forum that the 'baby squad' had quite the reputation and the 'rivalry' with yourselves was much more than it is right now. Think we had big rivalry with Chelsea and Luton as well when it came to hooligans. 

Don’t think it was a hooligans thing, just a “we’re top dogs in the midlands, fuck the rest thing from us” mindset from us and a bit of “hate those cunts” from the rest against us. 

I can’t remember the chant but cov, Wolves, you, WBA, Blues, Forest got it so I’m attributing it to locality tbh

• The topic was unpinned

Archived